The Reno thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Nyarlathotep

The Reno thread

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:42 pm

This is my thread for all things Reno. Which in some ways is like a colder, less humid, landlocked Florida. I will start with this.

Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

xouper

Re: The Reno thread

Post by xouper » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:23 pm

I've driven through Reno a few times, but can't say I know much about it. Went there once for the world famous Air Races, but again, didn't really learn anything about Reno itself.

I lived in Tampa Bay for most of the 1990s and I'd be curious to know what you think it has in common with Florida. I lived near Boise for five years and I would be tempted to surmise that has more in common with Reno than Florida. But again, I'm not quite sure what things you're comparing.

Or perhaps I'm missing your point entirely. :oops:

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:26 pm

xouper wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:23 pm
I've driven through Reno a few times, but can't say I know much about it. Went there once for the world famous Air Races, but again, didn't really learn anything about Reno itself.

I lived in Tampa Bay for most of the 1990s and I'd be curious to know what you think it has in common with Florida. I lived near Boise for five years and I would be tempted to surmise that has more in common with Reno than Florida. But again, I'm not quite sure what things you're comparing.

Or perhaps I'm missing your point entirely. :oops:
You know how Florida has developed this reputation for being filled with weirdos? Reno seems to have plenty of them as well.

Imagine if Florida Man took up skiing, Reno would then become his natural habitat, is what I am trying to say.
Last edited by Nyarlathotep on Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:32 pm

I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard the primary reason Florida has such a reputation -- other than ed living there -- is due to laws that publicize all arrests. Those make for easy fillers for news publications, which in turn fuel the perception of weirdness.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:35 pm

Might be, I think its a similar thing here because we have plenty of slow news days (and, jokes aside, I think that's a good thing). So "Local Meth Head Does Stupid Thing" becomes the top story of the day.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:42 pm

Carson City is worse for slow news days though. About 10 or 15 years ago, "Beloved Local Burro Dies" was literally the top story in the Nevada Appeal, which is our local newspaper.

And a couple of years ago we had a little bit of flooding after a spectacularly wet winter. There was a stick in a retaining pond that, from the right angle and distance, resembled a sea monster's head. That stick made the news. Literally, there was a day when a stick was the most exciting thing going on in town.

Then, someone replaced the stick with a plywood cut out. The plywood cut out also made the news as recently as last December.

I am not complaining, mind you. It's the obverse of living in "interesting times". Still amuses me though.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:50 pm

I shot a man in Reno. Just to watch him die.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:54 pm

That was you? I didn’t die but I was in the hospital for weeks. Now I know...

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:03 am

You should call 9-1-1.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:21 am

b2b5f0786a5cb72dddf00d81fd3b9de8.jpg

On the other hand, maybe not. After all, it's only a flesh wound!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:29 am

And get Officer Booty Shorts?

Not a chance.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:02 am

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:22 am

We have a weird relationship with our horses around here.

Wait, let me rephrase that.

We have a love/hate relationship with our horses around here. Not much better, but I'll run with it. "Wild" horses are basically an invasive species, mostly they are descendants of domestic horses that have escaped over the years. Yet they are considered such a symbol of the state, that when they did the individual quarters for each state, that's what we chose to put on ours. We bitch when they eat our greenery, poop on our lawns and stand in the middle of the road where they can get hit (I have had several close calls myself). But we love the damned things and every time the BLM decides that the herds need to be culled because the herds are growing too big to be supported by the land, people get mad. This story is one that one sees all the time out here.

But it is something I like about living here. I took this pic a few months ago waiting in a parking lot. There had to be about 50 of them, scattered around the area. Not too many places where you can see this.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:44 am

Seems all contemporary wild horses are feral, even Przewalski's horse with its punk haircut (see https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/02 ... amily-tree):

Yet Charlemagne still hunted them; and aurochs:

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:51 am

Those are cool beasts. And an interesting article. Thanks

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:57 am

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:59 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:57 am

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:56 am

Too bad they do not have clips of George Lopez as the mayor.
--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

izittrue

Post by izittrue » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:47 pm

Reno Reno. Twice as friendly.
Will Rogers -
- Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:34 am

Get ready, Nyarl:
What to expect

Monday - A few light snow showers may form in the Sierra in the morning as the first wave actually passes us to the south. Up to 3 inches of snow possible in Mono and Alpine Counties, up to an in around Tahoe, and light rain/snow for the far western valleys with no accumulation expected.

Tuesday-Tuesday Night - The next wave will arrive with snowfall on the increase. 6 to 12 inches of fresh snow possible around Lake level with up to 18 inches along the Sierra crest. Cold air that will be trapped in the valley may cause a concern for the evening commute. The current solutions have the best chance for snow in Lassen and Plumas Counties, but the potential is there for snow in the Reno-Carson areas with 1 to 2 inches of snow, but confidence in this scenario is low, but worth mentioning.

Wednesday - This storm has varied its position in the models, but snow levels look to be around 5,500 to 6,000 feet which would put the foothills and higher with the best chance for snow. The valley would likely start out as a mix and change to snow as the temperatures come down. A lot of moisture appears to be associated with this storm. 1 to 2 feet of snow possible above 7,000 feet.

Thursday - This will be the BIG one of this weeks winter storms. The biggest concern for this day will be the potential for blizzard conditions. We will be tapping into a very large area of moisture along with very high upper level winds. 2 to 3 feet of snow above 7,000 feet is not out of the question and could be even more. Snow levels will start above 6,000 feet, but crash to the valley floor behind the cold front. Any leftover moisture will likely bring snow to the valley floor.

Snow totals in the Sierra from this weeks storm could exceed 5+ feet in total. Be prepared for major delays on all mountain passes.
https://mynews4.com/weather/major-winte ... oming-week

Here we had our first snow of the "winter": ~ 1 cm, lasted about five hours. This afternoon temperature was +9 (Celsius), ridiculous! :x