Question for my lead footed friends

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Nyarlathotep

Question for my lead footed friends

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:09 pm

Okay, this morning as I was driving the roads (at least the ones off the main highway) were kind of a mess from last night's snow. Nonetheless, I was doing the speed limit and that was probably a bit faster than I SHOULD have been going under the conditions. Someone begins to tailgate me, which pisses me off when I am doing the speed limit under normal conditions and seemed like the height of stupidity in the slushy, icy mess that existed. But ok. Can't do much about it because I definitely am NOT going to speed up.

Then the fucking fucker has the fucking balls to fucking honk at me. Fuck that guy. I think I just gained a little better understanding of how road rage incidents happen. If there were a way to make it happen, I'd throw him into a six-foot deep pit and fill it in with the nastiest, most well-used kitty litter I could find.

Now, I know a propensity for speeding is a common enough character trait that there has to be SOMEONE here who tends to put the pedal to the metal with regularity. So my question is this. What the hell goes through the mind of people like this? I almost get it when they do it under good conditions, a lot of speed limits seem awfully arbitrary ("Why is it 35 through here? Nothing but sagebrush and jackrabbits."), but I am not going to get a speeding ticket for some random stranger's convenience. It is utterly baffling when they do it when driving conditions are terrible. I DEFINITELY am not going wreck my car or break any of my bones for the convenience of said random asshole.

Anyone have any insight into the mind of people like this?
Last edited by Nyarlathotep on Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Question for my lead footed friends

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:16 pm

he was on his way to the hospital.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:23 pm

Then he was going the wrong way

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:48 pm

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:13 pm

That was pretty close to my fantasies the rest of the way home. Sadly, I rarely travel with armed goons in my back seat and left my own very large handgun in my other pants when I left the house.

Giz

Post by Giz » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:26 pm

Huh, I opened this thread expecting you to have trodden on an old miniature.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:38 pm

That would be a wholly different tragedy.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:47 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:13 pm
That was pretty close to my fantasies the rest of the way home. Sadly, I rarely travel with armed goons in my back seat and left my own very large handgun in my other pants when I left the house.
Many of your problems would be solved if you travel with armed goons more often and had a very large handgun in all of your pants.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:15 pm

I’ll keep that in mind

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:26 pm

If I were clever and/or egotistical, I would have said "I ALWAYS have a large gun in my pants"

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:26 pm

To seriously answers your question...

I like to drive very fast but I hate tailgating and tailgaters. Some people are just assholes who are also bad drivers and do not understand the danger of tailgating. The biggest thing they do not understand is how little time they save when doing all that. We're talking second, maybe a few minutes if the trip is long enough.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:33 pm

Sometimes not even that. I can't tell you how many times someone has blown past me like I was standing still, then I pull up next to them or right behind them at the next stoplight.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:59 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:33 pm
Sometimes not even that. I can't tell you how many times someone has blown past me like I was standing still, then I pull up next to them or right behind them at the next stoplight.
That too.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:08 pm

I remember something sort of like that a long time ago. First snow of the season. I knew it would be slippery but I was driving as fast as I felt I could safely drive under the conditions. Some guy came up behind me, obviously in a big hurry. This was a country road and nobody was coming the other way so before long he passed me. I thought that's nuts, but at least it's not my problem anymore.

Sure enough, another half a mile or so ahead I saw the same car off in a field beside the road. I just drove on by smiling to myself. Like a psychopath. 8)
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:18 pm

My car has to crawl to a near stop since, clearly, I am being warned of some emergency. I also prevent anyone passing, since it would prove most ungentlemanly to expect such Samaritans to face the risk on their own.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:39 pm

I thought about slowing way the fuck down, but because of the road conditions, I wasn't sure that even slowing down a little wouldn't end up with his grill in my trunk. And while I am sure that the police would cite him rather than me and the insurance would pay for it, Losing my car at this time, even for a few days for repairs, would be most inconvenient.

shemp
Title: stooge

Post by shemp » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:10 am

I work in Massachusetts. It's like this every day, a sea of tailgaters, roadrunners, macho men, texting fools, and just plain idiots. Perhaps the stupidest ever was a guy who pulled over to the right and ran to the center median to grab a stray hubcap, presumably to sell for scrap metal. With the assistance of an oil tanker truck, he didn't make it back to his car. I didn't see it happen, but I got there in time to see his covered body in the road.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:26 am

I have heard horror stories of Massachusetts (and especially Boston) traffic.

Luckily it usually isn't SO bad around here. Because we aren't that big of a city, traffic is usually pretty light. Oftentimes the only asshole on the road is me because I have the road to myself. I think that's why it irritated me so bad.

xouper

Post by xouper » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:59 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:39 pm
I thought about slowing way the fuck down, but because of the road conditions, I wasn't sure that even slowing down a little wouldn't end up with his grill in my trunk. And while I am sure that the police would cite him rather than me and the insurance would pay for it, Losing my car at this time, even for a few days for repairs, would be most inconvenient.
That's what rental cars are good for. When I got rear-ended by a tailgater, the other guy's insurance company arranged a rental car for me and even delivered it to my office that same day, no charge. I wasn't inconvenienced in the least because the other guy's insurance took care of everything without me having to lift a finger.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:23 am

You know, that option never occurs to me because in the past the only times I have been in accidents were when I was driving junkers that weren't worth full coverage. But yeah.

Still, worked out anyway.