Possibly moving from the land I love.

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Nyarlathotep

Re: Possibly moving from the land I love.

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:46 pm

My health happened. Antiques, frankly, can be heavy and I found I just couldn't hack it myself. And I couldn't afford to hire a guy to do that part for me.

Insurance was business idea #2, as technically I am in business for myself. Weighs nothing, but I found I suck at it and hate it.
Spoiler:
Quote Redacted by Section 31

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:57 pm

Got it. Though you might look into smaller things. There is also a lot of money to be made in militaria and guns.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:01 pm

True. Smaller items might still be on the menu. Collectibles too, like comics and trading cards. Gotta be careful with the latter though, as there is a lot of crap on the market.
Spoiler:

xouper

Post by xouper » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:05 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:46 pm
Insurance was business idea #2, as technically I am in business for myself. Weighs nothing, but I found I suck at it.
If it's any consolation, I suck at that too.

There are many jobs I'm just no good at.

Apparently I am also no good at teaching or tutoring (including mathematics and programming), according to a handful of people who have actually got in my face and told me straight out I suck at that. Which is why I felt it necessary to 'splain to my thesis committee I have no career aspirations as a professor, so they need not worry about turning me loose on academia. Besides, I wouldn't be interested in the cut in pay, but I didn't feel the need to tell them that part.

ed

Post by ed » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:07 pm

No reason you can't do both. Interwebs can make for a free standing business and then there are shows on the weekend. Forget guns, think collectables. I know guys what get their inventory from the shows they sell at. Folks come in, bida bang you make them an offer and you got something else to sell.

We use 3DCart and setting it up is easy. You use them to get a CC processor (it is easier if you are not selling guns) and you are ready to go. You could have a functional store in a morning.

Think about it, I'm happy to help.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:07 pm

Yeah, we all have our weak points. I think part of my problem is that, my internet persona aside, I am a really shy person who really does not like talking to other humans face to face. Stresses me out to no end, and in light of recent events it has only gotten worse. Thought I could overcome it enough to sell insurance, but I really can't
Last edited by Nyarlathotep on Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:09 pm

ed wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:07 pm
No reason you can't do both. Interwebs can make for a free standing business and then there are shows on the weekend. Forget guns, think collectables. I know guys what get their inventory from the shows they sell at. Folks come in, bida bang you make them an offer and you got something else to sell.

We use 3DCart and setting it up is easy. You use them to get a CC processor (it is easier if you are not selling guns) and you are ready to go. You could have a functional store in a morning.

Think about it, I'm happy to help.
That is what i was thinking. Gotta put bacon on the table right now, though. ANd I will see where I land in a month or two. Right now my life is...in flux.
Spoiler:

ed

Post by ed » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:17 pm

Well, think about it, my offer is out there, flapping in the wind like an old and tattered "I'm With Her" banner. (n.b. that means my offer is good).

You know what you could do ...
https://www.3dcart.com/freetrial.htm
Fool around with it for a hoot. You have some crap that you want to sell and can fit in a priority mail box? Take some pics do flat rate shipping and you can see what it would look like in an hour or two.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:22 pm

Thanks ed. I will absolutely take you up on your offer sooner or later. ANd I will experiment with that 3d cart. Poke around at what I have...
Spoiler:

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:23 pm

In other news. They rescheduled my damned interview. Turns out the conference room they wanted to use was in use or some such. So now the waiting drags on until tomorrow. Luckily its over skype so I am not spending an unexpected night in LA.
Spoiler: