Nyarlathotep appreciation thread.

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Nyarlathotep

Re: Nyarlathotep appreciation thread.

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue May 28, 2019 9:43 pm

I think I posted this elsewhere on this forum before, but there is also the 1910 version of Frankenstein

Spoiler:
Quote Redacted by Section 31

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue May 28, 2019 11:44 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:41 pm
That reminds me of something I found not too long ago, the first horror movie ever made. It may look cheesy as fuck, but those were some cutting edge SFX in 1896.
Which reminded me of the contemporary L'Arrivée d'un train en gare de La Ciotat from the Lumière brothers (50 s, 17 m film):

Clearly there is an enormous difference (apart from quality), one being theater and the other cinema. Quoting from the linked Wiki page:
Cinematic techniques

This film is interesting because it contains the first example of several common cinematic techniques: camera angle, long shot, medium shot, close-up, and forced perspective.

It is evident from their films, taken as a whole, that the Lumière brothers knew what the effect of their choice of camera placement would be. They placed the camera on the platform to produce a dramatic increase in the size of the arriving train. The train arrives from a distant point and bears down on the viewer, finally crossing the lower edge of the screen.

A significant aspect of the film is that it illustrates the use of the long shot to establish the setting of the film, followed by a medium shot, and then a close-up. As the camera is static for the entire film, the effect of these various "shots" is achieved by the movement of the subject alone. Nonetheless, it is these different types of shots are clearly illustrated here, and later film makers moved their cameras to achieve these shots.
As for the "sfx" part, in a way reality was enough:
Contemporary reaction

The film is associated with an urban legend well known in the world of cinema. The story goes that when the film was first shown, the audience was so overwhelmed by the moving image of a life-sized train coming directly at them that people screamed and ran to the back of the room.

[snip]

3D version

What most film histories leave out is that the Lumière Brothers were trying to achieve a 3D image even prior to this first-ever public exhibition of motion pictures. Louis Lumière eventually re-shot L'Arrivée d’un Train with a stereoscopic film camera and exhibited it (along with a series of other 3D shorts) at a 1934 meeting of the French Academy of Science. Given the contradictory accounts that plague early cinema and pre-cinema accounts, it's plausible that early cinema historians conflated the audience reactions at these separate screenings of L'Arrivée d’un Train. The intense audience reaction fits better with the latter exhibition, when the train apparently was actually coming out of the screen at the audience. But due to the fact that the 3D film never took off commercially as the conventional 2D version did, including such details would not make for a compelling myth.
And madame Lumière is in the movie:

:mrgreen:

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:50 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:51 am

Cthulhu!
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:40 pm

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos. -- Abdul Alhazred

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:07 am

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:51 am

A scene from the Lon Chaney Phantom of the Opera.
Spoiler:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:14 am

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:04 am

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:24 am

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:32 am

Why did they not shoot it in technicolor?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:06 pm

As of today, Nyarlathotep is now certified to know the bare minimum to be allowed to sell Property and Casualty Insurance in the state of Nevada. In short, I passed my licensing exam today.

Elder Gods HELPING YOU when your building gets destroyed is an idea which is frankly kind of ass-backward but THIS elder god likes money and wasn't making enough of it by telling people how much they owed on their cars, sooooooo.......
Spoiler:

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:20 pm

:figamagee:

And don't believe one second we all don't see through your thinly disguised elder god plot, selling "insurance", ha!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:29 pm

Nice building you have there. It would be a shame if it fell into an interdimensional void. Of course, I could prevent that.

(Also, if your building ever falls into an interdimensional void, you better hope your coverage is written on an open peril basis because I guarantee you that shiznit won't be covered otherwise)
Spoiler:

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:35 pm

Have you already started with these contracts written in people's own blood? :twisted:

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:00 pm

Not yet.

Soon. In training with my new employer from June 10 to July 1. Then the blood contracts begin
Spoiler:

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:19 am

Damnable Ass-Rapin' Chinamen!

Dibs on his stereo.

And tentacles.

Those are for a friend.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:39 pm

Thieved from a certain other forum.

Drag the little orange guy onto the map.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.5428292 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:02 pm

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:44 pm