One Man and his Fag-o-Cycle

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Re: One Man and his Fag-o-Cycle

Post by asthmatic camel »

Hmmm. My every day bike weighs in at around 30 lbs plus another 10 lbs in accessories, (lock, water bottle, lights, rack, panniers etc.) On top of that, I routinely carry a cycle bag with tools, repair kit, radio, waterproofs and so on that weighs another 5 lbs or so. Let's say I'm shifting an extra 45 lbs, a quarter of my current weight, around compared to a man walking. However, I'm not physically having to carry the weight, only changing its momentum, so it's not easy to make a direct comparison. Anyone have the physics to be able to work it out?
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

I'll be giving it another shot in a few days.

Followup in the "Feats" thread afterward. 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

309ec099a254f64dc5aae1cbf75cf7d7.jpg

She has a serious 'fit' going on. Looks good on 'er too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Italian war hero.

Yes they exist.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:
Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

From Wikipedia:
Husqvarna (pronounced [ˈhʉ̂ːsˌkvɑːɲa]) is a Swedish company founded 1689 to produce muskets. The company has grown since, was partitioned, and is now a brand of multiple companies.
:mrgreen:
asthmatic camel

I've never seen Manchester this quiet. Even the tramps have disappeared!

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

You're not supposed to be cycling that far from home during the lockdown. You're breaking the guidelines which currently have the force of law. The police could issue you with a £60 on-the-spot fine, increasing to £960 for persistent offending.

You may argue that the guidelines are stupid. Most people who don't follow government advice do the same.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Is it really a fine-able offense over there now? Hasn't come to that here yet, but I suppose it could before it's over.
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

There aren't many police on the streets in the UK: even when there are any, they wouldn't normally stop you. If they do stop you, they'll most likely only ask you where you're from, why you're out, and where you're going. And then they'd most likely only advise you not to stray too far from home.

But the government advice is, "No unnecessary journeys", "Minimize the amount of time you are out of your home for exercise", and, "Stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible – do not travel unnecessarily."

In the UK, the so-called "government advice" relating to the coronavirus lockdown carries the force of a "statutory instrument" and the police are allowed to enforce it.

Coronavirus: What powers do the police have? - BBC News

It's not completely clear what the law allows regarding cycling exercise - the police officers have been granted an enormous amount of discretion. I think the government would prefer that cyclists only go out once per day, for up to an hour, and do laps of sparsely populated areas close to their homes rather than venture further away.

I suppose it makes some sense - if you were unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident or a big mechanical breakdown while many miles away, that would likely cause a lot more unnecessary travel and contact between people than if you remain within walking distance of home.

Personally, I'd like to see more cyclists observing the 'not within two metres of another person' rule. I've been out walking for exercise, and by keeping away from some places, carefully watching other pedestrians, crossing the road or standing off the path when necessary - I've been able to keep my distance from other walkers. But I've had quite a few cyclists zoom up from behind me unseen and unheard, and pass by me within two or three feet.
asthmatic camel

ceptimus, I was out for an hour, alone at 2.00 in the morning and travelled about fifteen miles in a circular route. I'd say that's local. There aren't any "sparsely populated areas" near me. Several police saw me, none were interested.

The rules state:
"Leaving home
Going out for these reasons is allowed, but limited:

Shopping for basic necessities: “as infrequently as possible”.
Taking one form of exercise a day, for example, a run, walk, or cycle: alone or with members of your household."

I've broken no rules.
solely

Post by solely »

I really enjoy those pictures above, tramps aren't the only thing missing I don't see any trash on the ground
like I see here in the US. Thanks ac.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

AC: So where are the tramps? Or ex-tramps as the case may be.

ceptimus: You're not a nark are you? :o
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
sparks

Post by sparks »

Enough politics, let's get back to the important stuff:
462eda3d271b72c1378ca38ca67fdd70--girls-on-bicycles-girls-on-bikes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
asthmatic camel

The homeless have been put up in hotels for the duration. Linky.

It may seem counterintuitive but Manchester city centre is probably the most sparsely populated area for miles around: there's hardly any private accommodation. Anyways, ceptimus can sleep soundly in the knowledge that I am obeying not only the letter of the law but also the spirit. Apart from my nightly bike ride, the only time I've left home at all since the lockdown began was to attend my BIL's funeral. And then, due to a strict fifteen person limit, I wasn't allowed into the chapel for the service, nor was I even allowed to sit in our car on the cemetary grounds. I had to walk out of the grounds and stand on the street.
robinson
Title: Sweetheart

Post by robinson »

I agree with sparks on this matter
asthmatic camel

sparks, it's a fine-able offense if you're blatantly flouting the guidelines or ignore police advice to discontinue what you're doing. I've not been out during the day but Mrs. Camel informs me that people are taking this seriously and being very sensible. I live virtually next-door to a large supermarket which is only allowing a few people in at a time: customers are queueing, patiently, (we Brits are great at forming orderly queues), two meters apart all around the car park. :)
Last edited by asthmatic camel on Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.