Happy One Gaint Leap Day

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
User avatar
Rob Lister
Posts: 22659
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed

Happy One Gaint Leap Day

Post by Rob Lister »

On this day in 1969, Neal Armstrong walked on the moon.

I was wearing my space helmet while watching on our 19" inch B&W console TV. Walter Cronkite was hosting. It was the most exciting thing I'd ever seen at the tender age of 9. Now, 50 years later, I think it still might just be.

User avatar
Rob Lister
Posts: 22659
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed

Re: Happy One Gaint Leap Day

Post by Rob Lister »

Image

User avatar
ed
Posts: 38403
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: G_D

Re: Happy One Gaint Leap Day

Post by ed »

I was home watching. I photographed the TV with my Dad's Argus 35mm camera, wonder where those pictures are.

I remember there was a crowd in Central Park that the news cut to now and then. I recall that they engaged in a chany of my youth:
Oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh SHIT
The reporter smiled at that.

It was beyond amazing.

Thanks for the thread Rob
About that stereo

Nyarlathotep
Posts: 49386
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: Happy One Gaint Leap Day

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Yeah, but it is tempered for me because it seems like the people who believe it is was faked, and that it was impossible because the Earth is flat have become the majority.

My how we are progressing

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 83737
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago

Re: Happy One Gaint Leap Day

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:49 pm
Yeah, but it seems like the people who believe it is was faked, and that it was impossible because the Earth is flat have become the majority.
You mean outside the internet?

Well you do deal with the public more than I. :o
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

User avatar
Doctor X
Posts: 72487
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom

Re: Happy One Gaint Leap Day

Post by Doctor X »

The Flat-Earthers get attention because they are so stupid. I fear they willfully ignorant not simply because of the religious basis for belief in a Flat Earth, but out of an active disdain for anything they do not bother to understand.

A similar case was the infamous St. Bill's "tides come in, tides come out" apologetics. He could not explain the tides; his guest and anyone with some time and access to a computer with a decent connection to Al Gore's Greatest Invention can.

Unfortunately, Flat-Earth has become a thing for one or two prominent NBA players who are, no surprise, phenomenally stupid. They get attention in an "oh look at the village idiot!" kind of way.

Flat-Earthers have to deny the Moon landing for obvious reasons. I think most of the "garden variety" doubters like Joe Rogan was, and a Sports Dude I am aware of, just get excited thinking they learned something when they know they do not understand how it was done. The "If I can't get it, NO ONE CAN!" phenomenon again. I believe Rogan finally fell to the evidence dumped on him; the Sports Dude is too lazy and intellectually dishonest to learn. He got his ass handed to him by responding to the Ideal Gas Law with a "so you say," response.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Nyarlathotep
Posts: 49386
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: Happy One Gaint Leap Day

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:55 pm
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:49 pm
Yeah, but it seems like the people who believe it is was faked, and that it was impossible because the Earth is flat have become the majority.
You mean outside the internet?

Well you do deal with the public more than I. :o

People who talk about it on the internet still exist even when they are away from their screens
Last edited by Nyarlathotep on Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 83737
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago

Re: Happy One Gaint Leap Day

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:15 pm
Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:55 pm
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:49 pm
Yeah, but it seems like the people who believe it is was faked, and that it was impossible because the Earth is flat have become the majority.
You mean outside the internet?

Well you do deal with the public more than I. :o

People who talk about it on the internet still exist off even when they are away from their screens
True enough.

They must be discreetly keeping it to themselves when directly confronted by my forbidding countenance.

Image
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 83737
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago

Re: Happy One Gaint Leap Day

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Mark Steyn:

https://www.steynonline.com/9562/the-lost-frontier

Teaser:
...

It was not a sure thing. In 1961 the Soviets had it all over the Americans in the space race: They had already reached the moon, with the unmanned flight Luna 2, and they had put a man in space, Yuri Gagarin. Gagarin and the cosmonauts were inspirational figures well beyond the Warsaw Pact. By contrast, all the US unmanned missions had been failures, and their astronauts were earthbound - or sub-orbital at best. Kennedy was cautioned against his moon speech on the grounds that he was setting America up for very public humiliation.

...
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

User avatar
Rob Lister
Posts: 22659
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed

Re: Happy One Gaint Leap Day

Post by Rob Lister »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:15 pm
Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:55 pm
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:49 pm
Yeah, but it seems like the people who believe it is was faked, and that it was impossible because the Earth is flat have become the majority.
You mean outside the internet?

Well you do deal with the public more than I. :o

People who talk about it on the internet still exist even when they are away from their screens
I'm not certain that is true. I've yet to meet a non-digital true-to-life flat-earther.

Nyarlathotep
Posts: 49386
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm

Re: Happy One Gaint Leap Day

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Rob Lister wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:09 pm
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:15 pm
Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:55 pm
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:49 pm
Yeah, but it seems like the people who believe it is was faked, and that it was impossible because the Earth is flat have become the majority.
You mean outside the internet?

Well you do deal with the public more than I. :o

People who talk about it on the internet still exist even when they are away from their screens
I'm not certain that is true. I've yet to meet a non-digital true-to-life flat-earther.

They put a billboard up near me. They got interviews on the news

User avatar
asthmatic camel
Posts: 19343
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:53 pm
Title: Forum commie nun.
Location: Stirring the porridge with my spurtle.

Re: Happy One Gaint Leap Day

Post by asthmatic camel »

I was three years old and clearly remember my mother sitting my brother and me in front of the T.V., saying, "You must remember this." The earliest reliably datable memory I have. :)
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 83737
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago

Re: Happy One Gaint Leap Day

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

User avatar
Witness
Posts: 28287
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: Happy One Gaint Leap Day

Post by Witness »

The Gaint Leap© is notoriously difficult to master. :twisted:

I watched it on TV somewhere in Southern France (and fell asleep while waiting for the action) before going on a hitch-hicking tour of Spain with a friend.

User avatar
Pyrrho
Posts: 29587
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6

Re: Happy One Gaint Leap Day

Post by Pyrrho »

ed wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:16 am
I was home watching. I photographed the TV with my Dad's Argus 35mm camera, wonder where those pictures are.

I remember there was a crowd in Central Park that the news cut to now and then. I recall that they engaged in a chany of my youth:
Oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh SHIT
The reporter smiled at that.

It was beyond amazing.

Thanks for the thread Rob
Re: your pictures...the Internet provides...and this is what I saw back then.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

User avatar
ed
Posts: 38403
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: G_D

Re: Happy One Gaint Leap Day

Post by ed »

asthmatic camel wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:17 pm
I was three years old and clearly remember my mother sitting my brother and me in front of the T.V., saying, "You must remember this." The earliest reliably datable memory I have. :)
And time went by.
About that stereo

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 83737
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago

Re: Happy One Gaint Leap Day

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

ed wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:30 am
asthmatic camel wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:17 pm
I was three years old and clearly remember my mother sitting my brother and me in front of the T.V., saying, "You must remember this." The earliest reliably datable memory I have. :)
And time went by.
Does this mean AC is a young whippersnapper as well as an old fart? :P
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

User avatar
ed
Posts: 38403
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: G_D

Re: Happy One Gaint Leap Day

Post by ed »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:42 am
ed wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:30 am
asthmatic camel wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:17 pm
I was three years old and clearly remember my mother sitting my brother and me in front of the T.V., saying, "You must remember this." The earliest reliably datable memory I have. :)
And time went by.
Does this mean AC is a young whippersnapper as well as an old fart? :P
No, that his mom was named Sam.
About that stereo

User avatar
ed
Posts: 38403
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: G_D

Re: Happy One Gaint Leap Day

Post by ed »

About that stereo

User avatar
asthmatic camel
Posts: 19343
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:53 pm
Title: Forum commie nun.
Location: Stirring the porridge with my spurtle.

Re: Happy One Gaint Leap Day

Post by asthmatic camel »

ed wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:44 am
Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:42 am
ed wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:30 am
asthmatic camel wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:17 pm
I was three years old and clearly remember my mother sitting my brother and me in front of the T.V., saying, "You must remember this." The earliest reliably datable memory I have. :)
And time went by.
Does this mean AC is a young whippersnapper as well as an old fart? :P
No, that his mom was named Sam.
This November, I reach the grand old age of fifty-five, which I'm sure is significant for one reason or another.

Prolly 'coz my age now equals the number of times I have to get up to pee during the night.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.