Declawing Cats

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Declawing Cats

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:52 am

New York became the first US state to ban the declawing of cats Monday, joining most of Europe, several Canadian provinces, and a growing list of American cities that already prohibit a procedure animal advocates call cruel and unnecessary. Gov. Andrew Cuomo, a Democrat, signed the New York ban, the AP reports. Supporters of the new law, which took effect immediately, predict it will lead to similar proposals across the country. "This is a real triumph for cats and the people who love them," said Assemblywoman Linda Rosenthal, D-Manhattan, who pushed for years and who yielded to temptation when it came feline-themed puns on Monday. "This has catapulted New York to a leadership position when it comes to cruelty against felines." According to The Paw Project, a California-based group that supports bans on declawing, bills to prohibit the procedure are pending in several states, including New Jersey, California, and Massachusetts, where lawmakers held a hearing on the measure Monday.

Declawing a cat involves slicing through bone to amputate a cat's toes back to the first knuckle. The operation was once commonly performed to protect furniture and human skin from feline scratching but has in recent years come under scrutiny by animal welfare advocates, cat owners, and many vets. While many vets urged lawmakers to pass the ban, the state's largest veterinary organization opposed the bill. The New York State Veterinary Medical Society argued that declawing should be allowed as a last resort for felines that won't stop scratching furniture or humans—or when the cat's owner has a weakened immune system, putting them at greater risk of infection from a scratch. Under the bill, which easily passed the Democrat-led Senate and Assembly in early June, veterinarians could still perform the procedure for medical reasons, such as infection or injury.
https://www.newser.com/story/278158/thi ... awing.html

The right of the cats to keep and bare claws shall not be infringed.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Declawing Cats

Post by sparks » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:38 pm

To protect furniture and human skin.

If you're wound so tightly as to fear these things, then it becomes perfectly simple: Don't keep cats.

"Infection or injury" would be the only acceptable reasons for doing this to any animal.

And Rob, nice one liner at the end. Not up to your usual standards. A bit of a groaner.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:51 pm

Cats kill cute birds, trouble my game leg and aggravate my asthma.

Declaw them?

Shoot the fuckers on sight.

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:56 pm

Well, I would shoot the fuckers on sight but I live next door to a pussy-loving police constabless who knows about my collection of air guns.

Now and then it pays to be prudent.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:01 pm

No worries AC. Do as you must.

But be warned: You are building a world for yourself in cat after-life.

It can either be pleasant, or... :)

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:04 pm

sparks wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:38 pm
To protect furniture and human skin.

If you're wound so tightly as to fear these things, then it becomes perfectly simple: Don't keep cats.

"Infection or injury" would be the only acceptable reasons for doing this to any animal.

And Rob, nice one liner at the end. Not up to your usual standards. A bit of a groaner.
I was hoping those as wise as you would see the double standard.

Sometimes I misjudge.

sparks

Post by sparks » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:13 pm

Sometimes?

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:29 pm

This is one such case.

sparks

Post by sparks » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:34 pm

Cute but shallow.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:03 pm

I wouldn’t declaw my cats. They are inside kitties and don’t go outside, so they don’t need the claws, but it still bothers me on a level I can’t really articulate. I consider the ‘cat pox’ I have (the tiny scratches on my arm from when they knead their claws into my arms while I am petting them) to be a sign of their affection and consider the occasional accidental scratch just one of the hazards of keeping furry little buddies with knives on their feet.
The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time.