Electric Scooters are appearing all over

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Electric Scooters are appearing all over

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:22 pm

I counted 24 yesterday on the way to 7-11, a 1.6-mile journey. All parked 6 at a time on top of street gutter tops between the sidewalk and the street. Another trip today counted ~6. I assume 18 were either checked out or at the bottom of drainage ponds.

Drainage ponds seem to be the best bet. We're in a neighborhood where the only adults that 'walk' are walking their dogs and do it for the exercise. Lots of kids walk and I suppose kids might use them, given the credit. But they are also most apt to throw them in a drainage pond. I've got no issue with them. I wish them well.

...err...kids and scooters.

Grammatron

Re: Electric Scooters are appearing all over

Post by Grammatron » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:58 pm

I live in an apartment building in the heart of Hollywood and there's at best an overwhelming amount of those electric things. Different kinds too. Mostly it's standing scooter but in the last few month there have been an addition of peddle-less electric bikes.

I saw some kids dissembling one of those bikes few weeks ago. They removed the GPS tracker and the system that "beeps" when the bike is moved without paying. They left those parts there and took off. It was a neat cyberpunk-like moment. But mostly I hate the fucking things because of how tourists use them. They drive too fast on sidewalks, wrong way on the streets, at night with no reflective clothing; and leave them wherever: driveways, streets, pathways. I usually ignore them, but if they ever block my driveway I chuck them as far as I can.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:01 pm

Showing up in Reno too. Which surprises me, since Lime bikes pulled out of reno precisely because Reno residents had a nasty habit of chucking their bicycles into the Truckee River. So of course, it only makes sense to put in even more expensive electric scooters.
The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time.

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:10 am

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:32 am

South Park made an episode about them. I saw the episode just before a trip to Boston, and there they were. I figure someone must be making money from these things, but I don't know how. I have to believe it costs more to repair and replace the ones that have been stolen, hacked, or vandalized than the money made from people who use them. Right?
Such potential!

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:21 am

Having been "to town" today after quite some time where the heat kept me at home, I had to notice them too. Driven by the expected douchebags.

We live in the Time of Toys™: phones 1 (and their games), earbuds, scooters, the colors of clothes, uniforms for bikers aping the pros' garb, skates… all would suit young children.

1 A dude behind me in the tram blew a fuse while phoning and literally yelled he was going to put the local IRS on his conversation partner. Even behaviors become childish. :mrgreen:

Yes, I'm a grumpy old man.

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:24 am

They just started that here, I bet we have a drive-by shooting from a scooter before Labor Day. We've already had several on Divvy bikes.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:26 pm

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:35 pm

Reddish Vale Men in Sheds.

So it's gingers only is it? :p
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos. -- Abdul Alhazred

asthmatic camel

Post by asthmatic camel » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:50 pm

Reddish is probably a corruption of the old English rēad-dīc, an ancient, defensive earthwork that is still visible a mile away from me.

Linky

So there!
Last edited by asthmatic camel on Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:57 pm

:BigGrin3:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos. -- Abdul Alhazred

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:43 am

Even Rob got one! :shock:

:lmao:

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:31 am

Witness wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:21 am
We live in the Time of Toys™
As I don't watch movies or go to "fun" parks (and hate crowds anyway), I forgot about that part (but Nyarl's rant made me see it: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49307&p=963717#p963627): entertainment has become childish too, from superhero movies to Disneyland. Here's a take on the last:
Childless Adult Couples Now Majority of Disney World Visitors

Since it’s opening in 1971, Disney World has been the destination of choice for children across the country and a surefire way for parents to create lasting memories with their family. But with the cost of a single-day’s entry now well over $100.00 per person and a youth population dispassionate about Disney’s antiquated brand of wholesome, non-virtual entertainment, the Park has been forced to cater to a once-fringe group of visitors: Nostalgic adult couples without children.

“For years we tolerated, but never really encouraged, adults without children to visit our parks. In truth, we were always very suspicious about the 20 and 30-somethings who wanted to walk around a theme park designed to entertain 5-year-olds. But now, god-bless-them, those millennial yuppies make up more than half of our daily visitors,” said Disney CEO Bob Iger. “We’re working very hard to make sure these adult visitors have an enjoyable experience and continue to come back to our parks.”

Disney has several new attractions in the works that it believes will appeal to nostalgic millennials, including reviving several “retro” attractions like the perpetually dull Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride and Figment’s Journey into Imagination. The Park has also entered into licensing agreements with non-Disney owned movie studios to create new attractions for its childless visitors, including a Wes Anderson inspired Christmas parade titled “The Royal Tenenbaum’s Tannenbaum” and a Donnie Darko themed space-time adventure called “Donnie Darko’s Cellar Door”. The Park will also completely replace Adventureland with a new themed area called “Portland.”
Parody, of course

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:14 am

Paris has had it with the electric scooters (Le Monde article).

Summary:
  • parking prohibited on the sidewalks (they'll have to share with motorbikes)
  • driving on the sidewalks will soon be prohibited in the whole country
  • financial crackdown on rental companies which had free access to public space (charging stations), resulting in 12 of them flocking to Paris and a fleet of ~ 20,000 scooters
  • ultimately vetting of said companies so that only two or three remain (awaiting new regulations which are in the pipeline)