Is it mean?

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Is it mean?

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:56 pm

ed wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:01 pm
No. Thru a tunnel that BEGINS off the coast of mexico so he crosses the border illegally.

See? We get to make a political statement then. And the first guy he kills has orange hair. And is eating a taco.
You're right.

More current year Hollywood that way. :mrgreen:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:56 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:39 pm
Tahoe is an idyllic, crystal clear mountain lake.
Certainly a trap.

So you fit right in? Good. Just don't forget to rub some fish on your clothes to remain inconspicuous.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:02 am

Ok, more "is it mean"-ness

Today is my birthday, and I forgot the cardinal rule of my Birthday which is "never, ever, EVER, under any circumstances, attempt to eat in a restaurant in Reno for my birthday". Why? because Reno's biggest tourist event of the year, "Hot August Nights" (some sort of 'classic cars + 1950s nostalgia thing) is always right around my birthday and every restaurant is packed with aging Baby Boomers trying in vain to recapture their long lost youth.

So, in light of this, is it mean that this year I dubbed it "BoomerCon 2019"?

I mean, I try not to get into the whole "Boomers vs Millenials thing", especially since I would technically be neither (I think I would be Gen X, but don't really give a fuck. Which, ironically, is a very Gen X thing to do) but when I had to wait an hour and a half for a table to have my Birthday Shrimp, getting surlier by the moment, and noticing that it was mostly people who were obviously here for BoomerCon. I couldn't help but think "fuckin' boomers every 30 seconds or so.
Spoiler:
Quote Redacted by Section 31

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:23 am

Not at all. Fucking boomers.

I too am Gen X, the cool generation.

X is just a cool letter. That's why they chose it for The X Games, right?
It just wouldn't have worked if they used a different letter. I mean, think about it. "The P Games"? Nope. "The W Games"? Not that either. Has to be "X".

Therefore, Gen X is the best generation. :De_Bunk:
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:29 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:02 am

Today is my birthday, and I forgot the cardinal rule of my Birthday which is "never, ever, EVER, under any circumstances, attempt to eat in a restaurant in Reno for my birthday". Why? because Reno's biggest tourist event of the year, "Hot August Nights" (some sort of 'classic cars + 1950s nostalgia thing) is always right around my birthday and every restaurant is packed with aging Baby Boomers trying in vain to recapture their long lost youth.

I mean, I try not to get into the whole "Boomers vs Millenials thing", especially since I would technically be neither (I think I would be Gen X, but don't really give a fuck. Which, ironically, is a very Gen X thing to do) but when I had to wait an hour and a half for a table to have my Birthday Shrimp, getting surlier by the moment, and noticing that it was mostly people who were obviously here for BoomerCon. I couldn't help but think "fuckin' boomers every 30 seconds or so.
You think that's bad. Look at how much of a juggernaut nostalgia is in culture these days and imagine what it will be like when everyone is old. Bunch of octogenarians coming to Reno dressed as Harry Potters.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:19 am

Into each life, a little rain must fall. Here's to hoping ours isn't black mud and radioactive.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:13 am

Happy, kiddo.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:10 pm

I suppose I'm a boomer.

To me boomer nostalgia Nevada style doesn't mean classic cars, it means open air nuclear tests and the relevant scenes from the Godfather movies. :BigGrin3:

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:56 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:29 am
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:02 am

You think that's bad. Look at how much of a juggernaut nostalgia is in culture these days and imagine what it will be like when everyone is old. Bunch of octogenarians coming to Reno dressed as Harry Potters.
Ugh.

One of the weirdest things I think young people do is proclaim themselves as a Hufflepuff or whatever. I could kind of get it if they treated it more like a fun thing to do while talking about their favorite book, I mean, after all, my own hobby involves pretending to be a wizard and rolling funny dice for hours at a time, so I would be throwing stones in a glass house if I condemned others for geekiness. But I see them treat it like it is something with actual predictive power, i.e. I saw some young woman on Facebook proclaim that she doesn't get along with Slytherins.

This is why whenever I see a thread on some facebook group where people talk about what 'house' they belong to, I always say "Lannister"
Spoiler:

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:01 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:10 pm
I suppose I'm a boomer.

To me boomer nostalgia Nevada style doesn't mean classic cars, it means open air nuclear tests and the relevant scenes from the Godfather movies. :BigGrin3:
I gotta say, seeing the cars is the one cool thing about it. I am not a car guy by any means but seeing some of the restoration jobs some of these people have done is pretty neato. Not neato enough to want to go to any of the events, but seeing some of these old cars cruising down the street looking probably better than they did the day they originally drove out of the dealership is pretty cool. Even if my reaction to seeing the first one was something along the lines of "Awww fuck, I forgot, Hot August Nights"
Spoiler:

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:15 pm

I agree with you about the cars, but I don't particularly associate it with Nevada.

New Mexico, maybe. Do they still ruin old cars by making them into low riders, or did I catch the last of that in the 1980s?

gnome

Post by gnome » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:01 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:29 am
I am half-seriously expected assisted-living homes that resemble a fandom con.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Post by gnome » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:03 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:56 pm
Ugh.

One of the weirdest things I think young people do is proclaim themselves as a Hufflepuff or whatever. I could kind of get it if they treated it more like a fun thing to do while talking about their favorite book, I mean, after all, my own hobby involves pretending to be a wizard and rolling funny dice for hours at a time, so I would be throwing stones in a glass house if I condemned others for geekiness. But I see them treat it like it is something with actual predictive power, i.e. I saw some young woman on Facebook proclaim that she doesn't get along with Slytherins.

This is why whenever I see a thread on some facebook group where people talk about what 'house' they belong to, I always say "Lannister"
I know, right, they should totally focus on each other's astrological sun signs instead like a normal person.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:55 pm

That’s how it seems to have become, another weird silly meaningless categorization that people take oddly seriously. Just like astrological signs or Meyers-Briggs categories
Spoiler:

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:38 am

↑ Ha! Typical Leo.