If You Could Do It All Over Again

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

If You Could Do It All Over Again

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:50 pm

If I could do it all over again, starting at age 20 or so, I'd be, number one, an arborist. Or a trim carpenter, number two. Or a large scale landscaper, number three. Or maybe even a machinist, number 3.01. I wouldn't, like I did, join the military (not that I regret it) or earn a degree in something unlovable and doing a job untenable for bosses unbearable (I regret it a little). I'd have a nice tree service, cabinetry business, bulldozing concern, or even an engine rebuild hut in my backyard.

Funny thing is, I can do well all of those things except ...I'm not 20; I'm sneaking up on 60 and I don't have the wind or willingness to go those routes even if I were to forgo those risks. I'm not afraid to climb a tree, I'm just unable to accept the risk. I can hang a cabinet with the best of them but while I can lift and move a few, I can't lift and move and attach thirty of them a day. I can run a bulldozer but, fuck, it is harder than it looks and takes stamina that I don't have. I can rebuild any engine made before circa 2000 but those are getting rare.

Steve Rowe, star of Dirty Jobs, did a Ted Talk wherein he presented what he considered the happiest people in the world. They weren't CEOs or bankers, or billionaires: they were, the likes of, arborists, carpenters, landscapers, and machinists. Go figure.

We're all old here. What would you do?

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: If You Could Do It All Over Again

Post by ed » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:01 pm

Art history/archaeology.

But I am pretty content with the way things turned out.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
I care :rub:

solely

Post by solely » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:04 pm

This very thing came to mind yesterday, I didn't explore it in detail but police officer was what struck me. I'll leave you to guess what kind of cop I would be.

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:22 pm

I thought about career military, being one of those soldier/scholars, teaching, killing gooks, pillaging things. But I had a pal who became a pilot, back in the phantom days, he quit after 6 or 8 years because "of the chickenshit" to quote him. I've known career soldiers who assured me my career would not be pretty.

Perhaps early into wall street, make a pile, retire.

My problem is that, from the earliest days, I liked "things" and that takes money. Not a lot necessarily but some so that if you saw a cool first edition of History of the English speaking Peoples with a long handwritten note by Churchill on the flyleaf and it cost say 5K you would not have to think about buying it. Not crazy rich but well off. My problem is/was that I am lazy. Then again that forced me to be very creative with what I did and who I hired and how I retained them.

Not sure I could have done better. And there is luck.

Off topic, just ruminating.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
I care :rub:

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:27 pm

There are points at which I should have played it differently, but I would not do it all over again.

I'd ask the genie for some other wish. :mrgreen:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:19 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:50 pm
I'm not afraid to climb a tree, I'm just unable to accept the risk.
It's strange that, as we get older, and so have less and less life ahead of us to lose, we become ever more risk averse.

To answer your question, if I had my time over but with my current knowledge and memories, I'd buy shares that were about to explode in value - Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, etc, when they were start-ups, and some bitcoin as soon as it was invented. Then I could live a life of leisure.

If I didn't have my current knowledge and memories, then I suppose I'd do everything the same all over again - after all, I made what I thought were the best decisions at the time, so with no extra knowledge why would I do anything different?

I'll mull over the question of what I'd do now, in 2019, if I could keep all my current experience and memories, but be rejuvenated back to age 20. In that scenario, the knowledge is no use - I'd just be a wise 20-year-old. I think I'd try to do things differently if I had that opportunity.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:45 pm

solely wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:04 pm
This very thing came to mind yesterday, I didn't explore it in detail but police officer was what struck me. I'll leave you to guess what kind of cop I would be.
I don't don't enough about you to figure what kind of cop you'd be. I need a hundred more posts, or so, to know.

I'd have been a good cop. A good dirty, good cop. I'd have made detective, for sure, or may even inspector, and not worried a bit about the law.

It's good I wasn't a cop ... pretty sure.

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:59 pm

ceptimus wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:19 pm
It's strange that, as we get older, and so have less and less life ahead of us to lose, we become ever more risk averse.
Can't find it right now, but I'm quite sure the same thought is already in Montaigne.

There’s a heck of a difference between getting older and getting old. Getting older is inevitable. Getting old—or not—is a choice.
– Alexandra Innes

Didn't we have a similar thread some time ago? :?

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:42 pm

When I was a teenager, I wanted to go to film school. I never did, obvs.

If I had it to do over again, I’d have found a way
The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time.

shuize

Post by shuize » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:04 am

To do it all over again?

As I get older, I sometimes wonder what it would have been like if I'd pursued one of my hobbies as a job. Maybe something like scuba diving instructor.

But it's the old ant and grasshopper fable. Whenever I'm diving in Thailand or some other tropical locale I'm usually half envious half worried for the foreign dive guides who are enjoying themselves every day but making peanuts all through their productive years apparently without any thought to the future.

I have several friends in Japan in the same boat, now in their mid- to late 50s with basically nothing put away for retirement. Oddly, I think I'm probably more worried about it than they are. Maybe there's a lesson in that.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:16 am

Would have applied myself a bit harder in school and then jumped in on the soon to be computer craze. Would have put my money in MicroSoft and Apple stock.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

gnome

Post by gnome » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:05 pm

I can't say I would intentionally have made different plans for my life, except act on one specific piece of advice I'd love to give my younger self, which is to stop waiting very long time for something to happen that's not in your control. Patience can be rewarded, but depending on what it is, there comes a time to just move on to some other plan.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:54 pm

Nvm wrong thread
The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time.