Cannon!!

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Cannon!!

Post by ed » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:47 am

Some years ago I had the ooppertunity to go to a cannon shoot at a US Army Camp in northern Michagan somewhere. Hobbists would travel from all over, dragging their cannon, and compete. Thing was I was able to get my son on a cannon team and, hell, what a cool thing. There was no way we could not have gone. Might have posted these before but what the hell.

This is my son firing an 8" siege mortar. Thats him in red. When you pull the lanyard you sort of pirouette so your back to toward the cannon when it fires.

The range was 1 mile. I was maybe 50-75 yards away and the concussion hit you like a wave. Interesting. I think that they usd a couple of pounds of black powder to fire these things.

Here is a picture of the ball leaving the cannon.

The guys that do this competitively use the same balls over and over. They are numbered and they are loaded with the same orientation every time. The guys take notes on each shot.

I recall my son tossing in the towel on karate. He reached some sort of level and the classes got serious, he said "they sucked all the fun out". Don't see a lot of fun in professional cannon shooting either.

Anyway, even having such thoughts in blighty would get you a stay in a mental ward for observation.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

shemp
Title: crazy as fuck

Re: Cannon!!

Post by shemp » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:30 am

Do they have a competition for this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowing_from_a_gun
Blowing from a gun was a method of execution in which the victim was typically tied to the mouth of a cannon which was then fired. George Carter Stent described the process as follows:

The prisoner is generally tied to a gun with the upper part of the small of his back resting against the muzzle. When the gun is fired, his head is seen to go straight up into the air some forty or fifty feet; the arms fly off right and left, high up in the air, and fall at, perhaps, a hundred yards distance; the legs drop to the ground beneath the muzzle of the gun; and the body is literally blown away altogether, not a vestige being seen.
I bet that would become a big spectator sport!
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

ed

Post by ed » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:36 am

It was used extensively by the Brits during/after the Indian Mutiny

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:32 am

ed wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:47 am
When you pull the lanyard you sort of pirouette so your back is toward the cannon when it fires.
This renders you completely invulnerable should the cannon explode, and also protects your hearing.

ed

Post by ed » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:56 am

Hahahahaha

I think that it is more to protect yourself from the crap that gets ejected from the touchhole. If it exploded everyone within 20 yards would be dead. More even.

Back in 1844 a cannon blew up and killed a number of notables
Hundreds of Washington’s most famous citizens began the morning of Feb. 28, 1844, with a lavish pleasure cruise that ended gruesomely, in a horrific tableau of blood-splattered gowns, severed heads, limbs and molten metal. The disaster that was the USS Princeton’s debut came about as ambition and fame converged to kill Secretary of State Abel Upshur and decapitate Secretary of the Navy Thomas Gilmer — and somehow won the president a new bride.
https://taskandpurpose.com/time-cannon- ... -secretary

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:46 am

ed wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:47 am
Might have posted these before but what the hell.
Indeed, you did. :mrgreen: