Crimes in Space

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Crimes in Space

Post by Bruce » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:32 pm

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/08/23/poli ... index.html

Interesting. So when a crime happens in space, who has jurisdiction? It it time for Space Police?
Such potential!

Bananas?-Yes

Re: Crimes in Space

Post by Bananas?-Yes » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:39 pm

I saw this on the BBC site and the answer to the question is there are a whole mess of documents that cover who has jurisdiction over a criminal act when a human is in orbit or beyond.

By the way, what we really need in that area above our atmosphere is some policing up of the garbage up there. We're going to have a nasty accident because of garbage someday, for sure. Well, if they don't figure out how to make money cleaning it all up. There must be some valuable garbage up there. Just needs some clever human to figure out how to stick it all in a special space bag.
+ + + Bananas are group oriented. + + +

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:43 pm

Yep. I've seen several sci-fi movies that feature gruesome space debris accidents. Tiny objects become more devastating than bullets when they've travelling many times the speed of sound. It actually surprises me that no astronauts have yet been killed by micro junk.

Which relates to the original topic. Let's say a Russian piece of wayward space junk blasts through the ISS and destroys it? Are the Russians liable? Or is it just considered a random unfortunate accident?

If it's the latter....considering how amazingly precise we're getting with satellites, like landing on comets precise, could someone deliberately launch a piece of space debris and make it look like and accident? Like maybe to trigger a war, or make a certain world leader look bad, or maybe just to flex his evil scientist muscles.....

If I sold this idea to Netlix, would I make a decent amount of cash for it?
Such potential!

shuize

Post by shuize » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:21 pm

The first crime in space!* Whoever said that $200,000 specialty in “Space Law” was a bad investment must be feeling pretty stupid now!

* Now I’m curious to know who were the first people to have sex in space.

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:36 pm

https://www.themarysue.com/space-law/amp/

Well of course it's a real thing. There's even a Japanese original. :roll:

There are rules to becoming a space lawyer:
You have to be a dork. Seriously, every self-proclaimed space lawyer who I’ve talked to flies their geek flag with pride. They’re insatiably curious people, and they’ve got the storm trooper action figures to prove it.
Such potential!

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:50 am

Has Trump's Space Force™ SWAT teams to retake the Space Station if need be? (Picturing drunk Soviet Russian astronaut entrenched in one of the modules.)