Dorian

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Anaxagoras

Re: Dorian

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:04 am

Hey, maybe ed's powers really did change the course of the hurricane!

Remember that new age yoga and crystal lady who's running for president?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 209944001/
In a now-deleted tweet captured in screenshots by Twitter users, Williamson suggested the "use of the power of the mind" to change the path of the hurricane.

"The Bahamas, Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas ... may all be in our prayers now,” she wrote on Twitter. "Millions of us seeing Dorian turn away from land is not a wacky idea; it is a creative use of the power of the mind. Two minutes of prayer, visualization, meditation for those in the way of the storm."

Williamson's communications director Patricia Ewing said the tweet was a metaphor.

"When others speak of prayer and the mind it’s considered profound, but Williamson is held to a different standard. Because the comment led to confusion it was replaced," Ewing said. "Everyone please pray for the people of the Bahamas, Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas. May the peace of God be upon them, may they and their families remain safe and their hearts be comforted as they endure the storm."
Aww, people are being meanies for mocking this. The poor dear.

As a political tactic deleting the tweet seems pointless. Better to just own it because it's getting reported anyway. Deleting it looks wishy-washy and like an admission that it was a mistake.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:25 am

There's also this kind of dumbth:

:roll:

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:36 am

Probably stopped working due to a lack of electricity. How much do ya wanna bet?

Fuckwits.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:28 pm

This is my headcanon now.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:51 am

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:25 am

Photos: The Wreckage Left by Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas

Quite a hellscape.

This photo of the eye of the hurricane taken from the ISS is also pretty good:
William Shakespeare

Bananas?-Yes

Post by Bananas?-Yes » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:31 am

It seems that some news editors are putting out the word that there might be a final death toll in the hundreds.

Given that humans in The Bahamas have been dealing with these storms for so long it just doesn't seem logical that there isn't a kind of storm infrastructure in place to allow citizens a safe place to ride out a storm.

I don't get it!

With all due respect to whomever, I read all about all sorts of really cool people that want to save humans from this and save humans from that and all sorts of cool things, but here we have a really basic thing like a shelter for people to ride out a storm and all those cool people can't foresee that maybe that special shelters need to be built here and there and over there and let's do some really uncool and unglamorous work like pouring concrete to build a really uncool looking structure that might save a life.

I don't get it!

Sort of reminds me of that Navy fella President Carter who I cannot really state I much cared for, but when he finished his government career I seem to remember I was mighty impressed with a job he did as a sort of second career --- he and some folks built a whole bunch of houses for a lot of people who were short of money. Very basic helping --- a home with a roof and some protection from the elements. Really basic stuff.

And nobody in the Cool Branch of Society in that Hollywood place thought about maybe some sort of storm shelters could be a useful thing considering the other half that belonged to that Cool Branch of Society in that Hollywood place were screaming about how awful the Earth's atmosphere this and that was going to get. Not one of them Cool and Smart folks thought about pushing somebody to build some storm shelters?

I don't get it!
+ + + Bananas are group oriented. + + +

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:41 am

I don't know when the last time was that a hurricane of this scale hit the Bahamas. It may be unprecedented in modern times for that particular group of islands. The news calls it "the most powerful hurricane the Bahamas has ever experienced." So it's probably worse than whatever they had in the past.
William Shakespeare

Bananas?-Yes

Post by Bananas?-Yes » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:51 am

Given the many hurricanes that traverse that part of Earth it seems that somebody could have foreseen the possibility of something like this happening. Especially as there have been so many dire predictions of such awful weather events looming in our future because of this or that and so on.

On the other hand, it is the primary responsibility of the elected officials in that nation to have some vision. Maybe that is not the kind of vision that can make a politician look super cool, but saving lives is a pretty basic job of any leader.

Just seems so ... - - - so something. "Sad" doesn't quite get it.
+ + + Bananas are group oriented. + + +

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:33 pm

Bananas?-Yes wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:31 am
It seems that some news editors are putting out the word that there might be a final death toll in the hundreds.

Given that humans in The Bahamas have been dealing with these storms for so long it just doesn't seem logical that there isn't a kind of storm infrastructure in place to allow citizens a safe place to ride out a storm.

I don't get it!
Lots of reasons I am sure but the Bahamas is a shithole country with tourism as the main/only source of revenues and I suspect that nests are feathered. Their budget is here
http://www.bahamas.gov.bs/wps/wcm/conne ... OD=AJPERES
Seems like a lot of government for a place with a small population but who knows. In fairness, I am not really sure what they could have done. I suppose that they might have, cleverly, coordinated with the US Corps of engineers and Cost Guard to have a disaster recovery plan in place. They had cooperated with us on the war on drugs so a little quid pro would be in order.
Given that they are only a hundred feet or so above sea level
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_the_Bahamas
They might channel King Canute for all the value they would get by building stuff.

You know, New Orleans is below sea level. Venice is or is close to it and is sinking. Probably thousands of places around the globe. You have heard the expression "kick the can"? Thats what they are all doing.
With all due respect to whomever, I read all about all sorts of really cool people that want to save humans from this and save humans from that and all sorts of cool things, but here we have a really basic thing like a shelter for people to ride out a storm and all those cool people can't foresee that maybe that special shelters need to be built here and there and over there and let's do some really uncool and unglamorous work like pouring concrete to build a really uncool looking structure that might save a life.
Right and we have all those ickey black folks in Chicago killing each other but the angst is saved for white folks killed with un-pc black guns.

I don't get it!
I do.

And nobody in the Cool Branch of Society in that Hollywood place thought about maybe some sort of storm shelters could be a useful thing considering the other half that belonged to that Cool Branch of Society in that Hollywood place were screaming about how awful the Earth's atmosphere this and that was going to get. Not one of them Cool and Smart folks thought about pushing somebody to build some storm shelters?
No sure what a storm shelter at or near sea level would have done. And getting people there. And having provisions.
hmmmm pop is ~400k. Shit, we should have just moved them stateside till the thing passed. Hey Rob, how many folks could you put in a carrier?
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:50 pm

I don't think you could get 400k people out between when meteorologists can predict that the hurricane will hit there and when it actually hits.

Carriers carry about 5 to 6000 men, but you can't just organize an evacuation like that at the drop of a hat.
William Shakespeare

robinson
Title: Hmmm ...

Post by robinson » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:57 pm

Carriers with out planes, jets, helicopters and the like can carry a lot more than 6000 people. Hell, there are 6000 crew members on a carrier.
You never know what's going to happen, then some shit happens nobody saw coming, then later somebody says they knew it was coming, then some new shit happens nobody saw coming, rinse and repeat

robinson

Post by robinson » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:00 pm

I think the death toll in the hard hit islands is already in the thousands.
You never know what's going to happen, then some shit happens nobody saw coming, then later somebody says they knew it was coming, then some new shit happens nobody saw coming, rinse and repeat

ed

Post by ed » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:42 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:50 pm
I don't think you could get 400k people out between when meteorologists can predict that the hurricane will hit there and when it actually hits.

Carriers carry about 5 to 6000 men, but you can't just organize an evacuation like that at the drop of a hat.
If you were in charge we would have given up after the Nazis bombed Pearl Bailey :x :x

ed

Post by ed » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:45 pm

robinson wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:00 pm
I think the death toll in the hard hit islands is already in the thousands.
And that is on Anax and his defeatist attitudes.

Hell ... the Brits (THE BRITS!!!) evacuated Dunkirk. Send pleasure craft, send the coast guard. Tow their fucking crap boats. Of course you could do it. It is simply another example of racism. If they were cute white kids on spring break you can be damn sure we would have gotten them out.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:40 pm

We should just buy them.

ed

Post by ed » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:02 pm

True

robinson

Post by robinson » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:20 pm

ed wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:45 pm
If they were cute white kids on spring break you can be damn sure we would have gotten them out.
wow

ed

Post by ed » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:12 pm

You disagree?

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Witness wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:44 pm
Donald Trump denies using a SHARPIE to alter official map to show Hurricane Dorian hitting Alabama as he refuses to back down on fake forecast that state was at risk (but look what was on his desk at the time)
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj