The problem: Somebody dropped the big one and civilization is in ruins, furthermore ...

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

The problem: Somebody dropped the big one and civilization is in ruins, furthermore ...

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:59 pm

... your hair isn't shiny and manageable. :)

Official warning from US government.

7 things the US government says you should never do after a nuclear explosion, from using conditioner to hiding in your car
Business Insider Note: You need AdBlock + NoScript.

Rinsing your hair with shampoo is critical after being exposed to radiation, but conditioner is a major "no-no," according to the CDC.

That's because conditioners carry compounds called cationic surfactants, which bind to radioactive particles and can trap them in your hair. They'd essentially act like glue between your hair and radiation.

Dammit! :evil:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Anaxagoras

Re: The problem: Somebody dropped the big one and civilization is in ruins, furthermore ...

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:03 am

OK. I don't use conditioner myself, but members of my family do.

Feels like putting oily goop back in my hair after I shampooed it to get the oily stuff out. Also my hair's too thin these days anyway.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

robinson
Title: Hmmm ...

Re: The problem: Somebody dropped the big one and civilization is in ruins, furthermore ...

Post by robinson » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:34 pm

It's far more likely a spent fuel fire will doom civilization, but in either case, don't do anything to cause the already sticky dangerous particles to stick around next to your living flesh.
You never know what's going to happen, then some shit happens nobody saw coming, then later somebody says they knew it was coming, then some new shit happens nobody saw coming, rinse and repeat

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:51 am

I always thought one of the Fukushima reactor spent fuel pools would have given us one of those by now. But, hey! No worries: The Rooskies have already put out a reactor fire. We can just ask them how they did it. :)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

robinson

Post by robinson » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:57 am

I've always wondered if the real reason for nobody ever using nukes was that the really smart people advised the warmongers that attacking any country with reactors would be the same as simply shooting yourself in the face, repeatedly.
You never know what's going to happen, then some shit happens nobody saw coming, then later somebody says they knew it was coming, then some new shit happens nobody saw coming, rinse and repeat

shuize

Post by shuize » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:16 am

Isn’t that one of the (many) scary things about EMP weapons — that they would knock out the electricity at nuclear plants leaving them all in a state of Fukushima? Or have I just been reading too many post-apocalyptic novels?

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:00 am

shuize wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:16 am
Isn’t that one of the (many) scary things about EMP weapons — that they would knock out the electricity at nuclear plants leaving them all in a state of Fukushima? Or have I just been reading too many post-apocalyptic novels?
I'd be more worried about the nuclear explosions themselves. Hiroshima and Nagasaki killed tens of thousands. Fukushima hasn't really killed anyone directly. Modern nuclear weapons of course, are even larger than the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:53 pm

EMP taking out a nuke plant is plausible. Laying an egg right on one thereby exposing core material is even more plausible. In either case, the aggressor would be well advised to be up wind of the plant for a very very long time.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

robinson

Post by robinson » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:08 pm

If a full load of a spent fuel pond goes, it won't matter where you are. People just don't realize how dangerous it is. Or how much material a 100 tons of spent fuel actually is. Since just the US alone produces over 2000 tons a year of spent fuel, the amount just goes up and up.

During WWII after the real danger of nuclear isotopes was known, planners worried that the Germans, who wouldn't be able to make a bomb in time, might just spread fine powdered isotopes over the troops in England before D Day

Just a few pounds would have been enough to kill most of the troops, or make them too sick to fight.

robinson

Post by robinson » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:09 pm

sparks wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:53 pm
Laying an egg right on one thereby exposing core material is even more plausible.
Just conventional explosives could take out the cooling system, which we now know is the very real danger of disaster.

robinson

Post by robinson » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:10 pm

But goddamn, this is a really fucking dark topic for Banter