Leak detection

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
User avatar
ed
Posts: 36441
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Leak detection

Post by ed » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:16 pm

I have these funny cylinders that are water tight. I'd like to submerge them in my pool for some period and then check them for leaks.

Question: is there some easy to find and readily available chemical/substance/foodstuff that would react with water that might leak in and thus provide an objective indication of said leak?
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
I am caring less day by day :x
Image

User avatar
asthmatic camel
Posts: 18897
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:53 pm
Title: Forum commie nun.
Location: Stirring the porridge with my spurtle.

Re: Leak detection

Post by asthmatic camel » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:31 pm

Drain maintenance guys use stuff like this. Might help.

Image
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

User avatar
asthmatic camel
Posts: 18897
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:53 pm
Title: Forum commie nun.
Location: Stirring the porridge with my spurtle.

Re: Leak detection

Post by asthmatic camel » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:41 pm

Or, silica gel is inexpensive. It'll swell if there's any water getting into your cylinders.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

User avatar
Rob Lister
Posts: 21268
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed

Re: Leak detection

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:14 pm

Image

User avatar
ed
Posts: 36441
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: Leak detection

Post by ed » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:44 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:14 pm
Image
Thats funny
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
I am caring less day by day :x
Image

solely
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:41 pm

Re: Leak detection

Post by solely » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:24 pm

What about water and food dye.

User avatar
ed
Posts: 36441
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: Leak detection

Post by ed » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:00 pm

Flour?
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
I am caring less day by day :x
Image

solely
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:41 pm

Re: Leak detection

Post by solely » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:58 pm

ed wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:00 pm
Flour?
It'll make playdough when mixed with water.

User avatar
ed
Posts: 36441
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: Leak detection

Post by ed » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:57 pm

I sunk the damn thing in the pool. I'll pull it out tomorrow and report back. If it leaks at all it will leak a lot is my thought.

It is down about 7 feet. ~17 psi right?
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
I am caring less day by day :x
Image

User avatar
ceptimus
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:04 pm
Location: UK

Re: Leak detection

Post by ceptimus » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:52 pm

I think it's about one atmosphere (15 psi) for every ten metres (34 feet) so seven feet down is only about three psi.

solely
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:41 pm

Re: Leak detection

Post by solely » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:57 pm

Uh oh... metres

User avatar
ceptimus
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:04 pm
Location: UK

Re: Leak detection

Post by ceptimus » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:00 am

I did translate it into American for him. ;)

solely
Posts: 445
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:41 pm

Re: Leak detection

Post by solely » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:03 am

You know how he gets.

User avatar
ed
Posts: 36441
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: Leak detection

Post by ed » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:48 am

ceptimus wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:52 pm
I think it's about one atmosphere (15 psi) for every 34 feet so seven feet down is only about three psi.
:x :x

Yes but you need to add the pressure ABOVE the waters surface = 14psi so the total is 14+3=17


Oui?
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
I am caring less day by day :x
Image

User avatar
ed
Posts: 36441
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: Leak detection

Post by ed » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:51 am

Bought 500 tear gas rounds that were in these things. Sold the tear gas sans cases. Thought I'd package some survival stuff in them. Too lazy so I'll just verify their water tightness and move them out.

eta This isn't really that interesting but given that you all seem to have calcified social lives I thought that it might actually be interesting compared to what you are used to.

"Pressure testing surplus plastic cylinders and then arguing about the pressure computation."

We are pathetic. :P

I'll post pictures tomorrow. Perhaps I'll use Lake Ed as the backdrop (if your hearts can stand it)
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
I am caring less day by day :x
Image

User avatar
ceptimus
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:04 pm
Location: UK

Re: Leak detection

Post by ceptimus » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:03 am

ed wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:48 am
ceptimus wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:52 pm
I think it's about one atmosphere (15 psi) for every 34 feet so seven feet down is only about three psi.
:x :x

Yes but you need to add the pressure ABOVE the waters surface = 14psi so the total is 14+3=17


Oui?
Well yes, but that only matters if you sucked a perfect vacuum in the cylinders before placing them in the pool. If you started out with the cylinders full of regular ground-level air, as I guess you did, then the pressure difference, 3 psi, is what matters.

If someone slashes the tires on your truck leaving them totally flat, then you wouldn't say they were still inflated to a pressure of 15 psi.

User avatar
Witness
Posts: 23673
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: Leak detection

Post by Witness » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:44 am

ed wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:16 pm
I have these funny cylinders that are water tight. I'd like to submerge them in my pool for some period and then check them for leaks.
Oh, now it's torpedoes in lake ed? With nukes?
ed wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:16 pm
Question: is there some easy to find and readily available chemical/substance/foodstuff that would react with water that might leak in and thus provide an objective indication of said leak?
Paper. If damp it will crinkle.


P. – S. How are the crawdads? :twisted:

User avatar
Witness
Posts: 23673
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: Leak detection

Post by Witness » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:48 am

ed wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:51 am
Bought 500 tear gas rounds that were in these things. Sold the tear gas sans cases.
Who the hell buys – and presumably uses – tear gas? (Outside of law enforcement, of course.) Floridian pranksters at picnics?

User avatar
ed
Posts: 36441
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: Leak detection

Post by ed » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:36 am

Witness wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:48 am
ed wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:51 am
Bought 500 tear gas rounds that were in these things. Sold the tear gas sans cases.
Who the hell buys – and presumably uses – tear gas? (Outside of law enforcement, of course.) Floridian pranksters at picnics?
I have sold probably a thousand 37mm rounds of tear gas.

The two most heard phrases heard at gun shows:

You never know
and
Just in case

I suspect that it is all in gun safes across this great land of ours.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
I am caring less day by day :x
Image

User avatar
ed
Posts: 36441
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: Leak detection

Post by ed » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:44 am

ceptimus wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:03 am
ed wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:48 am
ceptimus wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:52 pm
I think it's about one atmosphere (15 psi) for every 34 feet so seven feet down is only about three psi.
:x :x

Yes but you need to add the pressure ABOVE the waters surface = 14psi so the total is 14+3=17


Oui?
Well yes, but that only matters if you sucked a perfect vacuum in the cylinders before placing them in the pool. If you started out with the cylinders full of regular ground-level air, as I guess you did, then the pressure difference, 3 psi, is what matters.

If someone slashes the tires on your truck leaving them totally flat, then you wouldn't say they were still inflated to a pressure of 15 psi.
Naturally. :x

Seriously ... What in the name of feet and yards does the outside know what is going on in the inside? And what about atmospheric pressure? Is water magical in some way so that it suddenly negates the atmosphere? I mean that 14psi holds me together. Are you saying (as I think you are) that if I go 1/10" under the surface that the pressure on me is ~0psi? If so, why then do divers not explode upon entry?

Here is a very core question: do you know what you are talking about or not? I do not so if you do I will defer but if you, like me, are ignorant then we can continue arguing like two drunks on a street corner at 3am.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
I am caring less day by day :x
Image