Asthmatic Camel's Nerdy Modelling Thread.

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
ceptimus

Re: Asthmatic Camel's Nerdy Modelling Thread.

Post by ceptimus »

All UK mains electricity house wiring is nominally 230V. It's not like USA 220 V with two opposite phase 110V live wires - there is one 230V live and one neutral. Pretty deadly stuff but we have fancy plugs and sockets with a fuse inside each plug to compensate for the dangers of the higher voltage.

It's actually 240V because that was our standard in the UK. When we joined the EU, to be compliant with the European 220V system everybody renamed their systems to be "230V" with a tolerance. Nothing actually changed to either system but by the magic of politics the two systems became harmonized! We were allowed to keep our UK plugs, though the EU were rather grudging about it.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Think of ours as two 120's that really love each other...
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

ed
Title: Not gay

Post by ed »

So though you are positively girly about weapons, you expose entire families and orphanages full of orphans to deadly 230v electro-fascists?

Got it.
About that stereo

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

I blame 480.

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

Already done. :)
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

sparks

Post by sparks »

Good. 480 cannot be blamed enough.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Careful with that fiberglass insulation:
When installing fiberglass or coming into contact with it while making home repairs should wear proper safety equipment to avoid fiberglass inhalation or irritation from skin contact. Gloves, long-sleeved shirts, pants, masks, and goggles should all be worn. The insulation should also be properly sealed off so it can’t get into air vents and circulate throughout the home or building. It should not be left exposed to an occupied area, according to the American Lung Association.
https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/mate ... -concerns/

The risk seems to be low, but they can't really agree on the level…

Witness

Post by Witness »

asthmatic camel

Witness wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:51 am
Careful with that fiberglass insulation:
When installing fiberglass or coming into contact with it while making home repairs should wear proper safety equipment to avoid fiberglass inhalation or irritation from skin contact. Gloves, long-sleeved shirts, pants, masks, and goggles should all be worn. The insulation should also be properly sealed off so it can’t get into air vents and circulate throughout the home or building. It should not be left exposed to an occupied area, according to the American Lung Association.
https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/mate ... -concerns/

The risk seems to be low, but they can't really agree on the level…
It'll all be sealed away like this when I've finished, Witness. I've been wearing a mask anyway because the loft was full of old soot 'n' stuff and I've been producing sawdust. Not pleasant.

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

Sawing MDF, or any of the other 'DF fibreboards, produces particularly unpleasant and dangerous dust, as well as knackering up your saw-blades very quickly.

asthmatic camel

All wood dust is dangerous, being a known carcinogen as well as causing other serious health problems. No doubt the resin used to bond fibreboard makes things worse.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Stay safe, young man! :wink:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Fid

Post by Fid »

Son, why does that elaborate model train we've spent years constructing have no physical objects in the diorama? Was it the green screen? Was it the Harry Potter thing? You know we tried Oh lord we tried to fit this into the Lord of the Rings Canon but it just didn't work!

The mockery and abuse we have received on the internet, by telephone (a land line), and by Morse code on that thing in the attic we assumed was Great Granpaws sex toy leads me to believe those nekkid German nudist figurines are making me do German length run-on sentences.
Great work with the clouds though.

Cranky ozone loving Gramps.
... The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

OK Witness. Where?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

ed

Post by ed »

asthmatic camel wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:39 pm
All wood dust is dangerous, being a known carcinogen as well as causing other serious health problems. No doubt the resin used to bond fibreboard makes things worse.
Do you plAN ON INHALING 15 LBS OF THE CRAP AND LIVING TO 120?
If not then don't worry.
fag.
About that stereo

ed

Post by ed »

About that stereo

asthmatic camel

ed wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:58 am
asthmatic camel wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:39 pm
Do you plAN ON INHALING 15 LBS OF THE CRAP AND LIVING TO 120?
If not then don't worry.
fag.
I'm not worried and plan on doing neither; I'm simply taking sensible precautions when working in a small, unventilated area containing potentially hazardous substances such as soot and sawdust. They may not kill me but they certainly aggravate my asthma.

ed

Post by ed »

girlie man
About that stereo

asthmatic camel