Asthmatic Camel's Nerdy Modelling Thread.

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Witness

Re: Asthmatic Camel's Nerdy Modelling Thread.

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

ONS says UK rail has effectively been renationalised during pandemic

Change in classification, to be backdated to 1 April, prompts dispute between unions and operators

Train companies have been effectively renationalised on a temporary basis, the UK statistics body said on Friday, prompting a dispute between trade unions and private operators over rail ownership.

The coronavirus pandemic and lockdown forced the government to take emergency steps to prop up train companies by assuming the financial risk of rail franchises, after passenger numbers dwindled almost to nothing.

The Office for National Statistics has now written to the Treasury and the Scottish government to inform them of its decision to reclassify train companies as public non-financial corporations in the light of the measures.

The change, backdated to 1 April, means rail companies’ borrowing will be factored into ONS figures on public-sector borrowing and the number of state employees.

At the same time, train companies are not allowed to make timetable changes or change staffing numbers without specific government approval.

State support for rail firms means almost all revenue and cost risk from the companies are “borne by the government”, the ONS said.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... g-pandemic
Witness

Post by Witness »

Hydrogen-powered train makes UK maiden journey

A hydrogen-powered train has travelled on Britain’s rail network for the first time.

The prototype, called the Hydroflex, made a 25-mile round trip through Warwickshire and Worcestershire, reaching speeds of up to 50 mph.

Its next phase is to move the hydrogen tanks, fuel cell and battery out of a carriage and stash them underneath the train.

The aim is for the train to start carrying paying passengers by the end of 2021.
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/business-54350046 (video at the link)
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

If the SOB has a fuel cell, where's mention of the Oxygen tank and why does it need a battery?
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

sparks wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:20 am If the SOB has a fuel cell, where's mention of the Oxygen tank and why does it need a battery?
Sometimes I can't tell if you're being Poe. :)

On the outside chance you aren't, the oxygen comes from the atmosphere. The battery is a bit trickier; I presume ...

The battery is needed to even out the load. The fuel cell will provide more than enough power to keep a moving train moving, but not enough to get a stopped train going (inertia is your enemy). Additionally, the battery can recover the energy of a moving train stopping (inertia is your friend).
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Its next phase is to move the hydrogen tanks, fuel cell and battery out of a carriage and stash them underneath the train.
Kamikaze aircraft were essentially pilot-guided explosive missiles, purpose-built or converted from conventional aircraft.
About that stereo
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

ed wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:33 pm
Kamikaze aircraft were essentially pilot-guided explosive missiles, purpose-built or converted from conventional aircraft.
Exactly my first thought.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:
ed

Post by ed »

A train weighs 30 skdillion pounds, right? So what kind of container could survive a crash/derailment etc etc?

Here you have a classic conflict of precious principles. The powers that be want more and more power to control your life to keep you safe. Fuck, a perfectly sound propane tank that is too old cannot be used, gotta buy a new one. Yet here they are going to give safety a pass to implement some progressive green bullshit.

Am I wrong? Really, tell me if you think so. What I used to think were tin foil hat conspiracy theories are seeming more and more reasonable to me.
About that stereo
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

ed wrote: Am I wrong? Really, tell me if you think so.
Fairly wrong. The safety issue of carrying around a tank of hydrogen compressed at 500 atmospheres is much (maybe much, much ... but not quite much, much, much) greater for a car or truck than for a train. plus )+( tank technology has come a long way; mostly carbon fiber/steel hybrid. Pretty okay. I approve. But really, trains are already pretty efficient already, second only to tanker ships, I think, so it's a bit of virtue signaling.
ed

Post by ed »

Alright but I reuse to travel on any that go thru Lakehurst.
About that stereo
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

It's British not not not German.

Mont-hinden please, not ...
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Rob Lister wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:23 pm
sparks wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:20 am If the SOB has a fuel cell, where's mention of the Oxygen tank and why does it need a battery?
Sometimes I can't tell if you're being Poe. :)

On the outside chance you aren't, the oxygen comes from the atmosphere. The battery is a bit trickier; I presume ...

The battery is needed to even out the load. The fuel cell will provide more than enough power to keep a moving train moving, but not enough to get a stopped train going (inertia is your enemy). Additionally, the battery can recover the energy of a moving train stopping (inertia is your friend).
Oxygen from the atmosphere? Really? In sufficient quantity and purity? To run a fuel cell? But I'm not a chemist. Ping Bruce.

Sorry, I seriously doubt that.

And in the final analysis, the energy to produce hydrogen has to come from some source. Most likely fossil fuel.
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

That's the way fuel cell cars work. They don't have an oxygen tank - only a hydrogen one.
sparks

Post by sparks »

ceptimus wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:38 pm That's the way fuel cell cars work. They don't have an oxygen tank - only a hydrogen one.
OK, I learn something new every fucking day.

I stupidly thought that cars that run on hydrogen didn't involve fuel cells and the electricity they produce. I thought that it was a standard internal combustion engine...

Go figure.

Proof or you are a dipshit.

Dipshit.
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

You're a fucking ignorant cunt. Go do your own research.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Children! Behave!

Sparks ...

You don't have to use a fuel cell, you can run an ICE on hydrogen. It's just far less efficient.

You can also use hydrocarbons for fueling a fuel cell. It doesn't have to be pure hydrogen either.

Off topic but ...
For a real kick in the teeth, google Brown's Gas.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Train Accident Facts and Figures
About every hour and a half a train collides with another object or is derailed.
Every two weeks a train that is carrying hazardous materials derails in the United States.
Today rail companies rely on technology that was developed more than 70 years ago, and very little research and improvement has been made to update these dated safety measures.
Local governments often have no voice over the train traffic in their area, which can result in delays for local emergency responders.
According to the DOT’s Federal Railroad Administration, about 80% of railroad crossings do not have adequate warning devices.
While vehicle on train collisions have decreased in the past few years, pedestrians involved in train collisions have increased.

Seems legit.

sparks

Post by sparks »

ceptimus wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:51 am You're a fucking ignorant cunt. Go do your own research.
thanks, now go fuck yourself you ignorant fucking dickhead cocksucker! :)
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

If you are both a dickhead and a cocksucker does that make you a narcissist?

sparks

Post by sparks »

Fuck off newcomer!