Losing my cheerful optimism

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Nyarlathotep

Losing my cheerful optimism

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:54 am

Right now I am working in a bank call center. It sucks, but it (mostly) pays the bills.

It is changing me from a cheerful paragon of hope and optimism into a mean old cynic though. Some lady was haranguing me today because her account was overdrawn and, after I explained to her the chain of transactions that led up to that state, none of which did she claim was incorrect in any way, nor did she say there were any missing deposits in that time frame, she screamed "I CAN'T BE OVERDRAWN BECAUSE I KEEP VERY CLOSE TRACK OF MY MONEY!"

Lady, you are nearly $500 in the red, apparently the eye you keep on your money isn't as close as you say. I didn't phrase it that way. but I wanted to...

Another guy, also mad because he was overdrawn, decided to be tricky and tell me that the transaction that put him in that state was not made or authorized by him. Pro tip though, if you tell the guy at the bank that you "have never done business" with a particular merchant, he can see your account and see that you do, indeed, do fairly regular business with that merchant. And if he sees that you withdrew all the money from your account just prior to that money coming out and then try to claim fraud about that particular transaction, it will not look good for your fraud claim.

Another pro tip, not related to any of the above. If you are trying to get into someone else's account (or even in your own account), and you can't answer the security questions, screaming at the guy at the other end of the phone will not work. We are immune. We know what you are up to and if we DID let you in, we will get fired.

Dealing with the public sucks, not sure how other people do it without going mad.
The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time.

shemp
Title: crazy as fuck

Re: Losing my cheerful optimism

Post by shemp » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:58 am

Sorry to hear about this. I'm sure you're not getting paid a lot, but set some aside for the purchase of substances, legal or otherwise, that help you unwind at the end of the day. That's how I deal with my employer's dickhead clients.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:00 am

Get them an appointment with Cthulhu, you'll never hear from them again.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:05 am

Had a relative whose checks bounced more than a basketball. He complained that the recipients of his checks waited too long to cash them. In the meantime he would withdraw money at the ATM with wild abandon.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

shuize

Post by shuize » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:50 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:54 am
Dealing with the public sucks, not sure how other people do it without going mad.

If anyone ever wonders why I'm in Japan ...

robinson
Title: Hmmm ...

Post by robinson » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:59 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:54 am
A sense of humor, and lots and lots of alcohol
You never know what's going to happen, then some shit happens nobody saw coming, then later somebody says they knew it was coming, then some new shit happens nobody saw coming, rinse and repeat

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:38 pm

Another type of call that drives me but are “ramblers”. Friendly enough, but they can’t seem to ever get to the point. One guy today had me on the phone for half an hour. He just needed his debit card replaced. Such a task should take just a couple of minutes, but he insisted on telling me the whole story of how he lost his card, all about what days his bills come in, a bit about his life and everything wrong with the world today.

This was made funnier by the fact that at the top of the call, he said he was in a hurry...

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:04 am

↑ Be kind to them if they are friendly (and you get paid the same). There is a lot of loneliness in our societies, especially when you get old and lose your friends. :mrgreen:

As we don't have village squares, the chatter is done at the mall, the post office, &c. And, yes, on the phone…

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:41 am

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:58 pm

I approve

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:41 pm

Been there, done that. Eleven years with NatWest, once the UK's largest bank. I was pretty much suicidal by the time I left and dreaded getting up in the morning.

And it's kind of weird that some of our brightest customers just couldn't handle their finances. At All.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:20 pm

Worst of the worst among IT jobs I have known -- IBM's internal help desk during the last days of the old IBM.

They had to hire short term contractors to do it. That's how bad it was.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:57 pm

Fortunately, I didn't have much to do with lending during my banking years, I was mostly involved with investments and international trade. Believe me, that was just as stressful. Especially when the Harvard guys showed up and ruined the business.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:35 pm

I can still cheer myself up with making up nicknames for co workers. So far I have

Not Fooling Anyone
Old Dembe (Dembe is a character from The Blacklist)
Gramma Smiley
Stan Lee Cameo
Captain Goatee
Millenial Chani
Not exactly John Leguazamo
Son of Steve Buscemi

More as I come up with them

izittrue

Post by izittrue » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:12 pm

I was in airline business for 31 years. Fuk. I’m not sure how I did it. Great co workers. Traveling public sucks. Especially during holidays and cancelled flights. I lost all faith in my fellow humans. But once and a while there would be a nice human to briefly restore my faith. I had become immune to all the complaining and yelling directed at me. To the traveler they are never wrong. Anyways I’ve found that the customer isn’t always right but the customer always lies!!
Will Rogers -
- Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip

Fid

Post by Fid » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:46 am

For a number of years I worked the company/customer interface desk at a small engine warranty repair shop for several manufacturers. Not sales mind you, repair, warranty repair.

We made out like fucking bandits. We were the designated repair center for nine (9) The Home Depot stores.

Each day one or two flat beds would pull up and unload a cornucopia of small gas powered lawn mowers, tractors, tillers, line trimmers, blowers, chain saws, pressure washers, and (this will be important) generators.

I was hired not to work on the machines but to
keep track of the literary hundreds of machines coming through our shop.

I did that extraordinarily well.

And it really didn't take all that much time once my system was in place. So in addition I became parts manager, shipping/receiving, customer service for the walk in retail part of the business.

This is the fun part.

On the wall behind my (and yeah buddy it was pretty much mine as the mechanics were loath with much wailing and gnashing of teeth to cover for me for even a lunch hour) anyway, on the wall were bent lawnmower blades. Each of which I had been earnestly assured by the customer had..."never hit anything'".

At that point I would refer them to the warranty document which states something along the lines of (I do apologize for the following) "nigga please."

That is why above the bent world class hardened steel that had carefully been fashioned into a blade so you could cut your grass was this sign.

DO NOT LOAN YOUR LAWNMOWER TO URI GELLER!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's 1999 and Y2K's gonna kill us all.

I know let's buy a generator and utterly disregard the owners manual!

"No sir a 3500 watt unit will not power your entire fucking house, please refer to the warranty document referenced above."

One case though we all felt bad about. An elderly couple had bought a Coleman generator a couple years before and never unboxed it. They had the receipt and the problem was clearly without question a manufacturing defect i.e. really bad stator windings.
Unfortunately (you can see where this is going right?) the warranty was one year from date of purchase. I never heard back from Coleman or the customer about any resolution.

One day I should tell you about the millions of Briggs & Stratton engines with the leaky fuel shut off valves...good times...good times...

So Pyrrho how's that mower deck holding up?
"Try SCE to AUX."
Yeah, me and an electrified atmosphere ain't friends.

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:57 am

↑ I'm not quite sure Pyrrho's in his lawn mowing mood… :|

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:02 am

Not with this batch of weather coming down, hell no!
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Fid

Post by Fid » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:01 am

Sometime past he was concerned about rust/stress fractures/hoodoo from that native American grave site he lives on effect on his John Deere tractor/mower.

At the time I told him due to the age of the machine it may be difficult to get parts. On the other hand said parts would most likely be English rather than metric thereby securing help from...well you know.
"Try SCE to AUX."

Fid

Post by Fid » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:16 am

Oh yeah and as " Keeper of the Microfiche" I have seen ancient tomes regarding "The Snowblower" but as a skeptic I must admit I have never actually seen one.
"Try SCE to AUX."