Losing my cheerful optimism

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Nyarlathotep

Re: Losing my cheerful optimism

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:02 pm
robinson wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:15 pm
Nyarlathotep wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:21 am Truly, the number of financially illiterate people in the world blows my mind.
You think it's by chance?
It is the natural state of Mankind. :P

Yeah. People have always been innumerate. No conspiracy required
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

PSA

If you need to call the bank, do it sober. Don’t drink and bank.

Thank you,

The guy that has to explain your finances to your drunk ass.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

"Ekthooth me. I'd like to order a peetha pleez. Large peetha with pepperoni and thothage, umkay? How long will that take?"
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Fid

Post by Fid »

Scene: Front desk in small engine repair shop.

Me: (holding up 21 inch long hardened steel lawnmower blade bent at 45 degree angle)
. Seems your machine struck something a rock, a stump, a water meter, something.
Fortunately the aluminum flywheel key did its job and sheared thereby preventing
a bent crankshaft.

Customer: I didn't hit anything therefore the repair is covered by warranty.

Me: Since we are an Authorized Warranty Service Center for your brand of machine I
have here a copy of the warranty agreement. Please note here under the heading
"What is NOT covered by this warranty Abuse among various other things it
specifically mentions bent blades, sheared flywheel keys, bent crankshafts.

Customer: But I didn't hit anything.

Me: Ah...soo (ceremoniously adds bent blade to pegboard behind counter containing
hundreds of other bent blades all under the elegant sign stating

. NEVER LOAN TO URI GELLER

This is the Kabuki version.
... The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

In my prior job, my last job, I coordinated the design, installation and implementation of automation in factory line processes. Small factories mostly; canning, bottling, extrusion, yada.

I didn't design, I didn't install, and I didn't implement anythig, but all the coordinating was me, me, me, and my small team of ~five or so technicians and surveyors and draftsmen ... but mostly me. I was a little bit like that guy from office space that was the go-between for customers and engineers, except I actually worked for a living.

We did the initial on-site surveys, scheduled and oversaw engineering efforts, made sure things not only fit but could actually get through the door and be maintained ... that sort of thing. But, perhaps most importantly, I spent my time smoothing the feathers of very nervous production managers and bean counters.

Here's a conversation from about six or so years ago with clients via conference call.

Lister: Looking over the notes for that line, we see that its current output is a QA station consisting of two inspectors dedicated to observing product as it exits the last prep stage. Your concern is that you're still missing a little over 40% of the defects, fouling up the next line. That's actually up from 30% when you only had one inspector. Why did you double up? What changed?

Production manager: It was becoming a choke-point so had to add another person. But yea, they talk to each other and are not paying attention. That's why the numbers are rising ...

HR manager: We've done counseling and increased job training. I think increased incentives will gut us ...

... arguing in the background went on for a good five minutes.

Lister: As we discussed last week, we can eliminate the inspectors at that station. The defects they're looking for--and missing--are well within the realm of automation. And its easy to implement; zero down time. Cheap even, as these things go. It will catch all the defects ... better than 99% anyway. It will pay for itself in six months, worst case. I can send you the numbers.
:wink:
... arguing in the background went on for another several minutes. Some yelling this time. I was muted several times. I think occupied myself by posting something snarky to SC while I was waiting. I can probably find the exact post.

Accounting manager: That increase in detection means we're going to lose a lot more product. We can't afford that kind of waste.

Most everyone voices agreement but I could just somehow picture the production manager--a really smart guy I've worked with in the past--face-palming himself. Maybe even a double-face-palm.

[long pause]

Lister: Well, I suppose that also rules out separating the two inspectors you have now so they'll pay more attention. We'll come back to this. Lets move on.