Faith in humanity update

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Faith in humanity update

Post by Bruce » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:54 pm

My faith in humanity is now at an all time low after watching multiple Neflix episodes of Rotten and Broken. If you're feeling suicidal, don't watch these shows within reach of a loaded gun.

I just finished the one on Vaping, and it bothered me more than all of them because the rise of the vaping epidemic is an exact replica of the rise of the cigarette epidemic, except fast forwarded thanks to the internet. And when I say exact replica, I mean you can have a side by side comparison of every pro vaping corporate advertisement from the last 5 years placed side by side with clips from the 80s on cigs, every government anti abuse add, every interview with recovering addicts claiming "we didn't know" and so on. Its vomit inducing.

Except this time, we can't claim ignorance. The negative health effects of vaping were known and a available for free on the internet from the very beginning. Yet the vaping epidemic not only rose faster than cigarettes, it became a multibillion dollar industry faster, complete with CEOs that flatly deny marketing to children, and waive away the public health crisis as a matter for the public health sector to handle.

Its abundantly clear that humanity has learned absolutely nothing despite being given every opportunity to learn from history and from each other through the internet. When the end of humanity comes, quite likely in 2020, we will be getting exactly what we deserve.

Anyway, the next episode of Broken is about the evils of IKEA. Can't wait! :Popcorn:
Such potential!

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Faith in humanity update

Post by sparks » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:10 pm

Bruce, you forgot the role that booze plays in this scenario. One really needs three things to off oneself, loss of hope for a better future, lots and lots of booze, and the fucking gun. (Thanks ed!) And there you go.

Not a bad way to go. Fairly fast and therefore mostly painless. It's the 'brain-bounce' that bothers me. If I were ever driven to such an act, I'd like to arrange things so the brain would end up being a sort of 'soup de jour' rather than bouncing across the living room and becoming a cat toy.

Ping physics kidz: How to 'soupify' the brain from close range with things that go BANG! rather than turning them into cat toys. :)

Oh, and fuck.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:13 pm

You want to REALLY lose your faith in humanity? Work a few weeks in a bank call center.

Had a guy the other day who was angry that he couldn't withdraw $200 from an ATM. I told him that it was because he only had slightly under $100 in his account. He then proceeded to go off because "[We] ALWAYS LET HIM OVERDRAFT BEFORE!!!!"

Apparently he had no idea that if you keep overdrafting the bank is going to stop letting you do that. And he was mad about it. Apparently I ruined his Black Friday by not changing things so he could dig himself into a deeper hole.
The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:26 pm

Jesus ass-slapping Christ but people are teh stoopidz.

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:32 pm

sparks wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:10 pm
Bruce, you forgot the role that booze plays in this scenario. One really needs three things to off oneself, loss of hope for a better future, lots and lots of booze, and the fucking gun. (Thanks ed!) And there you go.

Not a bad way to go. Fairly fast and therefore mostly painless. It's the 'brain-bounce' that bothers me. If I were ever driven to such an act, I'd like to arrange things so the brain would end up being a sort of 'soup de jour' rather than bouncing across the living room and becoming a cat toy.

Ping physics kidz: How to 'soupify' the brain from close range with things that go BANG! rather than turning them into cat toys. :)

Oh, and fuck.
Stand in the middle of a field. Problem solved.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
I care :rub:

sparks

Post by sparks » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:34 pm

I'm asking for constructive input and that's the best Florida Man can do?

Fucking pathetic. Then again, it is Florida after all. :)

shemp
Title: crazy as fuck

Post by shemp » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:36 pm

ed is fucking pathetic from breathing far too much swamp gas.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

sparks

Post by sparks » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:54 pm

I'd try swamp gas if I thought it'd help. But no. Swamps are our childrens future: They'll need petrochemicals and gun powder just as much as we do.

Wait...

What?

ed

Post by ed » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:18 pm

I thought that I was being helpful. Sorry

sparks

Post by sparks » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:23 pm

Don't take it personally ed, you know we all loathe you! :rub:

ed

Post by ed » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:39 pm

Ok then.

ed

Post by ed » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:40 pm

Just trying to help. It's a fla tradition you know.

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:01 am

The details of how the JUUL was developed was the most appalling.

Early markting studies of e-cigarettes showed that users complained of a burning sensation in their lungs. This is because nicotine dissolved in water is a acidic. In cigs, you don't notice it as much because you get a nice protective coating of tar and soot.

So the geniuses at JUUL simply did a pH adjustment to make salt form of nicotine. Viola. No more lung burn. Without the lung burn, they could crank up the nicotine concentration ten fold. That means that the high that teens are getting from JUUL is ten times more powerful than their grandparents were getting from cigs, and 10 times more addictive. So, its not surprising that profits from JUUL have surpassed cigs in just a few short years.

You can't sell pure nicotine to the public because it's a narcotic, but you can dilute it a little bit with bubble-gum flavoring, put it in an electronic toy, and sell it to children as a fashion accessory. This exceeds James Bond villain levels of evil.

And the health effects of breathing concentrated levels of flavoring oils and nicotine salts are already in. This explosion of new teen addicts are going to suffer and die from the same lung diseases as their grandparents.

But they'll have cheaper furniture that looks nicer. :!:
Such potential!

sparks

Post by sparks » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:53 am

Thanks Bruce. (I think...) :)

Poor miserable buggers.

I've got a pen, but it's full of Sativa. Helps keep the blues away dontcha know.

shuize

Post by shuize » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:01 am

Bruce wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:01 am
So the geniuses at JUUL simply did a pH adjustment to make salt form of nicotine. Viola. No more lung burn. Without the lung burn, they could crank up the nicotine concentration ten fold. That means that the high that teens are getting from JUUL is ten times more powerful than their grandparents were getting from cigs, and 10 times more addictive. So, its not surprising that profits from JUUL have surpassed cigs in just a few short years.

That almost sounds like a stock recommendation.

I did a quick stock ticker search on JUUL. It doesn't seem to be publicly traded but Altria and Fidelity Investments own a large percentage if anyone wants to invest indirectly.

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:57 am

Sure, you're welcome.

Actually, if the end of humanity is made directly into a publically traded stock, I would recommend that we all invest immediately.
Such potential!

Fid

Post by Fid » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:55 am

Goddfucking dammit dickweed we (well others not so much me) have worked our foreskins off to find yer sorry ass a place both beautiful and lonely. There is a place behind this though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Mountain
"Try SCE to AUX."
Yeah, me and an electrified atmosphere ain't friends.

shuize

Post by shuize » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:34 am

Fid wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:55 am
Goddfucking dammit dickweed we (well others not so much me) have worked our foreskins off to find yer sorry ass a place both beautiful and lonely. There is a place behind this though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Mountain

Been there. Both to the top and around the perimeter. Just the place for Bruce.

Actually, I remember the walk around it quite well. I had a good idea how far it would be when I suggested it. My (ex) wife did not. Five miles. She was mad most of the time. Ha. Ha. Good times.

Fid

Post by Fid » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:52 am

Quick story about the top of Stone Mountain... On Memorial Day some years ago I rigged a kite to hoist the stars 'n stripes out top them Confederate boyos. Yeah the flag was tiny compared to the sculpture but a park ranger informed me some veterans took note.
"Try SCE to AUX."
Yeah, me and an electrified atmosphere ain't friends.

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:19 am

I was on Stone Mountain in 1984 when was a wee lad and in 1996 during the Olympics. Nice place. Lots of mini craters on top from lightning strikes.
Such potential!