Christmas Dinner

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
solely

Re: Christmas Dinner

Post by solely »

No salt, NONE!NOTHINg!

They shoot horses, don't they?

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

About that silken tofu. Did you heat it up?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

solely

Post by solely »

No.

It's organic too.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Let me guess.

You were the Emperor Vitellius in a past life? :BigGrin3:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... 348,019:13
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Tonight:

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Weiners.

Two of them.
About that stereo

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Looks good.

Simple yet satisfying.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

solely

Post by solely »

Please don't tell me you put ketchup and mayonnaise on them. The only thing worse would be
covering spaghetti with chili.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

No... that's ketchup, brown mustard, and relish. Sweet potatoes fries. Whole wheat buns. All low sodium.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

solely

Post by solely »

I didn't want to embarrass you by mentioning the whole wheat buns.

shuize

Post by shuize »

This could also go in the Japan thread.

My Japanese girlfriend is currently pissed of at me for, among other things, not buying a Christmas cake.

My thoughts.

First: "You work, buy your own fucking cake."

Second: "Christmas cake (other than fruitcake) is a Japanese thing, so buy your own fucking cake."

Third: "I don't remember any present for me sitting under that tree, so I hope you're planning on working yours off this year."

I know, I'm a romantic.

But, seriously, this relationship may have run its course.

Incidentally, for our non-Japanese based friends, in Japan they sometimes call unmarried women over 25 "Christmas cake" because ... well you can probably guess. Maybe I should remind my over 25-year-old girlfriend of her nation's views on the subject.
"Don't trust China. China is asshoe."

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

ed wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:56 pm
Horrible dinner.
Virginia ham, sucked, my "glaze" was putrid and nondescript

"Scalloped potatoes" were slivers of starch in wallpaper paste. "There is no difference between good scalloped potatoes and bad scalloped potatoes", to paraphrase Wag the Dog

Crappy broccoli and cauliflower in "creme sauce" simply leveraged the wallpaper paste from the potatoes and added green and white embellishments. Bland and horrid and shitty

Sweet potatoes were out of a can and slavered with brown sugar and butter and pancake syrup. Should have been the worst, turned out to be the best and that tells you something.

Forgot there was pineapple. Hate it though.

Thing is we usually do the fillet in stilton with roasted pototes etc. This year we were pissed off at everybody and thought "fuck all if I'm spending $500 on this ungrateful lot".

Horrible horrible. No booze because of the "problem" that 2 of them have (the third one was a no show, no call, no nothin'. But hey, just spent $300k on fucking RISD so she can wait tables. Really :x :x ) Lack of booze is bad because everyone could stew and recognize how we are not terribly happy together in a sober state.

This is no exaggeration. My wife and I woke up muttering and exchanging angry glances (not at each other, just general piss offedness).

I wanted to run off to Isla Morada in the Keys for xmas. "Nooooooooooooooooo we have to be with family". Well, as Jesus said "we have our reward"

I will be irritated for a day or so. Watch out. No metric. :x :x :x No modulo :x :x :x

eta and AC keep your fucking food to yourself :x :x And your pleasantly surprised wife too. :x :x
Does this mean there'll be no more jibes about the quality of British food? :D
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

ed

Post by ed »

I have never suggested that ever. I have had wonderful meals in the UK. In fact, I often wondered where the calumny originated.

Not british but one of the most memorable meals I ever had was at a place called One Devonshire Gardens
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... tland.html

Loved dining in London, York and places in between.

You will never hear me criticize Brit food. Ever.

Wanker.
About that stereo

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

I suspect the calumny originated with American GIs returning from Britain after WWs I & II when food was strictly rationed.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

ed

Post by ed »

Could be. My father (aka "Warrior Ed") was statoned in London for 6 months before D-Day (the one where we won the war for you lot) and I don't recall him commenting on the food.

Incidentially. I was at a business dinner in London a while back and one of the gents at the table said something to the effect "thank you for your help in the war", he raied his glass in a bit of a toast.

We here forget that the war was different for you all, both of them. We forget (or never knew) how desperate it was. I recall visiting a little cemetery in Scotland, must have been outside of Inverness somewhere. My wife said something like "gosh, all these people died on the same day". I pointed out that it was a day during the Somme offensive. All the Pals. Can you imagine what it was like in that village? Really inutterably sad.
About that stereo

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

solely wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:48 am
I didn't want to embarrass you by mentioning the whole wheat buns.
They keep me "regular."

shuize

Post by shuize »

ed wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:01 pm
We here forget that the war was different for you all, both of them. We forget (or never knew) how desperate it was. I recall visiting a little cemetery in Scotland, must have been outside of Inverness somewhere. My wife said something like "gosh, all these people died on the same day". I pointed out that it was a day during the Somme offensive. All the Pals. Can you imagine what it was like in that village? Really inutterably sad.

Perhaps a difference in degree but not so much in kind.

See, for example, the Sullivan brothers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sullivan_brothers
"Don't trust China. China is asshoe."

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

How many potatoes does it take to kill an Irishman?
Spoiler:
Zero

ed

Post by ed »

shuize wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:18 pm
ed wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:01 pm

Perhaps a difference in degree but not so much in kind.

See, for example, the Sullivan brothers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sullivan_brothers
I'm familiar with their story.

I think that the difference in degree is orders of magnitude and that makes it a difference in kind. (<---n.b. quotable)

My experience in talking with Brits (YMMV) is that it is still a close in thing with them. Very close, like intimate.
Many of these locally raised battalions suffered heavy casualties during the Somme offensives of 1916. A notable example was the 11th (Service) Battalion (Accrington), East Lancashire Regiment, better known as the Accrington Pals. The Accrington Pals were ordered to attack Serre, the most northerly part of the main assault, on the opening day of the battle. The Accrington Pals were accompanied by Pals battalions drawn from Sheffield, Leeds, Barnsley, and Bradford.[4] Of an estimated 700 Accrington Pals who took part in the attack, 235 were killed and 350 wounded within the space of twenty minutes.[5] Despite repeated attempts, Serre was not taken until February 1917, at which time the German Army had evacuated to the Hindenburg Line.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pals_battalion

They really lost a generation of young men.
About that stereo

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

ed wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:24 am
Weiners.

Two of them.
Broiled...none of this newfangled microwave thing.