Which Subway Seat

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!

Which Seat?

1
2
22%
2
1
11%
3
0
No votes
4
0
No votes
5
1
11%
On planet x, we stand.
5
56%
 
Total votes: 9

User avatar
Rob Lister
Posts: 21449
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed

Which Subway Seat

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:44 am

The latest viral tweet.
A simple tweet from a Bronx man hit the express track on Twitter to become one of 2020′s biggest memes so far.

On New Years Eve, a social media user named Gabe tweeted a seemingly simple question from his @gplatinum_ account: All my New Yorkers, which is the best seat?

He included a photo of the MTA’s L-shaped seat setup along with a diagram.

The seat closest to the door was assigned the number one, the seat next to it was given the number two and the third seat in the train’s in-facing bench was labelled number three. The pair of seats facing that bench were numbered four and five, with four being the window seat and five being on the aisle.

Thousands of page views later, it became clear that New Yorkers are not in agreement on the answer to that question.
Image

I might pick 2 but I would manspread into 1 and 3.

But if I pick 1, I can rest my legs on 2 and 3.

It's a tough decision.

User avatar
ed
Posts: 36872
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: Which Subway Seat

Post by ed » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:35 am

There is an order bias possible. The numbers should be counterbalanced.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
My indifference is boundless :x
[img]/img]

solely
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:41 pm

Re: Which Subway Seat

Post by solely » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:13 pm

My choice of #1 seat is academic, I'd never set foot on a subway.

User avatar
shemp
Posts: 6107
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:16 pm
Title: inbred shit-for-brains
Location: Planet X

Re: Which Subway Seat

Post by shemp » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:49 pm

I voted Planet X but I choose 1. You have a pole to hold for extra support.

But yeah, I'd never get on a subway. Been over ten years since I have.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 79588
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago

Re: Which Subway Seat

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:10 pm

Some CTA (Chicago "L") cars have that same arrangement.

Hey ed! The Myrtle Avenue line was like that, right? 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

User avatar
ed
Posts: 36872
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: Which Subway Seat

Post by ed » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:23 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:10 pm
Some CTA (Chicago "L") cars have that same arrangement.

Hey ed! The Myrtle Avenue line was like that, right? 8)
Image

Note the straps. Woven fiber of some sort. As were the seats.

Tradition!!!

They were pulled by Dago immigrants for 5 cents a day. Dagos pulled them to Jay Street, Mics pulled them back to Metropolitan Avenue. Honest days pay for an honest days work. Those were racist times so blacks could not get that sort of well paying work.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
My indifference is boundless :x
[img]/img]

User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 25792
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Re: Which Subway Seat

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:32 pm

Here's the newest model of subway train that I ride to work:

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2018 ... rains.html



As far as the best seat, to me the best seat is the one on the end. That way there's a person on only one side of you instead of both. I don't mind other seats as long as it's not crowded though. The real key to comfortable commuting in Tokyo if you're a big guy is knowing the best place to stand. It's not worth trying to sit on an overcrowded train. So I stand in a corner with a wall to lean on, if I can, while everyone else is scrambling to find an open seat.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 79588
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago

Re: Which Subway Seat

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:46 pm

ed wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:23 pm
They were pulled by Dago immigrants for 5 cents a day. Dagos pulled them to Jay Street, Mics pulled them back to Metropolitan Avenue. Honest days pay for an honest days work. Those were racist times so blacks could not get that sort of well paying work.
In the Good Old Days (before your time young fella) it was all the way to Sands Street, with maybe a few over the Brooklyn Bridge to City Hall in rush hour.

When they cut it back to Jay Street in 1944, that was the beginning of the end for Western Civilization. :oldman:
Last edited by Abdul Alhazred on Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

User avatar
ed
Posts: 36872
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: Which Subway Seat

Post by ed » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:24 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:32 pm
Here's the newest model of subway train that I ride to work:

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2018 ... rains.html



As far as the best seat, to me the best seat is the one on the end. That way there's a person on only one side of you instead of both. I don't mind other seats as long as it's not crowded though. The real key to comfortable commuting in Tokyo if you're a big guy is knowing the best place to stand. It's not worth trying to sit on an overcrowded train. So I stand in a corner with a wall to lean on, if I can, while everyone else is scrambling to find an open seat.
Who pulls them? Korean POWs?
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
My indifference is boundless :x
[img]/img]

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 79588
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago

Re: Which Subway Seat

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:06 pm

Anax: That train has the "pack 'em in" seating arrangement, also seen in some NYC subway cars before the latest crop.

Unlike NYC there appears to be complete walk through for the whole train. What a great feature. :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 25792
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan

Re: Which Subway Seat

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:18 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:06 pm
Anax: That train has the "pack 'em in" seating arrangement, also seen in some NYC subway cars before the latest crop.

Unlike NYC there appears to be complete walk through for the whole train. What a great feature. :)
There are sliding doors between the cars but the doors are made of plexiglass so you can easily see through into the next car.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

User avatar
Pyrrho
Posts: 28450
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6

Re: Which Subway Seat

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:05 pm

Seat 5. I can swivel into the aisle if necessary for more leg room. Can't do that in the other seats especially if they're all filled.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

User avatar
ed
Posts: 36872
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: Which Subway Seat

Post by ed » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:29 pm

A new yorker will invariably say Seat 4. Reason is that you are insulated from the standees. You can sit there with little pressure, overhang, drooling, pick pocketing. All of these things will definately occur with any of the other seats.

Phyrro: Leg room? hahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahaaaaaaaa
in a ny subway?
hahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaa
Protection from bum-drool is far more important.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
My indifference is boundless :x
[img]/img]

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 79588
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago

Re: Which Subway Seat

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:35 pm

ed wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:29 pm
A new yorker will invariably say Seat 4. Reason is that you are insulated from the standees. You can sit there with little pressure, overhang, drooling, pick pocketing. All of these things will definately occur with any of the other seats.

Phyrro: Leg room? hahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahaaaaaaaa
in a ny subway?
hahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaa
Protection from bum-drool is far more important.
And if it's crowded enough that being able to get out is an issue, you don't sit down at all, unless you are elderly, infirm, or a fucking asshole. :bigthumb:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

User avatar
ed
Posts: 36872
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: Which Subway Seat

Post by ed » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:38 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:35 pm
ed wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:29 pm
A new yorker will invariably say Seat 4. Reason is that you are insulated from the standees. You can sit there with little pressure, overhang, drooling, pick pocketing. All of these things will definately occur with any of the other seats.

Phyrro: Leg room? hahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahaaaaaaaa
in a ny subway?
hahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaa
Protection from bum-drool is far more important.
And if it's crowded enough that being able to get out is an issue, you don't sit down at all, unless you are elderly, infirm, or a fucking asshole. :bigthumb:
Yup. Then you park yourself right a the door, other people be damned. This is NY and YOU are important.

n.b. God I hated the subway. 10 years +/-
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
My indifference is boundless :x
[img]/img]