I feel like a piece of shit

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Nyarlathotep

I feel like a piece of shit

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I can't bitch about this anywhere else, in real life or on Facebook, so I will vent to you assholes.

As some of you may know, my sister's ex-husband very nearly succeeded in murdering her a few months ago. Nearly but not quite. She has been staying with me since she got out of the hospital because a) she had nowhere else to go and b) I live a lot closer to her doctors and such than any of my other relatives and she is needing a lot of surgeries to recover.

Long story short, I love my sister but she is driving me insane. 90% of it is that in real life, I am quiet, reclusive and I don't really like to talk very much. Not to anyone. One of the things I love about Chani is that we are both quite comfortable with silence. My sister, on the other hand, LOVES to talk. She won't shut up. From the minute I get in the door from work to the minute one of us goes to bed, she yammers at me non stop. She tries hard to not wear out her welcome, I can tell, but goddamit she just won't shut up.

She is supposed to be moving into a place of her own at the end of the month, and I feel like an asshole for how much relief I feel that she will soon be gone and silence will once again reign supreme in our household.

No real point to this thread other than that. It was vent here or explode at her.

Anyway...

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Re: I feel like a piece of shit

Post by asthmatic camel »

I feel your pain.

Truly.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

No, no, no, you're not a POS. The real POS is the lowlife who inflicted pain and suffering on your sister and you and your family. No doubt your sister is enduring extreme anxiety and so are you. There's nothing easy or simple about recovering from such violence. Try not to allow the POS to continue to inflict pain by proxy. It's his fault, not yours.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

ed
Title: Not gay

Post by ed »

Bear with it, at least an end is in sight.

Doing a good thing does not necessarily have to be pleasant.

Chin up.
About that stereo

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

"Oh, and fuck." -- Cool Hand
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

robinson
Title: Hmmm ...

Post by robinson »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:37 am
Long story short, I love my sister but she is driving me insane.
I have a sister that if I let her stay with me (which I never ever will), would drive me insane. I do not feel like a piece of shit. I feel sane.
♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ "

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor."

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬

shuize

Post by shuize »

I used to think I was mentally tough. But when my ex took the kids, it nearly wrecked me. It helped when I could talk to friends. At times, I couldn't not talk to them. By which I mean I'd tell myself "Don't bore them with your shit again" before meeting them and then, straight away, I'd start talking about it.

If you sister is anything like I was at that point in my life, it may be that she can't help herself from talking. If so, know that you're helping her by listening.

ed

Post by ed »

We are having probs with kids who drink too much. I will unburden myself eventually but a real breakthru occurred when we realized that it was not us, it was (is) them. Fuck guilt, we did good.

Damn, how deep is that pond anyway.
1. Kid 1
2 Kid 2
3 Nyarl sis
4 ?
About that stereo

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

shuize wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:51 pm
I used to think I was mentally tough. But when my ex took the kids, it nearly wrecked me. It helped when I could talk to friends. At times, I couldn't not talk to them. By which I mean I'd tell myself "Don't bore them with your shit again" before meeting them and then, straight away, I'd start talking about it.

If you sister is anything like I was at that point in my life, it may be that she can't help herself from talking. If so, know that you're helping her by listening.
Could be, she’s always been a talkative sort. But I do notice that it gets worse when she is dealing with things in the aftermath (ie yesterday she had been preparing some sort of statements for the DA)

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

ed wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:29 pm
We are having probs with kids who drink too much. I will unburden myself eventually but a real breakthru occurred when we realized that it was not us, it was (is) them. Fuck guilt, we did good.

1. Kid 1
2 Kid 2
3 Nyarl sis
4 ?
Annoying as she is, I do love my sister and don’t want her in your pond.

Now, her piece of shit ex. He I would gladly feed to Myakka Moe in a heartbeat.

ed

Post by ed »

When I determined that I had a solution to the damn kids I conjured up the title of my autobiography/self help tome

How Deep is the Pond

The title of the sequel just came to me

Spreading Rings
About that stereo

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

On the other hand, I may have created a new MST3K fan out of her, so there’s that

Jimmy the Gent
Title: Goodfella

Post by Jimmy the Gent »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:44 pm
ed wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:29 pm

1. Kid 1
2 Kid 2
3 Nyarl sis
4 ?
Annoying as she is, I do love my sister and don’t want her in your pond.

Now, her piece of shit ex. He I would gladly feed to Myakka Moe in a heartbeat.
Feed 'em to the lions. At the zoo. They eat everybody there.
You trying to be a wiseguy with me?

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I don't know if you can find anything useful in here, but it's the best I can do:

5 Steps for Dealing With People Who Talk Too Much (Psychology Today)
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness »

Can't suggest much as Nyarl clearly stated all aspects of the conundrum. :|

Perhaps going for a long walk if circumstances (time of day, weather, local geography) permit?

Now to make you all laugh, something I thought happened only in cartoons and weak jokes: I once bedded a lady who just went on talking, till I had to ask her to shut up or it would have disastrous consequences on my erection. :x

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

The opposite is just as bad: Except for the fact that she was still breathing, I really couldn't know if she were dead or alive.

Fuck.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

asthmatic camel

Mrs. Camel loves to talk. I mean really loves to talk. From the moment she awakens to the moment she talks herself to sleep. Everywhere she goes, the ground is left littered with the hind legs of unfortunate donkeys. She talks while she drives, she talks through movies and television programs, she yells through live concerts, she even talks to books when she's reading. In short, she is one of life's born communicators.

Back in the real world, I am much like Nyarlathotep but in Spades. Almost terminally shy, completely incapable of small talk, reclusive to the extent that I rarely leave home during daylight hours unless I absolutely must and find the concept of loneliness difficult to comprehend. To avoid the unpleasantness of human interaction with strangers when out and about, I frequently pretend to be deaf, pointing to my ear and shaking my head apologetically. I could, quite happily, spend the rest of my life reading books, listening to music, painting, playing harmonicas, (badly), tinkering with stuff like computers, bicycles, model railways, etc. without speaking to another soul.

Do I love Mrs. Camel? Yes, dearly and wholeheartedly: we've now been very happily married for a quarter of a century. How do we put up with each other? Because when she needs to impart some information to me which is actually important, she clouts me around the head and resorts to very rude Jamaican patois. Otherwise, her constant nattering washes over me like muzac in a supermarket. For my part, when I need to intrude on her constant simulcasting of interior musings and observations, I have developed THE SILENT STARE. This involves lowering my spectacles and fixing her with my steely, unblinking, green-eyed glare for as long as it takes for her to STFU.

Somehow, it works. :)
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

robinson
Title: Hmmm ...

Post by robinson »

Whatever happened to "shut the hell up!' as a clue?
♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ "

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor."

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

asthmatic camel wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:04 pm
Back in the real world, I am much like Nyarlathotep but in Spades. Almost terminally shy, completely incapable of small talk, reclusive to the extent that I rarely leave home during daylight hours unless I absolutely must and find the concept of loneliness difficult to comprehend.
You is probably true, from your perspective, that you're just not into the chitchat. But from her perspective, you're just a great listener.

That's why she's stayed with you these many decades.

asthmatic camel

Rob Lister wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:45 pm
asthmatic camel wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:04 pm
Back in the real world, I am much like Nyarlathotep but in Spades. Almost terminally shy, completely incapable of small talk, reclusive to the extent that I rarely leave home during daylight hours unless I absolutely must and find the concept of loneliness difficult to comprehend.
You is probably true, from your perspective, that you're just not into the chitchat. But from her perspective, you're just a great listener.

That's why she's stayed with you these many decades.
Well, seeing as it definitely ain't the size of my dick, it's either that or the fact that I'm a damn fine cook...