Things you regret not doing

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Nyarlathotep
Title: God Emperor

Re: Things you regret not doing

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Pyrrho wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:22 am
I regret not completing my college degree.
I regret not learning martial arts.

I studied Sil Lum Kung Fu when I was a younger, thinner man (in my early 20s, to be precise). I learned three important things

1) How to throw a punch hard without breaking my hand or wrist.
2) How to minimize the pain and damage of falling.
3) How to ignore pain, to a degree.

Everything else was either pretty much for show. I appreciate what I learned, but as for actual fighting, one pretty much learns that by getting into fights. Whether those are formal martial arts bouts or getting into bar room scraps. That last flows from the concept that if you get your ass kicked enough times you figure out ways to not get your ass kicked.

I remember when my sifu went to demonstrate "pressure points on me", and hit me in a spot that was supposed to be debilitating. When he hit the spot I told him "Well, I would rather you didn't do that any more. But it's mostly just annoying"

I became very skeptical of martial arts after that.
Last edited by Nyarlathotep on Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Power bases are very dangerous because they attract people who are truly insane, people who seek power only for the sake of power.”

Nyarlathotep
Title: God Emperor

Post by Nyarlathotep »

My biggest regret is not pursuing my dream of going to film school. I have kicked myself every day of my cinephile life for not doing that.
“Power bases are very dangerous because they attract people who are truly insane, people who seek power only for the sake of power.”

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:43 am
My biggest regret is not pursuing my dream of going to film school. I have kicked myself every day of my cinephile life for not doing that.
Older "film-makers" than you have made complete garbage and were still, somehow successful. I say follow your dreams!

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

These days you could film cockroach races and monetize it on YouTube.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Pyrrho wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:32 am
These days you could film cockroach races and monetize it on YouTube.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

QED

Witness

Post by Witness »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:43 am
No need for a school.

It has never been easier to make movies. Any half decent camera (or smartphone) can also shoot good clips and there are tons of free software to combine them afterwards.

Get on it! :figamagee:

gnome

Post by gnome »

Calling back to an older thread:

"I'm sorry, tall hot girl in my Spanish class, I've already seen Star Trek IV."
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

We've seen that before. Still as full of Dumbth as it was first time around.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

robinson
Title: Hmmm ...

Post by robinson »

I understand the posting then deleting the post thing
♪ ♫ ♩ ♬ "

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor."

♪ ♫ ♩ ♬

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Well, I suppose, if forced to respond, I'd say that my biggest regret was not taking up music when I was wee lad. I suppose I should blame my parents for that. They could have forced me, right?

They let me down by not getting me formal lessons.

I took up guitar at the old age of 19. I never got any good at it; I'm like Guitar George, I know all the cords. But unlike Guitar George, my rhythm is like:

It's really quite embarrassing.

I have learned to read music over the years, but just barely; I can 'work out' a melody from sheet music, but it is so difficult that I never bother; it's easier to just fake it by ear than to get it right. But I'm not really good at that either. I've pretty much set it aside.

Son3, OTOH, picked up my ragged electric at seven, and hasn't put it down since. I taught him all I knew by the time he was 12. By 13, he would dutifully accompany me but would get frustrated at my lack of rhythm and technique. He's a little like me in that he can just barely read music, but unlike me he can hear it once and just know it.

I let him down by not getting him formal lessons.

solely

Post by solely »

By the third one you must have been exhausted.