Any lawyers (or judges) here? This one's for you.

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Any lawyers (or judges) here? This one's for you.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Judge Asks Attorneys to Wear Shirts, Get Out of Bed for Videoconferences
https://loweringthebar.net/2020/04/judg ... econf.html
As many sources have reported, a bar association in Florida has posted a message from Judge Dennis Bailey discussing the effects of the shutdown on Broward County courts, noting among other things that at least some divisions are now using Zoom to conduct hearings by videoconference, and offering some tips on how attorneys can do a better job of this.

Among those tips: Put on a shirt.
  • The judges would appreciate it if the lawyers and their clients keep in mind these Zoom hearings are just that: hearings. They are not casual phone conversations. It is remarkable how many ATTORNEYS appear inappropriately on camera. We’ve seen many lawyers in casual shirts and blouses, with no concern for ill-grooming, in bedrooms with the master bed in the background, etc. One male lawyer appeared shirtless and one female attorney appeared still in bed, still under the covers. And putting on a beach cover-up won’t cover up [that] you’re poolside in a bathing suit. So, please, if you don’t mind, let’s treat court hearings as court hearings, whether Zooming or not.
Emphasis added.

I had some doubts as to whether this was a real message, partly due to my disbelief that an attorney would actually participate in a court conference without a shirt on, or while still in bed (possibly both?). Almost all the reports link only to the Westin Bar Association’s site, and while that is a real thing, having only a single source is not ideal. But Dennis Bailey is, in fact, a judge on the 17th Judicial Circuit Court, which covers Broward County, and he commented on the message yesterday to the Miami Herald. The Herald article notes that Bailey is on the board of the Weston Bar Association, which explains why it appeared there (it wasn’t on the court’s website).

Judge Bailey—who, the Herald claimed, “has to wear his robes during hearings,” though I don’t think that’s true—said he wrote the message mostly to update attorneys on the court’s status. But because the court’s own website already does that, it is hard for me to dismiss the idea that his real goal with this particular message was to express his profound amazement that attorneys would actually do this kind of thing. Still, he said the part about the dress code—and I guess “wear a shirt to court” qualifies as a “dress code,” at least in some jurisdictions–was just an “observation” that attorneys should dress in such a way as to show “recognition that this is a court hearing,” and that people should expect to get “the same amount of respect” that they show the court.

That probably does not bode well for the attorneys who couldn’t put on a shirt or get out of bed for a court call, but the reports don’t offer any details about those cases.
:lmao:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Re: Any lawyers (or judges) here? This one's for you.

Post by robinson »

The female attorneys were exempted from this requirement
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
robinson

Post by robinson »

Nobody likes my sense of humor
robinson

Post by robinson »

Or more likely, they just don’t like me

Hahahahahaha
robinson

Post by robinson »

Ha
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

<menacingly> ha ha ha </>
This space for let
Fid

Post by Fid »

"All stand." Yeah the same I issue while sitting down with me chihuahuas. Let me tell the time I took fed prosecutor to task for wasting my goddam time. Hint it involved cannabis and prohibition .
Edit to add: Nope despite a talk in the judges chambers I wasn't allowed on the jury.
... The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan