Mowing

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!

Should I mow?

Yes, be compliant with all local ordinances and thwart the drive-by inspectors
45%
No, flaunt the law, take your chances, live life to the fullest
9%
Planet X is one big ball of unmowed grass
45%

Total votes: 11

solely

Re: Mowing

Post by solely »

Wait, I didn't vote yet.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Relax, it's growing back.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Got a lot of this invasive stuff. Chokes out the fescue. Thrives in wet crappy dirt like I have.

Dries out and smothers everything else. Easier to cut than the other grass, when it's green. When it's dried, wraps around the blade spindles and the mower is like LOL WUT.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Now lemme tell you about the time I smacked my first metatarsal with a mattock...
Fid

Post by Fid »

Sharpen and balance bud, metal fatigue doth wreck havoc.
... The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan
Fid

Post by Fid »

Do tell, having been yanked by a wire rope near a long drop. Short version...it fucking hurt.
... The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Fid wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:08 pm Sharpen and balance bud, metal fatigue doth wreck havoc.
Well...mowing the field today...hella rattle started up in the mower deck. Shut 'er down, let 'er cool, took a gander. One of the blades is turning free and I can see about a half inch of the shaft. Can also see that the blades have been kissing each other in a very sadistic manner. Guess I will remove the loose blade because I won't run the mower in that condition. Also pricing a new mower. I think we've had this one for a good 15 years at least.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Gonna get a John Deere E100. Good enough for this parcel. Similar to the L110.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Before winter I intend to get a decent snowblower. I am not shoveling.
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

Mow.

With a Ransome's Marquis.

They're bastards to use and maintain but they keep you fit.

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Anything with an engine is cheating. :p
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Witness

Post by Witness »

What's wrong with a scythe?

solely

Post by solely »

You can always move to a desert environment.
asthmatic camel

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:46 pm Anything with an engine is cheating. :p
Try using a Ransome's Marquis. These things are fucking beasts! The first time I used one the gear cable came off and it dragged me half a mile up the road!
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

See that's the kind of machine I need. Grandpa had something like it--reel mower with an engine on it. Old school. Looks like the Marquis is just what I need to convince me to hire a landscaping service.
asthmatic camel

Ya know, Pyhhro, when gentlemen reach a certain age, it's well-worth paying younger people a pittance to perform menial tasks. :)
Witness

Post by Witness »

Borrow your neighbor's goats, they will take care of everything, including the poison ivy.

robinson
Title: Sweetheart

Post by robinson »

Goats come with their own set of problems
asthmatic camel

robinson wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:54 am Goats come with their own set of problems
Yeah, you use condoms, right?
Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce »

There are four types of dry weather loving weeds that have invaded my lawn this summer and ruined it. They are all resistant to weed killer and grow unbelievably fast. I've been reduced to yanking them up by hand and watering everyday just to keep what's left of my grass clinging to life.

There's this fern like stuff that stays low to the ground and speaks in all directions with long vines. There's one that showed up new this year that seems to be some variety of succulent. There's this thin vine-like leafy stuff, and then there's crab grass, but this is some new variety of alien crab grass that spreads in all directions, drains all the nutrients and kills everything near it, and propagates very quickly. I found a herbicide called Tenacity that weakens it enough to pull up by hand without pulling the grass up with it, but it damn near killed my whole front lawn last year.

And fuck Scott's brand of lawn care products. These weeds eat Scott's for breakfast. Trouble is, tenacity only seems to work on crab grass and clover. I don't know the names of the other besties.
Such potential!