You know how fusion power is always 15 years away?

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Re: You know how fusion power is always 15 years away?

Post by Hotarubi »

I'm hoping it lasts another ten years, just so I can wade through 500 new threads containing well researched posts.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

gnome wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:59 pm Want to make an avatar bet on it? I'd suggest by October 31 2021, there will be no COVID-related lockdowns or restrictions on public gatherings in the US. I personally think it might even be sooner but I'm trying to be conservative.

They are never lifting the restriction. We will still be required to wear masks in 2021. Hell, we will be required to wear masks in 3021.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

We are getting back to where we were in March with stores being out of everything.

But we are supposed to believe things are going to get better. They are only getting worse

Fuck
xouper

Post by xouper »

Nyarlathotep may be more right than he knows. Here's an excerpt:

James Delingpole wrote:
. . . The founder of the World Economic Forum Klaus Schwab has written a book — several books in fact — on his masterplan.

His latest, called Covid-19: The Great Reset, makes no bones about the fact that the chaos of the Coronavirus pandemic represents the perfect opportunity to accelerate the entire world towards a ‘new normal’.
At the time of writing (June 2020), the pandemic continues to worsen globally. Many of us are pondering when things will return to normal. The short response is: never. Nothing will ever return to the ‘broken’ sense of normalcy that prevailed prior to the crisis because the coronavirus pandemic marks a fundamental inflection point in our global trajectory.
Got that? As far as your new globalist overlords are concerned, you are NEVER going to get your old life back, however much you might wish it. Also, be clear: this is being done for your own good because your old way of life was based on a ‘broken’ model.

Such is the author’s conviction that the new normal is what we need and should want, he scarcely bothers to pretend that Chinese coronavirus is anything other than a handy pretext.
Unlike certain past epidemics, COVID-19 doesn’t pose a new existential threat.
Schwab is clear in his book that coronavirus is not so much a crisis as an opportunity to be exploited – a chance to accelerate the birth of the New World Order he calls The Fourth Industrial Revolution.

James Delingpole also points out (source) that both Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada, and Joe Biden are on board with that plan, both having adopted the plan's slogan: "Build Back Better".

And some of you here voted for that.
gnome

Post by gnome »

Well, forget about defining "normal"--I'm comfortable with sticking with the specific matters Ny refers to like lockdown restrictions and mask requirements.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

Real lockdowns work

What the US does is not really a lockdown
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Fusion power?

Why not use the great big fusion reactor in the sky? :)

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:53 pm Fusion power?

Why not use the great big fusion reactor in the sky? :)

I think that’s the one out near Tonopah and it’s cool
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

Shame that it fries birds that get too close.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Doctor X wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:36 am Creation of an vaccine does not require the production of neutrinos.

– J.D.
But if it did, just imagine how the antivaxxers would lose their shit! :)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
Fid

Post by Fid »

That may very well be... but.... I who lives just up the street from the CDC plan on my n95 masks for the foreseeable future.
... The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan
The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Nyarlathotep wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:34 am We are getting back to where we were in March with stores being out of everything.

But we are supposed to believe things are going to get better. They are only getting worse

Fuck
I can understand your feelings - I know a couple of people who were subject to anxiety prior to Covid and they're living through hell every single day.

I've been trying to focus on the positives with them, but it's been getting harder and harder until the last week.

We now have two vaccines showing excellent results - including 94% efficiency for 65+ year olds. These will be available to the most needy early next year, and everyone over 60 by March, I would expect. Best of all, it looks increasingly like the vaccine will offer long term protection.

The stability of the immune response suggested that it could offer protection against severe disease in some individuals “for many years”, Shane Crotty, a virologist at the La Jolla Institute of Immunology, who co-led the study, told The NYT.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/ ... 73213.html

The darkest hour is just before dawn.
Jeff Wagg, Communication and Outreach Manager for the James Randi Educational Foundation posted:

"It is my job to inform other JREF employees about people who wish to do the JREF harm, and you [The Atheist] are one of those.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

I am just surprised no one noticed how optimistic Nyarl has become.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Every time Nyar comes back to post I assume things are getting better for him.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

xouper wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:22 pm Nyarlathotep may be more right than he knows. Here's an excerpt:

James Delingpole wrote:
. . . The founder of the World Economic Forum Klaus Schwab has written a book — several books in fact — on his masterplan.

His latest, called Covid-19: The Great Reset, makes no bones about the fact that the chaos of the Coronavirus pandemic represents the perfect opportunity to accelerate the entire world towards a ‘new normal’.
At the time of writing (June 2020), the pandemic continues to worsen globally. Many of us are pondering when things will return to normal. The short response is: never. Nothing will ever return to the ‘broken’ sense of normalcy that prevailed prior to the crisis because the coronavirus pandemic marks a fundamental inflection point in our global trajectory.
Got that? As far as your new globalist overlords are concerned, you are NEVER going to get your old life back, however much you might wish it. Also, be clear: this is being done for your own good because your old way of life was based on a ‘broken’ model.

Such is the author’s conviction that the new normal is what we need and should want, he scarcely bothers to pretend that Chinese coronavirus is anything other than a handy pretext.
Unlike certain past epidemics, COVID-19 doesn’t pose a new existential threat.
Schwab is clear in his book that coronavirus is not so much a crisis as an opportunity to be exploited – a chance to accelerate the birth of the New World Order he calls The Fourth Industrial Revolution.

James Delingpole also points out (source) that both Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada, and Joe Biden are on board with that plan, both having adopted the plan's slogan: "Build Back Better".

And some of you here voted for that.
Errrr, that's some heavy spin, don't you think?

Let's see, here's how he starts:
Build Back Better. This is the slogan of the New World Order – aka the Great Reset.

You hear it often these days intoned — in the manner of dutiful Stepford Wives — by everyone from UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson and the Prince of Wales to Canadian blackface artiste Justin Trudeau and, inevitably, Joe Biden who has adopted it as his campaign slogan.
Ooooh, the infamous New World Order, how scary.
About the only leader you won’t hear using it is Donald Trump because he recognises its true significance. Build Back Better is the code phrase for one of the most terrifying and dangerous, globally co-ordinated assaults on liberty and prosperity in the history of mankind. If the plan succeeds, the world you inhabit will be unrecognisable, your children will have no prospects and your life will barely be worth living. Build Back Better means totalitarian rule by a global, technocratic elite – as constrictive and immiserating as life under fascism or communism. This hideous New World Order is the Great Reset.
You don't think that's laying it on a bit thick? This is what he refers to, apparently:
The Fourth Industrial Revolution, by Klaus Schwab
Ubiquitous, mobile supercomputing. Intelligent robots. Self-driving cars. Neuro-technological brain enhancements. Genetic editing. The evidence of dramatic change is all around us and it’s happening at exponential speed.

Professor Klaus Schwab, Founder and Executive Chairman of the World Economic Forum, has been at the centre of global affairs for over four decades. He is convinced that we are at the beginning of a revolution that is fundamentally changing the way we live, work and relate to one another, which he explores in his new book, The Fourth Industrial Revolution.
Sounds like typical techno-Utopian futurist daydreaming to me. Sure, some of these things may come to pass. I'm not sure why they are all pessimistic developments though. Are you afraid of technological progress? Do you believe that it will make our lives collectively worse, on balance?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Or maybe he just stole the catchphrase from Boris Johnson who has been using it for months.

Possibilities:

A/ Biden wants to destroy America with anti-democracy measures, abandon property rights and money. Mit zer executions.

B/ Dude with history of plagiarising shit from British Politicians....plagiarised shit from a British politician.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

When Biden starts opposing Scottish independence, then we will really be in the shit.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
xouper

Post by xouper »

Anaxagoras wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:50 am Errrr, that's some heavy spin, don't you think?
If your questions are not rhetorical, then I will answer.

No, I do not think Delingpole's editorial is "heavy spin". An example of what I would call "heavy spin" is comparing Trump to Hitler.

Anaxagoras wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:50 am Ooooh, the infamous New World Order, how scary.
While mockery is common practice on this forum, it is not a valid rebuttal to Delingpole's editorial.

Anaxagoras wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:50 am You don't think that's laying it on a bit thick? This is what he refers to, apparently:
The Fourth Industrial Revolution, by Klaus Schwab
Sounds like typical techno-Utopian futurist daydreaming to me. Sure, some of these things may come to pass. I'm not sure why they are all pessimistic developments though.
No, I do not think Delingpole is laying it on a bit thick. That one book is not the only thing Delingpole is referring to. Not even close.

Perhaps you might comment on Klaus's other books referenced by Delingpole?

Anaxagoras wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:50 am Are you afraid of technological progress? Do you believe that it will make our lives collectively worse, on balance?
No.

I am all for technological progress. I have personally contributed to it over the years. Some examples: I helped automate a part of a tire factory in Texas, helped develop some flight simulators for Fedex, helped develop some specialized medical equipment for Abbott Labs in Chicago, helped develop software for the ground breaking LCD cockpit displays in the two YF-22 prototypes, and I literally put some office clerks out of work by developing some office automation for an aviation company in Tampa.

What I am against is the destruction of capitalism and free markets and personal liberties. That's what Delingpole's editorial is about, not technological progress.
xouper

Post by xouper »

Hotarubi wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:25 am B/ Dude with history of plagiarising shit from British Politicians....plagiarised shit from a British politician.
I gotta give credit, that's a good comeback. :bigthumb: