You know how fusion power is always 15 years away?

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Nyarlathotep

Re: You know how fusion power is always 15 years away?

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Fuck

2020 just got even worse
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Hotarubi wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:25 am Or maybe he just stole the catchphrase from Boris Johnson who has been using it for months.
For months you say? Apparently Shinzo Abe used the same slogan back in 2015:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Building_Back_Better
BBB was first officially described in the United Nations' Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction document, which was agreed on at the Third UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction held on March 14–18, 2015, in Sendai, Japan. It was adopted by UN member states as one of four priorities in the Sendai Framework for disaster recovery, risk reduction and sustainable development.[3] The UN General Assembly adopted this document on June 3, 2015.
At the opening speech of the Third UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction, Shinzo Abe, Prime Minister of Japan, stated: "The word of "Build Back Better" sounds like a new concept, but this is common sense to the Japanese people, coming from our historical experiences in recovering from disaster and preparing for the future, and it has become an important part of the culture of Japan."[4]

During the negotiation period for the Sendai Framework, the concept of "Build Back Better" was proposed by the Japanese delegation as a holistic concept which states: "The principle of 'Build Back Better' is generally understood to use the disaster as a trigger to create more resilient nations and societies than before. This was through the implementation of well-balanced disaster risk reduction measures, including physical restoration of infrastructure, revitalization of livelihood and economy/industry, and the restoration of local culture and environment". The concept was fully agreed as one of the most important concepts among each state's delegates and embedded into the Sendai Framework.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

xouper wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:12 am No, I do not think Delingpole is laying it on a bit thick. That one book is not the only thing Delingpole is referring to. Not even close.

Perhaps you might comment on Klaus's other books referenced by Delingpole?
I haven't read any of Klaus's books, so I really cannot comment on them. All I read is that one article describing the book which you linked to.

What I am against is the destruction of capitalism and free markets and personal liberties. That's what Delingpole's editorial is about, not technological progress.
Where do you get the idea that that's what it's all about? Who has called for "the destruction of capitalism and free markets and personal liberties"? :notsure:
William Shakespeare
xouper

Post by xouper »

Anaxagoras wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:09 am
xouper wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:12 am No, I do not think Delingpole is laying it on a bit thick. That one book is not the only thing Delingpole is referring to. Not even close.

Perhaps you might comment on Klaus's other books referenced by Delingpole?
I haven't read any of Klaus's books, so I really cannot comment on them. All I read is that one article describing the book which you linked to.
Delingpole cited several of Klaus's books, not just the one you focused on.

xouper wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:12 am What I am against is the destruction of capitalism and free markets and personal liberties. That's what Delingpole's editorial is about, not technological progress.
Where do you get the idea that that's what it's all about? Who has called for "the destruction of capitalism and free markets and personal liberties"? :notsure:
To answer that, I refer you to Delingpole's two editorials I cited.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

xouper wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:25 am
xouper wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:12 am What I am against is the destruction of capitalism and free markets and personal liberties. That's what Delingpole's editorial is about, not technological progress.
To answer that, I refer you to Delingpole's two editorials I cited.
Well, I'm not really convinced by those editorials. The closest thing I could find was a reference to this:

Welcome to 2030. I own nothing, have no privacy, and life has never been better

The author of this piece, written in 2016, is Ida Auken, a former member of the Danish Parliament. She says she is imagining a possible future.
Author's note: Some people have read this blog as my utopia or dream of the future. It is not. It is a scenario showing where we could be heading - for better and for worse. I wrote this piece to start a discussion about some of the pros and cons of the current technological development. When we are dealing with the future, it is not enough to work with reports. We should start discussions in many new ways. This is the intention with this piece.
The things she describes are rather far-fetched, and would require an economy where there is essentially limitless renewable clean energy and robots and AIs do most of the actual work.
William Shakespeare
xouper

Post by xouper »

Anaxagoras wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:12 am Well, I'm not really convinced by those editorials.
Fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion. Reasonable minds can disagree.
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Doctor X wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:53 pm When Biden starts opposing Scottish independence, then we will really be in the shit.

– J.D.
Does he know where Scotland is?
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Anaxagoras wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:02 am
For months you say? Apparently Shinzo Abe used the same slogan back in 2015:
I'm going to ask a similar question....

The Atheist

Post by The Atheist »

Nyarlathotep wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:09 am Fuck

2020 just got even worse
Nope, the good news just keeps on coming.

We now have vaccines that work at 90-95% effectiveness, and we can reasonably assured that immunity lasts at least six months: https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/busines ... s/2736878/

Covid, in the final analysis, is going to be a massive win for science.

I just hope people recognise that when it happens.
Jeff Wagg, Communication and Outreach Manager for the James Randi Educational Foundation posted:

"It is my job to inform other JREF employees about people who wish to do the JREF harm, and you [The Atheist] are one of those.
gnome

Post by gnome »

Well, it didn't happen in time for Trump to take credit for it before the election, so it was obviously withheld just to spite him and probably is fake anyway and just a ruse to get people to submit to mystery vaccinations just because the government tells you so.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

The Atheist wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:33 pm

2020 just got even worse

We now have vaccines that work at 90-95% effectiveness, and we can reasonably assured that immunity lasts at least six months: https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/busines ... s/2736878/

That particular comment wasn’t referring to Covid.

More one of the people the thread attracted
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

gnome wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:10 pm Well, it didn't happen in time for Trump to take credit for it before the election, so it was obviously withheld just to spite him and probably is fake anyway and just a ruse to get people to submit to mystery vaccinations just because the government tells you so.
I have heard that being seriously claimed. Makes me wonder how many people are in in this massive conspiracy. Every state’s election officials, the entire media, the entire pharmaceutical industry...
xouper

Post by xouper »

Nyarlathotep wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:45 pm

2020 just got even worse

It seems to me I'm the only one in this thread that might fit that description, especially given how much you have complained about me in the past.

So if I'm not welcome here, then please let me know and so I can apologize for ruining your day and then I'll not bother you again.
Witness

Post by Witness »

gnome wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:10 pm Well, it didn't happen in time for Trump to take credit for it before the election, so it was obviously withheld just to spite him and probably is fake anyway and just a ruse to get people to submit to mystery vaccinations just because the government tells you so.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

xouper wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:10 am

2020 just got even worse

It seems to me I'm the only one in this thread that might fit that description, especially given how much you have complained about me in the past.

So if I'm not welcome here, then please let me know and so I can apologize for ruining your day and then I'll not bother you again.
Don't worry about whether or not I want you here. No one wants me here but I come and go as I wish anyway.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

xouper wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:10 am

2020 just got even worse

Nah. It was Biden's knowledge of Scottish independence that sent him into a tailspin.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

He knows. It is where Cornpop's ancestors came from.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Doctor X wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:36 am He knows. It is where Cornpop's ancestors came from.

– J.D.
Wanna see a dog doing a Mel Gibson impression?