The British Food for ed Thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Re: The British Food for ed Thread

Post by Hotarubi »

asthmatic camel wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:34 pm
ed wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:08 pm what are they like? I might get some as a bonus gift for some folks here.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pickled+waln ... _sb_noss_1
They're delicious, (I shit you not), one of the finest pickles money can buy. Perfect on their own or sliced, a delightful addition to any meat sandwich. Opies vinegar is so good that I save it for reuse. :)

Charles Dickens mentioned them in The Pickwick Papers
Charles Dickens in his book The Pickwick Papers, published in 1836. In chapter 49 he writes,

However, there he lay, and I have heard my uncle say, many a time, that the man said who picked him up that he was smiling as merrily as if he had tumbled out for a treat, and that after they had bled him, the first faint glimmerings of returning animation, were his jumping up in bed, bursting out into a loud laugh, kissing the young woman who held the basin, and demanding a mutton chop and a pickled walnut. He was very fond of pickled walnuts, gentlemen. He said he always found that, taken without vinegar, they relished the beer.
Mind you, looking at the price you'd be paying, they'd better be some good friends you're buying for. Over here I can get them for around £2.50 a jar.
Yup ed, they're good. And you're paying over the odds. However , I would suggest you take your nuts with a mean gorgonzola and a robust port.

I'll be ordering from Fortnum and Mason. Quality for quality.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

Hotarubi wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:53 pm
ed wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:08 pm what are they like? I might get some as a bonus gift for some folks here.

They're delicious, (I shit you not), one of the finest pickles money can buy. Perfect on their own or sliced, a delightful addition to any meat sandwich. Opies vinegar is so good that I save it for reuse. :)

Charles Dickens in his book The Pickwick Papers, published in 1836. In chapter 49 he writes,

However, there he lay, and I have heard my uncle say, many a time, that the man said who picked him up that he was smiling as merrily as if he had tumbled out for a treat, and that after they had bled him, the first faint glimmerings of returning animation, were his jumping up in bed, bursting out into a loud laugh, kissing the young woman who held the basin, and demanding a mutton chop and a pickled walnut. He was very fond of pickled walnuts, gentlemen. He said he always found that, taken without vinegar, they relished the beer.
Mind you, looking at the price you'd be paying, they'd better be some good friends you're buying for. Over here I can get them for around £2.50 a jar.
Yup ed, they're good. And you're paying over the odds. However , I would suggest you take your nuts with a mean gorgonzola and a robust port.

Oh Hell yes! My sadly deceased father used to buy a full round of the sweatiest mature stilton he could find at Christmas, dig a whole in the middle and soak it with Cockburn's Vintage port. Most excellent served on Ritz Crackers with a slice of pickled walnut and/or a pickled jalapeño. Probably why he never had any money for decent Christmas presents and may well be the reason I became an alcoholic.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
asthmatic camel

You know, Hotarubi, I recently dug over my garden as Mrs. C. fancied a kitchen garden. (A back-breaking task for a bloke with a slipped disk: left me unable to walk for three weeks but she-who-must-be-obeyed must be obeyed.) I've looked into purchasing a walnut tree and it seems that they'd grow well here. Trouble is they take five years to start producing nuts and I'm not sure I could be arsed picking and pickling them by the time I'm 60, (If I'm still capable), even though I'm far more tight-fisted than ed.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
shemp
Title: inbred shit-for-brains

Post by shemp »

asthmatic camel wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:38 pm Shemp, these delicacies are loved only by gourmands like yours truly and not generally purchased by the hoi polloi. If I'm lucky, the supermarkets have plenty of unsold stock after Christmas and flog them off for about a pound. I still have two jars left from last year's bulk purchase. :)
I'm sure their exquisite flavor and texture would be lost on my pedestrian taste buds like pearls before swine.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"what dicking deep shit i produce" -- pillory

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

People are shitting themselves to death
Crap so much they fail to take a breath
But even when their kids are starvin'
They thought Trump would throw them Charmin.
asthmatic camel

Yeah, I'm sure something like this would suit your plebeian taste buds.

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

asthmatic camel wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:06 pm Yeah, I'm sure something like this would suit your plebeian taste buds.

He's never out of Denny's.

asthmatic camel

I had to Google Denny's but was dismayed to find they operate in my picturesque area, although, thankfully not in Stockport. Blech.

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Yup. In the UK Denny's exists up North and guess where?

You got it.

Wales.

You cannot, cannot sum up Denny's better than that.

asthmatic camel

You dare to insult the land of my fathers, boyo?

We'll soon sort you out...

asthmatic camel

Here, have a proper Welsh breakfast: Bacon, sausage, cockles and laverbread. (It takes a real warrior to stomach laverbread.)

Witness

Post by Witness »

Ah! The "Welsh caviar". :)
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Looks like a burnt turd after a rotten kebab.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

asthmatic camel wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:25 pm Here, have a proper Welsh breakfast: Bacon, sausage, cockles and laverbread. (It takes a real warrior to stomach laverbread.)

Laver is seaweed, right?

I don't know whether it's the same variety but Japanese nori is apparently a kind of laver:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nori

If you ever had rolled sushi, or onigiri it was probably rolled in nori.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
asthmatic camel

Hotarubi wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:35 am Looks like a burnt turd after a rotten kebab.
It's an acquired taste, that's true. ;) Boiled seaweed is for the brave man.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

asthmatic camel wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:20 am
Hotarubi wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:35 am Looks like a burnt turd after a rotten kebab.
Tried it. It tastes like it looks.

asthmatic camel

Hotarubi wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:19 am
asthmatic camel wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:20 am
Tried it. It tastes like it looks.
Tastes like a manky minge but it's highly nutritious. :D
asthmatic camel

Here's the real version of Men of Harlech. And, if ed doesn't fancy Charlotte Church, he's the biggest faggot on SC. (Not, of course...)

ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

asthmatic camel wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:19 pm Here's the real version of Men of Harlech. And, if ed doesn't fancy Charlotte Church, he's the biggest faggot on SC. (Not, of course...)

she is a definitive cutie and does a great job. Liked that song since

Now these are real men, AC, so don't get too excited ... not that etc etc
This space for let
asthmatic camel

You just couldn't allow me a little fun could you, you miserable colonist?

Here, stuff a white pudding right where it belongs. Faggotass.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Flies’ Cemetery

In parts of the UK, because of their appearance, fruit pastry slices with dried fruit inside, are referred to as a Flies’ Cemetery.
:notsure:
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

We used to call spotted dick that as well.

asthmatic camel

Witness wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:43 am
Flies’ Cemetery

In parts of the UK, because of their appearance, fruit pastry slices with dried fruit inside, are referred to as a Flies’ Cemetery.
:notsure:
A cellarman's dread, Witness. The EU Health & Safety people used to insist that they were wiped out professionally by the likes of Rentokil. Institutional and governmental blackmail. Hot water, bleach and fly spray did the job for a fraction of the cost. :x
Last edited by asthmatic camel on Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Witness

Post by Witness »

asthmatic camel wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:59 am fly spy
:?
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Fly spray.

asthmatic camel

Hotarubi wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:21 amFly spray.
I stand corrected. TWVM
Witness

Post by Witness »

£8.40 / 500 g

And they mock the French for eating snails! (Who eat the bigorneaux too, BTW.)
asthmatic camel

FFS, is that a whelk? Even I can't stomach those rubbery fuckers.

I am, however, rather partial to Escargots.
Witness

Post by Witness »

asthmatic camel wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:02 am FFS, is that a whelk? Even I can't stomach those rubbery fuckers.
I think not, whelk is (as per the Internet) Buccinum sp. while the picture is of a (peri)winkle, Littorina. But one never knows with common names…
asthmatic camel wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:02 am I am, however, rather partial to Escargots.
Hera! Hear!

But I'm not a fan.
asthmatic camel

Ah, winkles are a different matter. Delicious with a honey and mustard dip. :)
ed

Post by ed »

Gave a jar to my wife. I am lucky I'm not divorced. Holy shit, it's like eating ... dunno ... horrid horrid.

Jesus Christ, what the fuck are you lot trying to do to me?

OMG, I almost puked <--first time I ever used that word on the interwebs :x :x :x

You should be ashamed.
I am informed that these things should be eaten with Stilton which is one of my favorite things in the iuniverse. I will re-assess tomorrow.
But I am watching you.

BTW ... where are the goddamn walnuts? These things look like pig balls. In that sense they are nuts I suppose.
This space for let
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Some random factors are distinctly plausible:

A/ Something affected your tastebuds immediately before eating such as sucking on a rusty nail, eating toothpaste or soil for examples.

B/ A-C has a much discussed "Northern Palate" and would find a dog turd sandwiched between two random selections from a box of Peek Freans' Luxury biscuit assortment to be the highlight of culinary decadence and you are an idiot to take his advice.

C/ I saw an opportunity to stitch you up.

D/ B & C

Thanks and hugs.

ed

Post by ed »

Shit
This space for let
Witness

Post by Witness »

asthmatic camel

Merry Christmas, my friends. :)

shemp
Title: inbred shit-for-brains

Post by shemp »

Is that Spotted Dick?

Merry Christmas to you too AC!
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"what dicking deep shit i produce" -- pillory

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

People are shitting themselves to death
Crap so much they fail to take a breath
But even when their kids are starvin'
They thought Trump would throw them Charmin.
ed

Post by ed »

Merry mt friends.
This space for let
asthmatic camel

ed wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:21 pm

Gave a jar to my wife. I am lucky I'm not divorced. Holy shit, it's like eating ... dunno ... horrid horrid.

Jesus Christ, what the fuck are you lot trying to do to me?

OMG, I almost puked <--first time I ever used that word on the interwebs :x :x :x

You should be ashamed.
I am informed that these things should be eaten with Stilton which is one of my favorite things in the iuniverse. I will re-assess tomorrow.
But I am watching you.

BTW ... where are the goddamn walnuts? These things look like pig balls. In that sense they are nuts I suppose.
Please give my apologies to Mrs. ed.

I couldn't give much of fuck if you puked your guts up. I am after all an English gentleman. :D
asthmatic camel

shemp wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:55 pm Is that Spotted Dick?

Christmas Pudding. Spotted Dick is close.
asthmatic camel

Here's a Christmas Pudding complete with Kung Flu bat wings...

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

shemp wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:55 pm Is that Spotted Dick?