Question of the Day

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Nyarlathotep

Question of the Day

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Why do some place names get an arbitrary "The" in front of them but others don't. Like "The Bronx" or "The Congo" but not "The Brazil" or "The Maryland"?
xouper
Title: mere ghost of his former self

Re: Question of the Day

Post by xouper »

I never really gave that question much thought until the Ukraine changed their name to just Ukraine.

See for example this story from 2014:
https://time.com/12597/the-ukraine-or-ukraine/

More generally (from 2009):
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2009/10/why-do-we-use-definite-articles-for-some-place-names-like-the-hague.html

I'm not quite satisfied that the second link fully answers the question, though. Seems to me there is still more to the story.

I get the impression, though, that the reason a place name has "the" in it (or not), is specific to each place, and that perhaps there is no general rule, as such.

I could be wrong, of course. That's about all I know at the moment.
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

At one time, it was The Sudan. People then started saying just Sudan. Now the country has split into North Sudan and South Sudan, so there's no longer any worries about the correct form to use.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

xouper wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:06 am I never really gave that question much thought until the Ukraine changed their name to just Ukraine.

See for example this story from 2014:
https://time.com/12597/the-ukraine-or-ukraine/

More generally (from 2009):
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2009/10/why-do-we-use-definite-articles-for-some-place-names-like-the-hague.html

I'm not quite satisfied that the second link fully answers the question, though. Seems to me there is still more to the story.

I get the impression, though, that the reason a place name has "the" in it (or not), is specific to each place, and that perhaps there is no general rule, as such.

I could be wrong, of course. That's about all I know at the moment.
The pattern makes sense, but it still sounds weird to me to call it just “Ukraine” rather than “The Ukraine”
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

ceptimus wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:33 am At one time, it was The Sudan. People then started saying just Sudan. Now the country has split into North Sudan and South Sudan, so there's no longer any worries about the correct form to use.
The name Sudan derives from the Arabic expression bilād al-sūdān (“land of the blacks”).

So, "The Sudan" kinda made sense....type...thing.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
Witness

Post by Witness »

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

I think it is more important to distinguish between when it should be pronounced "thē" and when it should be pronounced "thē."

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

The Bronx was apparently named after the Bronx river, and that in turn was named after the first European settler in the area. If you say "the Mississippi" it means the river, not the state. Same with "the Missouri".

I think it's mostly just a convention.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bronx ... and_naming
The name "Bronx" originated with Swedish-born Jonas Bronck, who established the first settlement in the area as part of the New Netherland colony in 1639.[9][10][11]
Use of definite article[edit]
The Bronx is referred to with the definite article as "The Bronx", both legally[28] and colloquially.[29] The County of Bronx does not place "The" immediately before "Bronx" in formal references, unlike the coextensive Borough of the Bronx, nor does the United States Postal Service in its database of Bronx addresses (the city and state mailing-address format is simply "Bronx, NY").[30] The region was apparently named after the Bronx River and first appeared in the "Annexed District of The Bronx" created in 1874 out of part of Westchester County. It was continued in the "Borough of The Bronx", which included a larger annexation from Westchester County in 1898. The use of the definite article is attributed to the style of referring to rivers.[31][32] A time-worn story explanation for the use of the definite article in the borough's name stems from the phrase "visiting the Broncks", referring to the settler's family.[33]
There really is no general rule to be applied to place names like this, just a particular historical happenstance, and then it becomes a convention.

Mark Zuckerberg originally called his website or company "The Facebook" until someone suggested that he should drop the "The" and just call it "Facebook".

Some languages like Japanese don't really even have a word like "the". Although there are words for "this" and "that".

Human languages are funny like that.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Fid

Post by Fid »

Technically the proper name is "The Home Depot" but I don't think I've ever heard any one use the "The".
... The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

This is tough. I went to The Google but it didn't help.

Another ...
I went to university. vs I went to the university.
The later was all I ever heard up until The Internet.
gnome

Post by gnome »

That, I think is a US/UK thing. Like going to hospital, or going on holiday.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2