Question for gun guys

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Nyarlathotep

Question for gun guys

Post by Nyarlathotep »

What the hell am I looking at here? The place I found it had no answers. How did this happen?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DJ

Re: Question for gun guys

Post by DJ »

I’m pretty sure that’s called a catastrophic failure. I’m sure Ed would have better ideas about what caused it, but a blocked barrel might have done it. I’ve never seen anything like that in all the years I’ve shot handguns, revolvers just like the one pictured included.
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Wowie zowie.

Never saw anything like that, ever.

I have heard of a chamber failing, with respect to Uberti's actually. More than one chamber? And with a Smith and Wesson?

And look at those cases, they are not blow up, they are blown in. If they are crushed, why did the topstrap and chambers rupture?

You have any details Nyarl?
Last edited by ed on Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This space for let
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Not really. Some posted this pic in a writing group asking a few questions about how it could have happened but no details were provided. Writing groups are fonts of weird questions. Turns out the Venn Diagram of writers and gun guys does not have a lot of overlap. I suspect the OP found it somewhere else
ed

Post by ed »

My sources say "handload overload" but I don't see how that crushed adjacent cartridges.
This space for let
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

The oldest version of that image I can find online dates to 2010, posted on a blog with no details.

https://gunfreezone.net/kaboom-across-the-board/
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Same. Most versions of the pic are from "funny" sites. TinEye finds one on the S&W forum, but apparently it has moved. Those who really want to know will have to search it by hand there. :dunno:
ed

Post by ed »

Here's one for you
20201229_195703.jpg
9" 37mm barrel. The idiot put a primed case in then loaded the thing with what is called flashpowder
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_powder

He was trying to "muzzle load".

In effect, he made a pipe bomb.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This space for let
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Cripes
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Someone, who owns a mansion and a yacht, went hunting rabbit.

During duck season, of course.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
ed

Post by ed »

Nyarlathotep wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:10 amCripes
He at least had the "awareness" of something amiss to use a string to pull the trigger. Amazingly, the rest of the launcher was perfectly fine.
This space for let
DJ

Post by DJ »

It’s embarrassing how little I know with relation to how much I thought I knew.
ed

Post by ed »

You know, I could bore you for hours with minutia on this crap. Thing is you could do the same about aluminum siding or whatever you do.
This space for let
robinson2
Title: I can’t be worrying about that

Post by robinson2 »

My stories would not be boring
"This aggression will not stand, man."
ed

Post by ed »

Yes, but yours are completely fabricated.
This space for let
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Dad told us a story about a revolver he had, back in the day. Cylinder wasn't lining up properly. Guy at the shop who fixed guns offered to repair the problem. Guy fixed the gun, then put on a long, thick leather arm protection to test fire the revolver which he'd put in a vise. Sprayed a nice stream of lead back along the leather arm protection. No injuries. The guy fixed the gun again and it tested okay. Tells Dad, "It's fixed, pick it up whenever you want."

Dad: 'Thanks Joe. You keep it."
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

ed wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:48 pm You know, I could bore you for hours with minutia on this crap. Thing is you could do the same about aluminum siding or whatever you do.
This is true. I suppose we all have certain subjects that we can talk about in great detail that will just make other people's eyes glaze over.