First thread about Paul C. Anagnostopoulos

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos

First thread about Paul C. Anagnostopoulos

Post by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos »

Hey all! Hope everyone is doing well.

So, I bet there is no way to increase the text size of this bulletin board, is there? It was obviously never tested by anyone with a high-resolution monitor. Just about unreadable. Or possibly it was tested by an 18-year-old with good eyesight.

Just thought I'd vent.

~~ Paul
Rat

Re: First thread about Paul C. Anagnostopoulos

Post by Rat »

Paul C. Anagnostopoulos wrote:Hey all! Hope everyone is doing well.

So, I bet there is no way to increase the text size of this bulletin board, is there? It was obviously never tested by anyone with a high-resolution monitor. Just about unreadable. Or possibly it was tested by an 18-year-old with good eyesight.

Just thought I'd vent.

~~ Paul
I can resize the text just fine. What browser are you using? Ctrl+Mouse Wheel works for me in Firefox.

Cheers,
Rat.
"Man muß den Menschen vor allem nach seinen Lastern beurteilen. Tugenden können vorgetäuscht sein. Laster sind echt." - Klaus Kinski

UKLS 1988-?
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos

I'm using Internet Explorer. View | Text Size does nothing.

~~ Paul
Rat

Post by Rat »

Having tried in IE, you do seem to be right. There's a lesson to be learned there, then. Well, two, in fact

Cheers,
Rat.
"Man muß den Menschen vor allem nach seinen Lastern beurteilen. Tugenden können vorgetäuscht sein. Laster sind echt." - Klaus Kinski

UKLS 1988-?
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos

Let's see . . . I can adjust the text size of this forum in Mozilla . . . I can adjust the text size of the JREF forum with Explorer.

So the lesson . . . It's possible to design a bulletin board application so it doesn't work with the most popular browser?

~~ Paul
Rat

Post by Rat »

Yes I was being sarcastic. The first being that Firefox does things properly. The second being that people should indeed build and test their sites for a variety of browsers. Many people like IE, of course, but many people don't like it but are nonetheless forced to use it at work.

Cheers,
Rat.

UKLS 1988-?
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos

Should I check out Firefox? What's it got going for itself?

~~ Paul
Rat

Post by Rat »

Well it took me a while to get into it. I'm sure you know the basics of it. It's open-source, and derived (sort of) from Mozilla. It comes in a basic form, but with all you'll need. Any other facilities can be downloaded as extensions. So, for example, I have a toolbar extension loaded that will outline elements, validate code and similar things. Most people just browsing will have no need of these facilities, so they come separately as an extension.

Apart from that, there's tabbed browsing. Like in Opera. It's something that some people just don't get, or don't see the point of, but I couldn't now live without it. It means I can have JREF open in one tab, my webmail open in another, and any others as I see fit. If someone includes a link in a post, but I want to continue reading the thread, I can middle-click it to open it in a new tab, and go to it when ready.

Give it a go for a week or two and see if you like it. Most do, but I've come across a couple of people who hate it.

Cheers,
Rat.

UKLS 1988-?
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

I use Firefox, and it works most of the time, except that whenever I print from the web, it shrinks the page to a quarter of the size - doesn't happen in Galeon, so I assume the fault is with Firefox.

Also, when I have a lot of windows open, sometimes, I lost the ability to type, or the cursor keys stop working, until I go through a complicated cycle of minimising and reopening windows and stuff.

But maybe those are all Linux problems, rather than Firefox problems (it's the only program that does it to me, though).
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert"
Darat

Post by Darat »

JamesM wrote:I use Firefox, and it works most of the time, except that whenever I print from the web, it shrinks the page to a quarter of the size - doesn't happen in Galeon, so I assume the fault is with Firefox.

Also, when I have a lot of windows open, sometimes, I lost the ability to type, or the cursor keys stop working, until I go through a complicated cycle of minimising and reopening windows and stuff.

But maybe those are all Linux problems, rather than Firefox problems (it's the only program that does it to me, though).
The keyboard bug happens in the Window version as well.

By the way anyone know how to make Firefox always open a new tab, for instance I'll get a few email notiifications from the forum and when I was using OPERA (7.5 is as buggy as hell for me - actually crashes :( ) it would open them each in a new tab. Firefox opens them in the same tab so I can only open one page at a time.
Rat

Post by Rat »

Always open a new tab each time you click on a link, you mean? Middle-click works fine for me. I'm not sure if this is something I set up in options, or is default behaviour.

As for the keyboard bug, I have Firefox open for days at a time with many tabs open. I also have plenty of other apps opening and closing for various things, and this has never happened to me.

On the other hand, my KVM switch at work will occasionally stop the mouse working when switching from machine B to machine A. What's that all about?

Cheers,
Rat.

UKLS 1988-?