I registered on JREF with a false name

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

Doctor X wrote:Oh, I can understand the emotional attachment. People spend a lot of time reading, writing, socializing. Then things change.

This situation has a greater potential for emotional attachment since it involves subjects people feel very strongly about, AND it provided the opportunity to contribute in ways beyond simply "reading and writing."

--J.D.
I have no idea if a serious reply will go anywhere, but my objection is to the fact that they've run off the young, enthustiastic folks.

Face it, for the most part, skeptics are grumpy old white men. Yes, there are female skeptics (heard a great talk by one last month), young skeptics, skeptics of other races (I am, after all, married to one) etc, but the predominant group is old white men.

In order to be effective, we need to diversify. A lot. Running off the young and enthusiastic is just * D * U * M * B *

Especially when it's over an issue wherein the identity of at least most of those run off is not the real issue, it's a question of some kind of "thou must conform".

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Remember xouper, this topic is not about you.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

xouper

Re: I registered on JREF with a false name

Post by xouper »

jj: You didn't start it, but you've tried several times to finish it.

xouper: I take that as a retraction of your original claim that I had a huge part in creating it.

jj: You may not. The two statements are not mutually exclusive.
Sheesh. You say I didn't start it but that I had a huge part in creating it? Sounds to me like you contradict yourself. The words "create" and "start" mean the same thing.

The fact is, I came to the party long after the fire was well burning. I did not create the fire nor was the fire created in any way as a result of anything I did or did not do. If not for the JREF forum managment screw-up, there wouldn't be anything for me to pour oil on.

xouper

Post by xouper »

jj wrote:
Doctor X wrote:Oh, I can understand the emotional attachment. People spend a lot of time reading, writing, socializing. Then things change.

This situation has a greater potential for emotional attachment since it involves subjects people feel very strongly about, AND it provided the opportunity to contribute in ways beyond simply "reading and writing."

--J.D.
I have no idea if a serious reply will go anywhere, but my objection is to the fact that they've run off the young, enthustiastic folks.

Face it, for the most part, skeptics are grumpy old white men. Yes, there are female skeptics (heard a great talk by one last month), young skeptics, skeptics of other races (I am, after all, married to one) etc, but the predominant group is old white men.

In order to be effective, we need to diversify. A lot. Running off the young and enthusiastic is just * D * U * M * B *

Especially when it's over an issue wherein the identity of at least most of those run off is not the real issue, it's a question of some kind of "thou must conform".
Shall I pass you another can of oil to pour on the fire? :lol: :lol:

En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

xouper wrote:Sheesh. You say I didn't start it but that I had a huge part in creating it? Sounds to me like you contradict yourself. The words "create" and "start" mean the same thing.

The fact is, I came to the party long after the fire was well burning. I did not create the fire nor was the fire created in any way as a result of anything I did or did not do. If not for the JREF forum managment screw-up, there wouldn't be anything for me to pour oil on.
I think we're quibbling over semantics. That which is created is the whole of it, and in that, and in how big it all grew, you had a large part, at least by my estimation. Hardly the only part, we could certainly win by naming some others, eh, but a large part.

No, you didn't start it. You just threw on the gasoline, the match, and then poured LOX over the conflageration. But no, you didn't start it.

Look, I'm not trying to be insulting, I'm telling you what I think I saw.

The fact I say this about you, of course, does not make you the only culprit.

Whoever it was said that they still don't understand the net nailed it.

En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

xouper wrote:
jj wrote:

--J.D.

Shall I pass you another can of oil to pour on the fire? :lol: :lol:
Well, it's not intentionally inflamatory and it certainly describes how I evaluate the situation.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

How peculiar. . . .

--J. "A Dead Man with Wants?!" D.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

xouper

Post by xouper »

jj: ... Running off the young and enthusiastic is just * D * U * M * B *

... it's a question of some kind of "thou must conform".

xouper: Shall I pass you another can of oil to pour on the fire? :lol: :lol:

jj: Well, it's not intentionally inflamatory and it certainly describes how I evaluate the situation.
I see. :roll:

xouper

Post by xouper »

jj: No, you didn't start it. You just threw on the gasoline, the match, and then poured LOX over the conflageration. But no, you didn't start it.
I quite think you're getting the hang of this hyperbole thing.

Walter_Wayne

Post by Walter_Wayne »

Xouper started the fire? Xouper argued with that the censorship inposed was illogical and often counter-productive. How many people actually tried to refute his arguments. The majority of the responses lacked a counter argument and he got a number of "well if you don't like it you don't have to post" responses. They continued even after he stated clearly why he wasn't going to leave it, even if he didn't love it.

You can accuse xouper of showing his frustration when he had to deal with so many useless responses. But I find it hard to fault him for that when so many others get exasperated in similar situations.

But if you are looking for fire starters, look at the number of people who joined the topic with nothing other than love it or leave it, or posted only a "your wrong" with nothing behind it. To pretend that one side is responsible for the atmosphere surrounding admin threads is ridiculous. A mob with pitch forks and torches shouldn't blame others for the fire.

Walt

En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

xouper wrote:
jj: ... Running off the young and enthusiastic is just * D * U * M * B *

... it's a question of some kind of "thou must conform".

xouper: Shall I pass you another can of oil to pour on the fire? :lol: :lol:

jj: Well, it's not intentionally inflamatory and it certainly describes how I evaluate the situation.
I see. :roll:
I don't think you've quite seen me pour hexane on the fire, Xouper, I don't. Not likely to, either, I'm too good at it when I do get around to it.

En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

xouper wrote:
jj: No, you didn't start it. You just threw on the gasoline, the match, and then poured LOX over the conflageration. But no, you didn't start it.
I quite think you're getting the hang of this hyperbole thing.
It's a simile...

Like it or not, that's how I see it.

Also, like I said, you had help.

En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

Walter_Wayne wrote:Xouper started the fire?
I presume that's directed at someone who holds that position, not I?

Or do people just read the propaganda put out by others and accept it as what I said?

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Walter_Wayne wrote:Xouper started the fire? Xouper argued with that the censorship inposed was illogical and often counter-productive.
So . . . whom should we blame instead? Hal?

Clinton?

--J.D.

P.S. It is an understandable "blame the victim" attitude taken by Sycophants in the hope they will not become victims one day.

En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

Doctor X wrote:[P.S. It is an understandable "blame the victim" attitude taken by Sycophants in the hope they will not become victims one day.
Doctor X's daffynition of "Sycophant": Someone who dares to disagree with his ex-cathedra position.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

. . . that and Sycophants who hope to become Moderators THERE one day. . . .

--J. "The CD Spins and We Begin, All Systems Go!" D.

Nabeshin

Post by Nabeshin »

I'm [i]Nabeshin.[/i] Don't mind me!

[img]http://skepticalcommunity.com/phpbb2/uploads/forum-bagel.gif[/img]

En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

Doctor X wrote:. . . that and Sycophants who hope to become Moderators THERE one day. . . .

--J. "The CD Spins and We Begin, All Systems Go!" D.
Who would that be? I know somebody who's turned the job down.

CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME »

jj wrote:
Considering current circumstances, I thought it the right thing to do.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

CHARLEY_BIGTIME wrote:
jj wrote:
Considering current circumstances, I thought it the right thing to do.
So you still have principals? You mean you do not go from forum to forum denouncing and supporting them in turn to curry sympathy and favor? There may be hope for you yet, Charles.

However, about the goat. . . .

--J. "Come Hitch a Ride and Watch . . . the . . . Moon Grow!" D.