Image fakery

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Image fakery

Post by Pyrrho » Fri May 10, 2019 11:09 pm

Today's entry:

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: Image fakery

Post by Pyrrho » Sun May 19, 2019 8:47 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon May 20, 2019 3:09 am

All images are somehow fake.

Re. stock photos, one of my gripes is the way they are used by those lazy journos to "illustrate" an article. Example: even when the text itself is pro-vaccination, a lot of press articles show something more or less scary (the BBC recently had a swell picture of a little girl literally terrorized by a ginormous syringe; judging from my recent inoculation, that's not how things happen).

Which is not innocent either, even if done unconsciously.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon May 20, 2019 4:02 am

When I was a little kid (2 to 4ish) I too was genuinely terrified of getting a shot (or a finger prick, which they used to draw blood at the time). I think the syringes they use nowadays are smaller and also probably hurt less than in the early 70s. I think that was before single-use syringes became the norm. But yeah, a photo like that one probably isn't helpful.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare