Mobile...

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
DrMatt
BANNED

Mobile...

Post by DrMatt »

The latest spam to make it through the multilayered filters to one of my mailboxes has interesting characteristics.

Return-Path: <pugilant@hopdoanh.com>
[Internal routing headers suppressed]
X-Sieve: CMU Sieve 2.2
Received: FROM localhost (Unknown [12.159.168.172]) BY jeffrey.mr.itd.umich.edu ID 45CF08EA.52703.2610 ; 11 Feb 2007 07:15:38 -0500
Message-ID: <000001c74dd5$b1d13880$0100007f@localhost>
To: [suppressed]
Subject: Vista, MS Office & Acrobat 8 79$ at Anita's supersoft
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 07:30:33 -0500
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook, Build 10.0.3416
Importance: Normal
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.150

12.159.168.172 appears to be an A T & T line leased by Marriott Hotel at Baltimore-Washington International Airport. If the sender is a guest who paid a couple dollars to connect, create a throwaway e-mail account, and use it to spam a few hundred thousand people, that guest might have checked out and flown to another country by the time I sent Marrriott the abuse report this morning, 40 minutes after the mail transfer event.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

If he used the phone in his room, they'll have a record of it. Not that it will do any good.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

IF ISPs started charging each other for spam, and the sending ISP thus had a financial stake in charging the sending customer for spam, this sort of thing would shut down fairly quickly. Suppose our Marriott guest made a throwaway account and sent out one hundred thousand spams using a script for MS Outlook that he downloaded from a website. At $500 per spam, that' be fifty million US dollars, enough to justify going to the FBI to try to get the sender's assets frozen. The sender has enough resources to have a credit card with which to pay for hotel-based e-mail. If that card belongs to a corporation, that corporation's assets could be frozen. In this case, it should be fairly straightforward to find the real owner of what the message calls "Anita's Superstore", a group likely to be liable for a number of other crimes including tax evasion and intellectual-property thefts.

Estimated likelyhood of that happening, 0.0001. Congress has repeatedly been bought by spammers, for whom buying Congress is cheaper than paying for their own advertising.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

DrMatt wrote:IF ISPs started charging each other for spam, and the sending ISP thus had a financial stake in charging the sending customer for spam, this sort of thing would shut down fairly quickly. Suppose our Marriott guest made a throwaway account and sent out one hundred thousand spams using a script for MS Outlook that he downloaded from a website. At $500 per spam, that' be fifty million US dollars, enough to justify going to the FBI to try to get the sender's assets frozen. The sender has enough resources to have a credit card with which to pay for hotel-based e-mail. If that card belongs to a corporation, that corporation's assets could be frozen. In this case, it should be fairly straightforward to find the real owner of what the message calls "Anita's Superstore", a group likely to be liable for a number of other crimes including tax evasion and intellectual-property thefts.

Estimated likelyhood of that happening, 0.0001. Congress has repeatedly been bought by spammers, for whom buying Congress is cheaper than paying for their own advertising.
Not to be argumentitve but suppose the guy is a foreign national?

I also suspect that the card is stolen.
About that stereo

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

Actually I suspect the guy is Alaskan... but indeed, international intelligence and Interpol may be the right place for stuff like that. Foreign nationals who are caught shoving advertising costs off on innocent bystanders ought to be subject to the same effects as foreign nationals caught counterfeiting currency or such.

Geni

Post by Geni »

Or his computer has been hacked and he has no idea what is going on.