When license plates attack (snopes)

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

When license plates attack (snopes)

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

The hazard of trying to be cute on your license plate:
http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/noplate.asp?print=y
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

whitefork
Title: Nearly Normal
Location: I live in Trafalgar Square with four lions to guard me.

Post by whitefork »

Good one. Back when I was programming for the DMV here, there was an increasing slowdown in response time in entering moving violations from California. Turns out that record on the database was indexed by the driver's license ID (not the plate number) and state, and the the California license had a string of characters on it that LOOKED like the ID, but was in reality the form number of the license. There were several thousand duplicates and the addition of each new one to the chain cause the response time to increase geometrically.

They had to go to the California DMV and get the real license numbers and correct the records programmatically.

Another legend had to do with the old punch card you'd get with the phone bill. Story is a guy was getting screwed by the phone company so he took the card to his trusty keypunch machine and put /* in the first two columns. This is the end-of-file marker for IBM systems, and it caused the nightly billing cycle to terminate prematurely when it hit his card. Several lawsuits later....

But, probably not true. Still....
If it's good enough for Nelson, it's quite good enough for me.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Doctor Mabuse wrote: Another legend had to do with the old punch card you'd get with the phone bill. Story is a guy was getting screwed by the phone company so he took the card to his trusty keypunch machine and put /* in the first two columns. This is the end-of-file marker for IBM systems, and it caused the nightly billing cycle to terminate prematurely when it hit his card. Several lawsuits later....

But, probably not true. Still....
Oooh! I'm an old fart IT guy. I WANT it to be true.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.