USA is #1

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Morticia

USA is #1

Post by Morticia »

It's not factually supported by nearly every single measure.

So why this perpetuation of the myth of USA is #1 even in the face of facts?

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: USA is #1

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

You're too late.

Bearguin already proved that Canada is number one.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Bearguin
Title: Thankless Bastard!

Post by Bearguin »

Do I mention now that, while Canada is still in the lead, they lost to the US last night??????

eli54

Post by eli54 »

Wow. I didn't even know we were at war with Canada.
Nascar is popular because any moderately sentient idiot can drive a car.

www.rotax.net

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Morticia wrote:It's not factually supported by nearly every single measure.

I think most Americans (with some notable exceptions) know that it is just patriotic hyperbole. Which most countries are prone to. I take it you are Australian, I doubt when you talk about Australia your comments boil down to 'I come from Australia and let me tell you, IT SUCKS DOWN HERE!!!1!!'. My guess is that if I were to open a thread titled 'Why Australia is a stinking fetid hellhole', the Aussies contigent of this board would soon be seeking to set me straight of any misconceptions I had. Americans are the same way, ther are just more of us.

I think most (not all by a long shot, but a healthy majority of) people who do not live in an area plagued by famine or civil war or any other blatantly nasty thing, like wherever they call home. Meaning not only the part of the country they live in, but the country as a whole. Those that don't tend to move somewhere more to their liking.

En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

Well, right now, I think the world thinks we're #2.
Formerly jj, the enemy of the people, aka the bullies who rant and lie here.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

jj wrote:

Channeling the "world" are we?

You mean we are no longer The Great Satan<sup>TM</sup> -- Number one in infidel wealth and power, pending the arrival of your buddy, the Mahdi.

Who is number one? Hint: Muhammad is His prophet.

Morticia

Post by Morticia »

Nyarlathotep wrote:

I think most Americans (with some notable exceptions) know that it is just patriotic hyperbole. Which most countries are prone to. I take it you are Australian, I doubt when you talk about Australia your comments boil down to 'I come from Australia and let me tell you, IT SUCKS DOWN HERE!!!1!!'. My guess is that if I were to open a thread titled 'Why Australia is a stinking fetid hellhole', the Aussies contigent of this board would soon be seeking to set me straight of any misconceptions I had. Americans are the same way, ther are just more of us.

I think most (not all by a long shot, but a healthy majority of) people who do not live in an area plagued by famine or civil war or any other blatantly nasty thing, like wherever they call home. Meaning not only the part of the country they live in, but the country as a whole. Those that don't tend to move somewhere more to their liking.

There is a difference between patriotism, the love of ones country, and nationalism, comparing ones country to other countries.

In my travels I've found that everyone loves their country, regardless of the events that are happening there. Everyone also wants their country to prosper , to be at be at peace and to have a good future.

It's the norm to understand that your home country is not perfect. But that doesn't mean that people love their country less. And I have many times written or spoken about aspects of Aussie culture and history that suck. It doesn't make me less of an Aussie nor show that I love my country less.

So, in conclusion, it's not american patriotism that I'm writing about, but american nationalism and the desire to appear to be 'leaders' or the best. Why is it so important?

Why isn't being the best you can be, rather than the best, good enough for americans?

izittrue

Post by izittrue »

Who is number one?
Hertz?
Will Rogers -
- Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip

En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
jj wrote:

Channeling the "world" are we?

You mean we are no longer The Great Satan<sup>TM</sup> -- Number one in infidel wealth and power, pending the arrival of your buddy, the Mahdi.

Who is number one? Hint: Muhammad is His prophet.
Is there some reason you choose to lie about what I said, and then tee off fraudulently on the lie you told?

Yeah, probably. You're an a**hole.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Morticia wrote:

There is a difference between patriotism, the love of ones country, and nationalism, comparing ones country to other countries.

In my travels I've found that everyone loves their country, regardless of the events that are happening there. Everyone also wants their country to prosper , to be at be at peace and to have a good future.

It's the norm to understand that your home country is not perfect. But that doesn't mean that people love their country less. And I have many times written or spoken about aspects of Aussie culture and history that suck. It doesn't make me less of an Aussie nor show that I love my country less.

So, in conclusion, it's not american patriotism that I'm writing about, but american nationalism and the desire to appear to be 'leaders' or the best. Why is it so important?

Why isn't being the best you can be, rather than the best, good enough for americans?
I think you take the '#1' thing too literally. I occasionally see cars around town, whenever the local high school has had or is having an athletic event of some kind, that say 'Carson Senators #1!'. I don't think the people decorating the cars actually think that our little one-horse town somehow magically produced the absolute best football/basketball/whatever team to walk the planet. It's just a saying to show support. Saying 'America is #1' is just a lot catchier than saying 'America: We aren't half bad when you get right down to it'

Oh, and I think most Americans will admit their country as flaws. They won't agree, necessarily, on what those flaws are, but they will agree there are flaws. Though a few (i.e. those morons in Congress and our craptastic public education sysytem) will get nearly universal acknowledgement. Same as you.

As for why we seem to want to be a leader or 'the best' as opposed to merely good enough, well why does anyone want to be the best at anything. Answer that and you've answered your other question as well.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

jj wrote:Yeah, probably. You're an a**hole.

What's with the asterisks? :LOL2:

En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
jj wrote:Yeah, probably. You're an a**hole.

What's with the asterisks? :LOL2:
Because I'm not.

It's only words, but every time you open your mouth, err, keyboard, your base hyper-aggressive, antisocial nature spills out.

Now, let's see some evidences, Carlos. Where did I claim to channel anything, Carlos?

gnome

Post by gnome »

Hey... America is #1 because we have freedom! And Football! And we invented Rock & Roll music! And we bailed everyone out in two world wars! You think your little pipsqueak countries can match up to us? Care to come get an ass kicking trying to prove it?

O'Doyle RULES!!!!

hardly necessary, but just in case...

</sarcasm>
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Morticia

Post by Morticia »

gnome wrote:Hey... America is #1 because we have freedom! And Football! And we invented Rock & Roll music! And we bailed everyone out in two world wars! You think your little pipsqueak countries can match up to us? Care to come get an ass kicking trying to prove it?

O'Doyle RULES!!!!

</sarcasm>
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I love gnomes.

In answer to AA, lots of people the world over have that "I have to be the best therefore I am the best" personal attitude, but I can't think of another country other than France that has the attitude..

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Morticia wrote:
gnome wrote:Hey... America is #1 because we have freedom! And Football! And we invented Rock & Roll music! And we bailed everyone out in two world wars! You think your little pipsqueak countries can match up to us? Care to come get an ass kicking trying to prove it?

O'Doyle RULES!!!!

</sarcasm>

I love gnomes.

In answer to AA, lots of people the world over have that "I have to be the best therefore I am the best" personal attitude, but I can't think of another country other than France that has the attitude..
US is currently the only super power, so technically we are #1.

Morticia

Post by Morticia »

Grammatron wrote:
Morticia wrote:

O'Doyle RULES!!!!

</sarcasm>

I love gnomes.

US is currently the only super power, so technically we are #1.
That is your measure. Others who have different standards of what is important would disagree.

Also, it doesn't take much to have the biggest gun, all it takes is diverting your money away from other things.

The old swords and ploughshares argument.

That other people choose ploughshares over guns doesn't make them less. In fact a lot of people would say it makes them no #1.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Morticia wrote: That is your measure. Others who have different standards of what is important would disagree.

Also, it doesn't take much to have the biggest gun, all it takes is diverting your money away from other things.

The old swords and ploughshares argument.

That other people choose ploughshares over guns doesn't make them less. In fact a lot of people would say it makes them no #1.
We also have #1 Economy.

Are we #1 in everything? No, of course not. But we are #1 in some things and that is factual which disproves your OP.

Morticia

Post by Morticia »

How does one measure the 'economy"? By exchange rate, quality of life, trade balance, infant mortality, etc etc?

But that's not the point I'm trying to make.

Why are Americans pretty much the only ones to belief such a myth about their own country?

Could it stem from their revolutionary background, much the same as France?

gnome

Post by gnome »

Morticia wrote:How does one measure the 'economy"? By exchange rate, quality of life, trade balance, infant mortality, etc etc?

But that's not the point I'm trying to make.

Why are Americans pretty much the only ones to belief such a myth about their own country?

Could it stem from their revolutionary background, much the same as France?
One measures the economy by assessing the wealth of the upper sector stakeholders, duh!
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2