USA is #1

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
izittrue

Post by izittrue »

i thought we measured by height
Will Rogers -
- Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip

Bearguin
Title: Thankless Bastard!

Post by Bearguin »

izittrue wrote:i thought we measured by height
Canada's bigger and we're on top.

If this was prison, you'd be our bitch.

izittrue

Post by izittrue »

Bearguin wrote: Canada's bigger and we're on top.

If this was prison, you'd be our bitch.
can i make that phone call?
Will Rogers -
- Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Morticia wrote:How does one measure the 'economy"? By exchange rate, quality of life, trade balance, infant mortality, etc etc?
How do you measure Economy?
But that's not the point I'm trying to make.

Why are Americans pretty much the only ones to belief such a myth about their own country?

Could it stem from their revolutionary background, much the same as France?
What myth?

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: USA is #1

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

jj wrote:Now, let's see some evidences, Carlos. Where did I claim to channel anything, Carlos?
I didn't lie about what you said. I quoted you without excerpting or modification.

Then I offered my interpretation.

If you can channel the "world", I can channel "you".
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

culture.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Morticia

Post by Morticia »

Here in Detroit nationalism isn't as big as I've seen elsewhere. Maybe it's a white culture thing. ;)

Thanks to AA and Dr matt for your posts, you have given me something to think about.

:)

En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
jj wrote:Now, let's see some evidences, Carlos. Where did I claim to channel anything, Carlos?
I didn't lie about what you said. I quoted you without excerpting or modification.

Then I offered my interpretation.

If you can channel the "world", I can channel "you".
And another lie, contained in a claim to facts not in evidence. You're exposed again.

a**hole.
Formerly jj, the enemy of the people, aka the bullies who rant and lie here.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

Morticia wrote:Here in Detroit nationalism isn't as big as I've seen elsewhere. Maybe it's a white culture thing. ;)

Thanks to AA and Dr matt for your posts, you have given me something to think about.

:)
Glad to be of service :) Heck of a bit of weather, I'm not looking forward to facing it on 696.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

jj wrote:a**hole.
Image Image
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

clarsct

Post by clarsct »

Abdul, jj, GO TO YOUR ROOM!

Anyway...

Well, yeah. People take pride in America. Why do people think any baseball team is the tops? Et cetera.

People fought and died to make America what it is today. WHen you know your family was involved in things like the Civil War, WW1 and WW2...well...it creates a connection.

America is certainly #1 is many respects. I don't think it is all mythos. The Spartans thought they were #1, as well. And in some respects, they were. So did the Athenians, Phoenicians, et cetera.

Is nationalism a bad thing?
When Religion becomes State, and breaking the Law becomes a Sin, then Dissenters will become Heretics.

"Reading other people's opinions is a good way to avoid thinking." --My Wife

En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

clarsct wrote:Abdul, jj, GO TO YOUR ROOM!

Anyway...

Well, yeah. People take pride in America. Why do people think any baseball team is the tops? Et cetera.

People fought and died to make America what it is today. WHen you know your family was involved in things like the Civil War, WW1 and WW2...well...it creates a connection.

America is certainly #1 is many respects. I don't think it is all mythos. The Spartans thought they were #1, as well. And in some respects, they were. So did the Athenians, Phoenicians, et cetera.

Is nationalism a bad thing?
Depends entirely on the extent it reaches. Nationalism can be a very bad thing, or a very good thing.

Yeah, my family was in the Civil War, but the West Virginia and Pennsylvania branches don't like to admit it. (and I'm from that branch)

Btw, I didn't start this, Abdul decided to butt in and be a jerk.
Formerly jj, the enemy of the people, aka the bullies who rant and lie here.

clarsct

Post by clarsct »

/Father Voice/ I don't care WHO started it, I'll damned well FINISH it!!/Father Voice/

Sorry...I feel dizzy...was channeling there for a sec.

Some nationalism is healthy. Nationalism in a '1930's Germany' sort of way is probably extreme. Like anything else, Extremism causes problems.

I would be more worried if Americans weren't nationalistic in their views.
When Religion becomes State, and breaking the Law becomes a Sin, then Dissenters will become Heretics.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

jj wrote:
Yeah, my family was in the Civil War, but the West Virginia and Pennsylvania branches don't like to admit it. (and I'm from that branch)
Ya know, I know people like that who are proud or ashamed of the deeds of distant ancestors. It never made sense to me. I can understand being curious, or wanting to know or having the reaction that one either hopes one would act so heroicly or would not act so evilly. BUt to get all emotionally invested in those acts, seems really illogical.

In one of my family branches, I have family members who rode with Confederate marauders in Missouri during the Civil War. They may well have taken part in some atrocious things, but I just can't get worked up enough about it to regard it as anything more than a curious artifact of my heritage, as opposed to a mark of shame or anything like that.

clarsct

Post by clarsct »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
jj wrote:
Ya know, I know people like that who are proud or ashamed of the deeds of distant ancestors. It never made sense to me. I can understand being curious, or wanting to know or having the reaction that one either hopes one would act so heroicly or would not act so evilly. BUt to get all emotionally invested in those acts, seems really illogical.

In one of my family branches, I have family members who rode with Confederate marauders in Missouri during the Civil War. They may well have taken part in some atrocious things, but I just can't get worked up enough about it to regard it as anythingmore than a curious artifact of my heritage.
Your family and my family may have ridden together.. :wink:

I can't say I am emotionally invested in my heritage, but I do like knowing such things, for some reason. Gives roots...a sense of belonging, maybe. I imagine it's a tribal thing dredged up from our gene pool.

gnome

Post by gnome »

Nationalism inspires a competitive urge that is probably healthy and productive.

However, I can see where it can go wrong, if it goes so far as to create a general feeling that the well-being or prosperity of one's own nation is automatically of greater importance than the interests of other nations, or of the collective interests of humanity as a whole.

Which is not to say that we should put other nations first... or that we should not attach any importance to our own nation's relative prosperity... But there should be a healthy balance struck and excessive nationalism may upset that balance.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Morticia

Post by Morticia »

Loving ones country and wanting the best for it isn't nationalism, it's patriotism.

Measuring ones country by other countries is nationalism.

Someone wrote above that the US is the no#1 superpower.

Would it still be the only superpower if other equivalent countries of equal wealth spent their money on guns instead of schools and hospitals and infrastructure?

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Morticia wrote:
Would it still be the only superpower if other equivalent countries of equal wealth spent their money on guns instead of schools and hospitals and infrastructure?
You presume we lack schools, hospitals and infrastructure.

Morticia

Post by Morticia »

I'm not presuming much. Just look at the statistics.

I think AA and Dr M had it down. It's to do with the personality of the believer, culture and cultural mores.

People in other countries who have superiority complexes choose something else to be superior about. Like culture for instance, or history etc etc And of course not everyone here is like that.

gnome

Post by gnome »

Morticia wrote:Loving ones country and wanting the best for it isn't nationalism, it's patriotism.

Measuring ones country by other countries is nationalism.

Someone wrote above that the US is the no#1 superpower.

Not that such a society wouldn't be admirable... or even arguably better places to live... but I think that you would be looking for another term than "Superpower"... since "power" would definitely be lacking.

To me the idea of "Greatness" must by necessity include not only great prosperity, but the military strength to reliably defend it against aggressive rivals. Helps also if that prosperity reaches the masses in some way, and the people are not slaves of the state.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2