Help me catagorize this scam

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
swellman

Help me catagorize this scam

Post by swellman »

I got this in my inbox on Thursday. And my cell phone started simultaneously getting 20 calls a day from unknown or restricted numbers, with a few country code "44" calls thrown in for spice. It seems to be a scam of the worst order, but what's it called?

And how do I get rid of the annoying cell phone calls? These fuckers are calling me at 4AM!

I made the edits in italics for obvious reasons, all other typos are original. And pathetic.

Hello Sir, am barrister Scott Richards the 2ND from Scott Richards and Associates Newfoundland House, 4 Regent Street Teignmouth, United Kingdom. Am contacting you directly based on some important information I recently stumbled across. My father, late Richard Scott the 1st who was a legal luminary and personal attorney to late [a bad spelling of my deceased grandpa's name], left behind some important document regarding a certain lodgement made in a Security Company some where in Ghana, west Africa. The content is stated as valuables and the Next of Kin to the consignment were [a bad spelling of my deceased father's name] his son (which I just found out died in [19xx]) and [swellman] his grandson .
On my search, I found your contact detail and will like to know if you are in any way related to the above person(s). If you are I will need some proof because it was stated that the consignment must be given to [another bad spelling of my dad's name] or [swellman], please note that why I need for you to proof your identity is because late [another version of grandpa's name] stated that his son or grand son should be the Next of kin to the consignment and not allow any other family member to be informed or involved.
I await your response and will appreciate it if you are not in anyway related to the above name(s), to withdraw and not disclose any information to any person(s) for security reasons, thank you.
Yours in Service
Barr. Scott Richards

Dear Clients
I am presnetly very busy now, am sorry that i cannot attend to you emails almost immedaitely, but i want to assure you that once am less busy i'll get back to you.

Yours in Service

Scott Richards

Scott Richards & Associates

ck

Post by ck »

Any chance of getting full headers with this? Blot out your own information if you want, this is what I do.

This is your basic Next of Kin/Inheritance 419 and it is a very common modality used by lads. Basically before your "inheritance" can be released, there will be "fees" to pay, usually requested via Western Union or Money Gram.

Go to 419eater and you will see just how common this particular scam is. I get these kinds of scam emails, with the same modality, in my catcher account on a daily basis, and I by no means am the only one.

swellman

Post by swellman »

Received: from web28015.mail.ukl.yahoo.com ([217.146.182.120])
by rwcrmxc21.comcast.net (rwcrmxc21) with SMTP
id <20070816132120r2100cpulke>; Thu, 16 Aug 2007 13:21:21 +0000
X-Originating-IP: [217.146.182.120]
Received: (qmail 57076 invoked by uid 60001); 16 Aug 2007 13:21:20 -0000
DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;
s=s1024; d=yahoo.co.uk;
h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:Date:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:Message-ID;
b=R6aP0JEXwt4dkGNM3aWrohmBmIRL7PVQkPkSlyySWR7/RUSX0MBsxh5zQz1wDW6JvftTy9hhULxO5YpLbNyKxRrhOMsvGKGL9HBF8fVp5t58rvQ2a1LE2EdQlcgayFPmPBECP+Fkmy3VJUGITCARya4VL3noBAFUV/trMJGzf2g=;
X-YMail-OSG: F_1cjE4VM1nbB_v1XDDoSou2fHYxwV6.x_N9ZDFiHOxDcbDDk7NLHlT16kqvd0OEZQ--
Received: from [82.128.4.213] by web28015.mail.ukl.yahoo.com via HTTP; Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:21:20 BST
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:21:20 +0100 (BST)
Subject: For
To:
Message-ID: <172250.52042.qm@web28015.mail.ukl.yahoo.com>
X-Antivirus: AVG for E-mail 7.5.484 [269.11.19/956]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="=======AVGMAIL-46C4EFC67495======="

--=======AVGMAIL-46C4EFC67495=======
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="0-642694990-1187270480=:52042"

--0-642694990-1187270480=:52042
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

swellman

Post by swellman »

ck wrote:Any chance of getting full headers with this? Blot out your own information if you want, this is what I do.

This is your basic Next of Kin/Inheritance 419 and it is a very common modality used by lads. Basically before your "inheritance" can be released, there will be "fees" to pay, usually requested via Western Union or Money Gram.

Go to 419eater and you will see just how common this particular scam is. I get these kinds of scam emails, with the same modality, in my catcher account on a daily basis, and I by no means am the only one.
Thanks for the categorization. I was pointed to 419eater only today, and have been checking it out. Noble mission.

Please tell me - where does the term "lad" come from? It's part of the 419 fighter's lexicon, but I'm curious about the term's origin. I couldn't find a simple explanation in the FAQs around the net.

And thanks again for the supporting words about how common this scam is. Getting spam e-mails is one thing, getting phone calls on my cell phone is quite another. I was a little freaked by it.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Probably because the scammers tend to be young and the guys who started it are all fags [Stop that!--Ed.] . . . British.

They might be able to help you with the phone calls. Please tell me you did not give out your cell-phone on pages of Al Gore's Interwebs!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

swellman

Post by swellman »

My cell phone is my only telephone contact - I don't have a land line. It is conceivable that said number is in a database somewhere on-line.

The phone calls seem to have stopped though. Maybe the lad is taking the weekend off?

ck

Post by ck »

Lads almost never "work" (and I use that term loosely) weekends, correct.

ck

Post by ck »

Oh, thanks for the headers.
IP address: 82.128.4.213
Reverse DNS: ml82.128.4.213.multilinks.com.
Reverse DNS authenticity: [Verified]
ASN: 17175
ASN Name: NSS-UK (New Skies Satellites UK AS)
IP range connectivity: 4
Registrar (per ASN): RIPE
Country (per IP registrar): NG [Nigeria]
Country Currency: Unknown
Country IP Range: 82.128.0.0 to 82.128.127.255
Country fraud profile: High
City (per outside source): Unknown
Country (per outside source): NG [Nigeria]
Private (internal) IP? No
IP address registrar: whois.ripe.net
Known Proxy? No
Link for WHOIS: 82.128.4.213
There is your lad.

Not that this is any surprise, really.

swellman

Post by swellman »

Many thanks ck and Doc X for the mentorship.

These lads are real bastards.