Our cunning plan

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Nyarlathotep

Our cunning plan

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I was not aware that anyone still did traditional snail-mail type chain letter scams but we got one today. It was the usual, where one sends money to everyone at the top of a list, then puts oneself at the bottom of that list, etc. But hey, it's got to be true, it was proven to work on Oprah and 20/20, said so, right on the letter.

It came from someone who must have bought our names from a mailing list, since he lives in Pennsylvania and we have never heard of him. Since the letter came with details on buying names from mailing lists, that seems all the more likely. Heck, maybe its to drum up business for the guys mailing list business, I don't know.

Anyhoo, instead of just tossing it, like we were going to, we are going to have fun. We plan on taking whatever bits of trash we can find lying around, beer bottles, dust bunnies, whatevers handy, sticking it in a box with no return address (in case it is mailing list fuckers trying to figure out live addresses) and sending it to every name on the list with the note "Stop sending us your trash and we'll stop sending you ours"

I might even do it on a weekly basis, until I get bored. Just out of fucking spite.

xouper

Re: Our cunning plan

Post by xouper »

Nyarlathotep wrote:I was not aware that anyone still did traditional snail-mail type chain letter scams but we got one today. It was the usual, where one sends money to everyone at the top of a list, then puts oneself at the bottom of that list, etc. But hey, it's got to be true, it was proven to work on Oprah and 20/20, said so, right on the letter.

It came from someone who must have bought our names from a mailing list, since he lives in Pennsylvania and we have never heard of him. Since the letter came with details on buying names from mailing lists, that seems all the more likely. Heck, maybe its to drum up business for the guys mailing list business, I don't know.

Anyhoo, instead of just tossing it, like we were going to, we are going to have fun. We plan on taking whatever bits of trash we can find lying around, beer bottles, dust bunnies, whatevers handy, sticking it in a box with no return address (in case it is mailing list fuckers trying to figure out live addresses) and sending it to every name on the list with the note "Stop sending us your trash and we'll stop sending you ours"

I might even do it on a weekly basis, until I get bored. Just out of fucking spite.
:LOL2: I assume you will send lightweight trash to save on postage.

Anyway, I got one of those chain letters in the mail recently and I just took it to the post office and they said thanks, they will forward it to the Postal Inspector for investigation. I never heard any more about it.

http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/fraud/chainlet.htm
http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/fraud/welcome.htm
U.S. Postal Inspectors investigate any crime in which the U.S. Mail is used to further a scheme--whether it originated in the mail, by telephone, or on the Internet. The use of the U.S. Mail is what makes it mail fraud.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Nyarlathotep wrote:"Stop sending us your trash and we'll stop sending you ours"

Be careful you do not piss off the USPS.

A "Return to Sender" works wonders with these things.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

It's a come on for selling the mailing list, and the people at the top of the list in the letter (by the time you get it) may be innocent bystanders.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Doctor X wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:"Stop sending us your trash and we'll stop sending you ours"

Be careful you do not piss off the USPS.

A "Return to Sender" works wonders with these things.

--J.D.
I thought about that; this is why he gets beer bottles and dust bunnies rather than the contents of a litter box.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

xouper wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:I was not aware that anyone still did traditional snail-mail type chain letter scams but we got one today. It was the usual, where one sends money to everyone at the top of a list, then puts oneself at the bottom of that list, etc. But hey, it's got to be true, it was proven to work on Oprah and 20/20, said so, right on the letter.

:LOL2: I assume you will send lightweight trash to save on postage.

Anyway, I got one of those chain letters in the mail recently and I just took it to the post office and they said thanks, they will forward it to the Postal Inspector for investigation. I never heard any more about it.

http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/fraud/chainlet.htm
http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/fraud/welcome.htm
U.S. Postal Inspectors investigate any crime in which the U.S. Mail is used to further a scheme--whether it originated in the mail, by telephone, or on the Internet. The use of the U.S. Mail is what makes it mail fraud.
I'll probably do that too.

Even if I don't fall for it, I abso-fucking-lutley HATE people trying to scam me or my family.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:It's a come on for selling the mailing list, and the people at the top of the list in the letter (by the time you get it) may be innocent bystanders.
Hmmmmm. Maybe the mailing list people need a 'care package'.

Cloverlief

Post by Cloverlief »

I think so. We have 6 cats and 2 dogs, we have hairballs to go around!!
Chani

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:It's a come on for selling the mailing list, and the people at the top of the list in the letter (by the time you get it) may be innocent bystanders.
Hmmmmm. Maybe the mailing list people need a 'care package'.
That's more like it. :D
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.