If you're a Christian who likes money ...

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

If you're a Christian who likes money ...

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Just got an email from these folks ==> http://managementopp.com/

Seems to be your basic work at home scam.

No Sales Experience Necessary -- or desired, I reckon.

All about how much money you'll make without really telling you what you have to do to get it.

What specifically is Christian? They say they are.

I'll have to give personal details for the FREE Entrepreneurial Package to find out more. They don't want to give it all away to random infidels.

What they want to know:
  • First Name
    Last Name
    Email Address
    Address
    City
    State
    Zip
    Age (must be at least 18 )
    Phone
    Additional Phone (not required, but helpful)
    Personal Credit
Emphasis added. It's a drop down list with three items
  • Bad Credit
    Moderate Credit
    Good Credit
I'll be giving some phony details (with bad credit) and report back.

I suppose that there are be people who would be suspicious of get-rich-quick schemes -- "of the world" you see -- but pre-qualified as gullible ninnies when it comes to something called Christian.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Yeah, this one isn't a complex scam. You pay them big money to buy overpriced air/water purifiers, which you then have to sell evenmore overpricedly in order to make a profit. Of course, few people are as gullible as you are and will not want to buy these over priced items, leaving you stuck with them. The scammers already have YOUR money though.

It's a fairly old one, I've known people that got sucked into it (well not this particular one, but a similar one). Thet tell you how you can make big mowney selling their product, and hope tha dollar signs in your head will blot out the fact that you have to charge about five times what people are willing to pay to make any money, or find a bigger sucker than yourself.

Now the "Christian" angle is a new one to me, though I am seeing it a lot in other types of scams. I have to wonder if its that they think "Oh, religious types are more gullible, so this is a way we can target them" or if they think "Oh, if we claim to be a CHRISTIAN company, people will find us more trustworthy and be less likely to think we are scamming them" or maybe both.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Update: No email at my throwaway yahoo address.

Maybe later.

Cloverlief

Post by Cloverlief »

"I like money"
Chani

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Got 2 replies.

BTW, Gerald isn't my name or my usual alias anywhere.

First Letter:
Gerald, Just getting back to your request regarding the position with my company

Hi Gerald:

You recently responded to our ad where we were looking for a part-time manager candidate to represent our company. Thank you for sending your profile.

I would like to conduct a brief phone interview with you ASAP.

In the meantime, please review my website at: http://www.FreedomIn4Steps.com/lmccleary.

To schedule your interview, please call my toll free number @ (888) 624-2469. There will be a three-minute message from our senior partner Greg Montoya that you should find very intriguing. Once you listen to this exciting message, please indicate TWO different time slots at which you would be available for a 10 to 15 minute phone interview. You may also reply to this email if it is more convenient.

You will love the fact that our proven business opportunity is now entering its third successful decade and is driven by a high technology product line that has been used in sophisticated applications ranging from the Space Shuttle and the International Space Station to protecting the Pentagon post 911.

Gerald, thank you once again for submitting your profile. I look forward to speaking with you shortly.

Thank you in advance for leaving the two time slots for your interview availability.

Best of Success,

Linda McCleary

Success Marketing
Looks like they're in a big hurry for Gerald to call them. Anyone please feel free. I don't feel like taking the time to bait them myself.

Also notice there's nothing about being Christian in the follow-up letter nor on the front page of the linked website. So this outfit is not specifically fishing for Christian suckers, though they make a special effort for them. :rolleyes:

Anybody out there ever heard of this Linda McCleary?

Second letter (The testimonials have photos):
Sorry Gerald, forgot to include these earlier

Hi Gerald

I'm not sure if you read the letter I sent out earlier today or not, but I thought you might enjoy a couple of testimonies from normal everyday people like yourself who have found this business to be the gateway to a better future. Whether you're just starting your career or have worked hard all your life, you will be joining people from all walks of life who have found a better way.

"I am job free at the age of 32! Thank you Jon Bender and Greg Montoya!!! I came from a "good" corporate job making $90,000/year but found myself asking if there was something I could do on a part time basis and match my income. All I had was 10 extra hours a week to work this business and a willingness to learn. By my 18th month my income was over $13,969/month. I now drive a company paid for Mercedes ML 430 and have much more control of my time and income." What a blessing! Paul Svetz

As a former manager for TCI cable for 28 years, and a business owner, I decided that the timing was right to build a business with this product. My wife quickly gave up her teaching position and we both began to work the business. Within three months we were making $8,000 per month and within ten months we were making $19,000 per month". Cadle & Elicia McCeachen

http://www.FreedomIn4Steps.com/lmccleary

Please contact me right away to schedule your confidential 10-15 minute phone interview.

Linda McCleary

(888) 624-2469 (Business Info & Voicemail)

Link to other thread GUESS WHERE.

Pepper's Ghost

Post by Pepper's Ghost »

If you do call them, remember that they get your phone number even if it is blocked or private because 800 numbers get that information.

Something about since the 800 number is picking up the cost of the call, they get to have your information.
[size=75]JREF Lurker
U.S.L.S. 1985-????
[url=http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php?p=2836096&postcount=274]"Skeptic Holy War" Banana Buffer[/url]
[url=http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=93580]Read the thread. Stick to the scenario.[/url] [/size]

Llacheu

Post by Llacheu »

That ad is like all the ones you can find in newspapers where various people advertise their services as "Christian TV repairman" or "Christian plumber" or whatever. They hope to make people think they are more honest than others in the same field. This scam uses the same idea.
In fact, 10,500 BC was the first time Orion's belt was ever visible in the night sky and the alignment is perfect.

If you deny this you simply are a holocaust denier. - Kilik

JasonAristotle wrote:
I SAY BLIND FAITH BELIEVERS
WHO REFUSE TO CRITICALLY THINK FOR THEMSELVES
DESERVE WHATEVER THE UFO ALIENS
HAVE IN STORE FOR THEM!!!

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Somehow there's more irony to a Christian get-rich-quick scheme than to a Christian plumber. :D

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

Domain Name: FREEDOMIN4STEPS.COM
Registrar: ENOM, INC.
Whois Server: whois.enom.com
Referral URL: http://www.enom.com
Name Server: NS2.EARNWARE.COM
Name Server: NS1.EARNWARE.COM
Updated Date: 19-apr-2007
Creation Date: 18-apr-2007
Expiration Date: 18-apr-2008

A hosting company dedicated to hiding the identities of the spammers who use it, evidently.

The root www.FREEDOMIN4STEPS.COM won't let you see anything unless you supply the name of a salesperson. I found "linda" worked fine.

FREEDOMIN4STEPS.COM uses multiple layers of redirection to hide their corporate address and telephone numbers.

FREEDOMIN4STEPS.COM advertises big bucks to be made... but even a quick glance at their web materials makes clear that it's in commissions from door-to-door sales, one of the most inefficient, risky, and expensive ways of marketing merchandise.

And yes, most of the pages I clicked through in my 45-second tour of their web site mention God.

My working hypothesis is that they are not particularly affiliated with any form of religion but have noticed a corrolation between Christian sentiments of marks and general gullability, and they've worked out a way to exploit that for increased gullability.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Llacheu

Post by Llacheu »

Abdul,

You must have less expensive plumbers where you are... :D
In fact, 10,500 BC was the first time Orion's belt was ever visible in the night sky and the alignment is perfect.

JasonAristotle wrote:

Llacheu

Post by Llacheu »

Door-to-door sales... I fell for that one once in college. I tried to sell encyclopedias. Most people gave me no thanks as an answer. I was threatened a few times, and had dogs and a javalina set after me.

I wonder if other religions get used that way.

JasonAristotle wrote:

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

DrMatt wrote: ...
Thanks. 8)