Fake Checks

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Nyarlathotep

Fake Checks

Post by Nyarlathotep »

In my internet wanderings I just found this fairly informative site on typical fake check scams; i.e. Nigerian 419 scams, overpayment scams, etc. It gives details on the most common sort of scams, pretty basic and probably not much there that most of us dont' know, but it seems a good site for us to send our more gullible freinds and relatives to, next time one of them decides that the offer to work from home cashing checks from foreign companies sounds like a good deal.

Just thought I'd point it out, anyway.

clarsct

Post by clarsct »

Pretty good. Well laid out.
When Religion becomes State, and breaking the Law becomes a Sin, then Dissenters will become Heretics.

"Reading other people's opinions is a good way to avoid thinking." --My Wife

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Very nice site.

Another thing to remind the "ne'er-do-wells," you cannot make money off of this. You will be facing jail time. Occasionally, some idiot will ask, "yeah, but if I withdraw the money and . . . like . . . go someplace . . . then it is the scammer's problem for sending a bad check?"

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

xouper

Re: Fake Checks

Post by xouper »

Nyarlathotep wrote:In my internet wanderings I just found this fairly informative site on typical fake check scams; i.e. Nigerian 419 scams, overpayment scams, etc. It gives details on the most common sort of scams, pretty basic and probably not much there that most of us dont' know, but it seems a good site for us to send our more gullible freinds and relatives to, next time one of them decides that the offer to work from home cashing checks from foreign companies sounds like a good deal.

Thanks for the link.

Just for grins, I took their Fraud Test: Work-At-Home
Question #2: Would a company hire someone to work for it without an in-person interview?
Since I have been hired as a software engineer many times without an in-person interview, I answered "yes". I've even gotten some legitimate "work-at-home" programming jobs that way. Telecommuting, it's sometimes called. But according to that Fraud Test, "yes" is the wrong answer. I get their point, but that might not be the best way to ask that question.

Andalyn

Post by Andalyn »

I was thinking I'd get to read something about "check-washing", but alas - the website is only for the gullible. :)

It's a fairly good site, mostly aimed at the elderly pensioner / sucker / victim.

I worked white collar crime for a while (financial fraud cases). The actual "con" or trick is rare. Contractor fraud is big (pay a guy for work at the house / business, he hires others, they don't get paid, he takes off with the money, the subcontractors file liens against you etc.

Check washing - the bad girl (usually a girl oddly enough) gets your mail, finds a check you have written for an amount, uses chemicals to take the name off of the "pay to the order of" part, and alters the dollar amount of the check. The smart ones make the check out to a fake name, to which they have a fake picture ID. The dumb ones make the check out to themselves... their real name. I did get quite a few of those. :)
[size=9][color=gray].[/size][/color]
[b][color=indigo]CAESAR SI VIVERET, AD REMUM DARERIS.[/color][/b]
[size=9][color=gray].[/size][/color]
[color=crimson]100 COOL POINTS to NightG1 for finding my batboy picture. He Rocketh![/color]

WhatWhatWhat

Post by WhatWhatWhat »

I tried to get a fake check. But the guy changed his mind and insisted on using direct deposit. He said it would be faster to just do that than mail a check. But I told him 'well I am not going to give you access to my account so either it is a check or nothing." It was nothing.

But I really just wanted the $8 Million (something) check. I was going to frame it and with the caption "A rubber Millionaire"

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Should have told him to use Western Union.

100% Risky Free!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Bearguin
Title: Thankless Bastard!

Post by Bearguin »

Popped into the fraud test.

The last question threw me a bit.

"Are foreign companies unable to receive payments directly from US customer?"

This is not a simple Y/N question and there are cases where banking regulations do restrict you ability to move funds to a foreign bank.

Coming from the other direction (paying a US supplier from a Canadian bank), I know it is getting harder for me to pay US suppliers. I (on behalf of my employer) have had to sign documents, pay a fee etc. with a major Canadian bank so our cheques (note the spelling) can be cleared by a US bank.

Anyway, I answered it the way they wanted and got 100%

En folkefiende

Re: Fake Checks

Post by En folkefiende »

xouper wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:In my internet wanderings I just found this fairly informative site on typical fake check scams; i.e. Nigerian 419 scams, overpayment scams, etc. It gives details on the most common sort of scams, pretty basic and probably not much there that most of us dont' know, but it seems a good site for us to send our more gullible freinds and relatives to, next time one of them decides that the offer to work from home cashing checks from foreign companies sounds like a good deal.

Thanks for the link.

Just for grins, I took their Fraud Test: Work-At-Home
Question #2: Would a company hire someone to work for it without an in-person interview?
Since I have been hired as a software engineer many times without an in-person interview, I answered "yes". I've even gotten some legitimate "work-at-home" programming jobs that way. Telecommuting, it's sometimes called. But according to that Fraud Test, "yes" is the wrong answer. I get their point, but that might not be the best way to ask that question.

Hmm. Some of us have worked on a contract and never met a single one of the people who cut the contract, but all was well, etc, and the work got done and paid for...

But it is unusual, yes.
Formerly jj, the enemy of the people, aka the bullies who rant and lie here.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx »

The 419 scam has a very effective offspring. They claim to be Fedex Courier Express or such and they need money to ship your parcel with your 800,000 dollars in it.

Yes, people fall for it. First you pay they 250 dollars to get it shipped, then they mail you back and tell you they need another 250 to get it past customs.

This scam seemed to start up in November. They use the legitmacy of a company like Fedex to sucker people who wouldn't otherwise fall for the typical lottery or royal family stories.