Most Ironic Spam Ever

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Nyarlathotep

Most Ironic Spam Ever

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:00 am

Today a phishing spam managed to worm its way into my inbox. It was pretty routine, pretending to be a bank and needing to 'verify my account' (by clicking a link, natch) for security purposes etc. Very slick and professional looking, it even avoided the usual morass of typos these things tend to have. But otherwise nothing special.

Except for the one thing that made me laugh. The very first words in the e-mail were 'Identity Theft is an ever increasing problem in today's world'

You don't say...
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

ck

Post by ck » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:17 am

Except for the one thing that made me laugh. The very first words in the e-mail were 'Identity Theft is an ever increasing problem in today's world'
This is a common tactic among the Romanians these days, they are the scumbags behind the phishing websites. They also put such warnings on their false escrow websites, to make it look more legitimate. After all, why would a fraudulent website advertise about fraud? A lot of people do still fall for this kind of thing, some of them out thousands of euros . . .

LOL, here is one from a false escrow, same kind of warning. . .
Internet fraud costs victims millions of dollars each year. Protect yourself with Secure Transports! We protect both the buyer and seller with a simple, 5-step trust process.
Nice try you Romanian goat-fuckers.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:29 am

ck wrote:
Nice try you Romanian goat-fuckers.
I would reply to the e-mail with exactly those words, but since it was likely sent from a hijacked account, it likely wouldn't reach its intended recipients.

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:43 am

Sometimes I've looked to see if there's a way to send a message along the same path the money would go... but I eventually decided it was a waste of time.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:22 am

I would just like to mention at this point that I am not Romanian.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:53 am

You say Roumanians, but I suspect you're really talking about a small group of individuals who all know each other personally.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:05 am

CHARLEY_BIGTIME wrote:I would just like to mention at this point that I am not Romanian.
Yeah, that's why you were wearing that "I (Heart) Vlad Tepes" pin at the Chinese restaraunt.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:06 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:You say Roumanians, but I suspect you're really talking about a small group of individuals who all know each other personally.
I highly doubt it was sent by the Moderators at TOP, and AFAIK, none of them are Romanian.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:37 am

Make sure you report it.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

ck

Post by ck » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:30 pm

The phishing ones are actually usually disabled pretty quickly. If it has been a few days already, chances are it is already gone. If not there a number of different places to report such crap.

SamanthaMc

Post by SamanthaMc » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:06 pm

I never get fun emails like that. Here's one I got yesterday: "If you are embarrased by the size of your weener, your solution is finally here!"

I also got this one: "Your soon-to-be Monster demands a Mate." I guess I'm going to acquire a monster soon, and I need to be on the lookout for a girlfriend for him. I hope I get a vampire or a griffin.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:46 pm

Doctor X wrote:Make sure you report it.

--J.D.
Done within a few minutes of geting it, both to the bank it allegedly came from and to 'abuse' at the senders ISP.

yeah, I know the address at the ISP probably didn't knowingly send it, but they might let the guy know his account is being used for spam.

ck

Post by ck » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:02 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Doctor X wrote:Make sure you report it.

--J.D.
Done within a few minutes of geting it, both to the bank it allegedly came from and to 'abuse' at the senders ISP.

yeah, I know the address at the ISP probably didn't knowingly send it, but they might let the guy know his account is being used for spam.
The banks are better at getting these things shut down than most others.

If you download the Netcraft toolbar at http://toolbar.netcraft.com/ it can be used for reporting phishing, meaning a warning page will pop up letting future visitors know that it is a scam, should Netcraft accept it as a phishing URL. You can also report the scam links to Firefox, assuming you use that browser. When a site is accepted as scam when it has been reported to FF, something will pop up on the screen warning the user it is a scam, with the option of leaving the website.

As far as reporting to the "sender's" ISP, it does not hurt any, as the ISP *may* bring it to that person's attention that they are flinging around spam. Some of the scam websites have nasty critters (keyloggers are a favorite of the Romanian scammers) on them, so that is always a possibility. However, I found that most ISPs, since they are not liable, do jack shit to stop the infiltration of malware and other garbage like this onto the inter-webs.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:18 am

I blame Al Gore.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ck

Post by ck » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:19 am

Doctor X wrote:I blame Al Gore.

--J.D.
Hey, he invented this inter-web thing, after all.

Tiosylanyl
Title: The Three-eyed Raven

Post by Tiosylanyl » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:51 am

ck wrote:
Doctor X wrote:I blame Al Gore.

--J.D.
Hey, he invented this inter-web thing, after all.
All victims of inter-web scams should file a class action lawsuit against him.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:32 am

So should we report THERE given the various scholarship and cruise scandals?

47 pages follows. . . .

--J.D.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:47 am

Meanwhile in other news,
Letter Of Intent

Before I introduce myself, I wish to inform you that this letter is not a
hoax mail and I urge you to treat it serious. I would have given you a call,
but rather I decided to contact you via an email to get us acquainted since
it is a safer way of private communication.
This has been the lead in letters supposedly from China, Chad, Zimbabwe, and Australia in recent days. The ploy has been part of scams since the earliest roots of misdirection.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.