"High end" audio equipment -- ping jj

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
ed
Title: G_D

"High end" audio equipment -- ping jj

Post by ed »

My bro in law is a cultist on this stuff. He is now working with a guy who markets amps that cost $50k.

What is the scoop with this stuff? Considering that by the time one could afford that sort of equipment, one's hearing is already tanking.

What is the deal here? Spit it out and be clear.

Comeon dammit!!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

You don't need jj for an answer to that question. It is really quite simple. There are plenty of people out there who have more money than sense who want to convince themselves that they have hearing abilities far beyond those of mortal men. Those people buy $50K amplifiers and little LCD clocks that Quantum harmonize the Low-end bass tones and other such gibberish. It makes them feel special.

hth.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Sounds like Bull Shit to me. However, I need a linky to the 50,000 dollar amp.......

With variation on power output, no one should pay more than 500 to 600 bucks for a power amp. No amount of additional money makes this piece of the puzzle any better.

jj?
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

sparks wrote: ... 50,000 dollar amp ...
How much does a 50k watt radio transmitter cost?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

grayman

Post by grayman »

If I recall correctly, one trick that audio equipment sales people would use is to have the volume a little louder on the speakers they were trying to sell.
You will be electroplated. Resistance is potential divided by current! - Dr. Matt

Cogito, ergo Deus non est.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
sparks wrote: ... 50,000 dollar amp ...
How much does a 50k watt radio transmitter cost?
A really high end one, such as a Continental dual 25 kilowatt with all the options (total power output = 50,000 watts) will tear the shit out of a half a million dollars, maybe more these days. It's been a while since I ordered a new one.

But, you're comparing RF apples to Audio oranges. And what the fuck are you ever going to do with 50kw of audio assuming such a comparison were worth making?

That's why I want a link to the 50k dollar amp. Let's nail down some specifics here, otherwise the conversation is largely meaningless speculation.

xouper

Post by xouper »

sparks

Post by sparks »

Well--the first website is badly translated. For 350k a pop, you'd think they could do better than that.

As for the Stereophile review--they seemed to like it. And for 350k, they should.

The 833A by the way, is a common convection cooled triode that's been around since Christ was a child. Nothing special there. The photos in the Stereophile review were quite impressive. But again, they by Gawd ought to be for 350k.

It's a fucking class A audio amplifier and I don't give a good flying fuck how you implement it (either with vacuum tubes or FETs or specially minted pieces of shit) and therefore (if properly designed and built) will sound the same regardless of how you make that amount of power.

Wavac is jerking themselves and all those rich fuckers who buy them off in a big way. :x

xouper

Post by xouper »

sparks wrote:Wavac is jerking themselves and all those rich fuckers who buy them off in a big way. :x
Agreed. And the sycophants at Stereophile magazine are accomplices.

En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

xouper wrote:
sparks wrote:Wavac is jerking themselves and all those rich fuckers who buy them off in a big way. :x
150 watts from an 833A?

Heck, they should use an 8792, or is it an 8972?
Formerly jj, the enemy of the people, aka the bullies who rant and lie here.

sparks

Post by sparks »

jj wrote:
xouper wrote:
150 watts from an 833A?

Yea. Plate dissipation of an 833A is, if memory serves, about 800 (300) watts. This thing is running class A which means a max theoretical efficiency of about 30 percent. I'm assuming it's a push pull arrangement, due to the fact that there are two tubes, so total dissipation would be 1600 (600) watts max. But you don't want to push them that hard or they won't last very long. So they're being conservative. Input power of 500 watts, 30 percent efficient would give 150 watts out and a plate dissipation of 350 watts total or 175 per tube. Just enough to make them glow a cheery red color, but not smoke them prematurely.

BTW-I just double checked online and my memory is fucked. The plate dissipation is about 300 watts per tube. Damn, I could've sworn it was more. Real figures are in parenthesis.

edited to add: Check this fucker out. This was the transmitter in use at the first radio station I worked for at the tender young age of 15. The biggest tubes (at the top of each bay) are 833As. Wow--blast from the past.

linky: http://louise.hallikainen.org/~harold/B ... _1KWAM.pdf

Below is a photo of a 1kw AM transmitter built with todays tech. It's 19 inches wide by about 24 inches tall.

En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

sparks wrote:
jj wrote:
xouper wrote:
150 watts from an 833A?

Yea. Plate dissipation of an 833A is, if memory serves, about 800 (300) watts. This thing is running class A which means a max theoretical efficiency of about 30 percent. I'm assuming it's a push pull arrangement, due to the fact that there are two tubes, so total dissipation would be 1600 (600) watts max. But you don't want to push them that hard or they won't last very long. So they're being conservative. Input power of 500 watts, 30 percent efficient would give 150 watts out and a plate dissipation of 350 watts total or 175 per tube. Just enough to make them glow a cheery red color, but not smoke them prematurely.

BTW-I just double checked online and my memory is fucked. The plate dissipation is about 300 watts per tube. Damn, I could've sworn it was more. Real figures are in parenthesis.

edited to add: Check this fucker out. This was the transmitter in use at the first radio station I worked for at the tender young age of 15. The biggest tubes (at the top of each bay) are 833As. Wow--blast from the past.

linky: http://louise.hallikainen.org/~harold/B ... _1KWAM.pdf

Below is a photo of a 1kw AM transmitter built with todays tech. It's 19 inches wide by about 24 inches tall.
Pikers!

http://catalog.rell.com/rellecom/script ... &PNO=&PNM=

My favorite tube.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

This product cannot
be purchased online.

Due to franchise agreement restrictions, not all products may be available in all countries.
8)

ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Im talking about consumer amplifiers, like to play Britny Spears albums

sparks

Post by sparks »

Sorry about the slight derailment ed.

I'm sure you've gathered the current consensus about this thing: It's bullshit for a lot of reasons and on a lot of levels, not the least of which is the fuggin' price tag.

Tell your bro in law that he's full of shit.

Now then: One and a half megawatts of plate dissipation---[Stewie voice] Soon victory shall be mine!!! [/Stewie voice] As a class C amplifier, what ever would you do with that kind of power output? Not to mention that you'd need a small nuclear reactor to power the thing......

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

ed wrote:Im talking about consumer amplifiers, like to play Britny Spears albums

En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
ed wrote:Im talking about consumer amplifiers, like to play Britny Spears albums
Oh my Ed, Abdul made me laugh out loud. :)

The High End is not entirely full of BS. There is a lot of steaming, heaping, composting, highly aerated BS, but there is some substance here and there.

En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

(off button)

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

For the price of some of that "high end equipment" you could go and attend live concerts.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

DrMatt wrote:For the price of some of that "high end equipment" you could go and attend live concerts.
Yeah, that's the real bugger of it all for me, I mean, come on...

If I wanted to spend that kind of cash on a hobby, the philharmonic would think I lived there.

So would Jazz Alley.

Geeze...