Townies dump urban foxes on country folk

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
JamesM

Townies dump urban foxes on country folk

Post by JamesM »

Bit of a Brit-centric UL for you all. This time round, the action is taking place in Wales, as reported by BBC News Online:
Urban foxes are being collected from towns and cities in England and dumped in rural Wales, an MP claims.
The key part is here (bolding mine):
Mr Nick Smyth of Pentre Bach, Llwyngwril, near Dolgellau, was so appalled at an incident he was told of that he wrote to his local newspaper.

"A van in a motorway car park was found by acquaintances of ours to be full of urban foxes," he said.

"When questioned, the driver stated that the animals were being taken to a remote part of the country, where no-one lived and no-one - in London presumably - had ever heard of, where he said they would do no harm.
Mr Smyth, has (of course!) not actually seen it himself, but someone he knows has. And there are (of course!) no details beyond a van and a motorway car park. In fact similar stories have been doing the rounds for a little while, long enough to be featured in the Fortean Times 'Mythconceptions' column last year. Sometimes the dumping takes place in Scotland or England. An earlier example from local newspaper the Shropshire Star can be found here.

Even if you aren't UL-savvy, a moment's thought raises a few warning flags. It's hard to understand why anyone would think that urban foxes would be happier in the country (particularly with all the hunting talk going on at the moment) and even harder to work out how you'd go about collecting a load of them. I'm also quite interested to know how Mr Smyth's "acquaintances" discovered there was a van full of foxes in the car park - had the driver let them out for a walk? Of course, there is the possibility that people really are gathering up foxes and dumping them in the countryside all across the British Isles, but I remain skeptical.

I can't tell you how happy it makes me to spot an urban legend 'in the wild', so to speak.
"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert"

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Townies dump urban foxes on country folk

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Firearms are illegal where I live. Yeah, in the gun loving USA. But it's Cook County, Illinois.

Geez those geese look delish!

I suppose I could strangle one, but that's illegal, too.

Can't have one of those geese without getting in trouble.

Damn!
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Have you tried axes?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Skeptoid

Post by Skeptoid »

Nope. All his axes live in Texas. :P
[img]http://img170.exs.cx/img170/1125/searsskeptic1wo.gif[/img]

Denise

Post by Denise »

Skeptoid wrote:Nope. All his axes live in Texas. :P
OMG that's bad.... :D