Most tempting offer ever

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Nyarlathotep

Most tempting offer ever

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Got an interesting offer yesterday. It was a piece of junk mail purporting to be from a bank. It seems I have been pre-approved for a credit card. One that "can be exclusively used for purchasing items from [the "bank"s] partner vendors". Its at an obnoxious interst rate and I will bet anything the the "partner vendor" is a catalog or website filled with nothing but high-priced, low quality bullshit merchandise. And to get it, I only have to pay a $37 application fee.

So I can pay $37 for the privelige of paying way too much for cheap crap AND get charged an ungodly amount of interest on top of it? This sounds almost too good to be true. :roll:

Truly, this was such a transparent scam that I have to wonder how it can be profitable. If course, I think that e-mails from Nigerian Royalty are not only transparent but well known enough that I wonder the same thing, but people still fall for them. I guess there is never any shortage of suckers.

Bearguin
Title: Thankless Bastard!

Re: Most tempting offer ever

Post by Bearguin »

I think I can beat that.

Have a customer who just informed us that they've gone to an e-invoicing service and that if we want to get paid, we have to pay their third party supplier to accept invoices on the customers behalf.

So, we ship them product and now have to pay a flat fee plus a per invoice charge for them to pay for the product they received. And the set up fee is about 65% of what they owe us (small customer).

New one to me.

En folkefiende

Post by En folkefiende »

Bearguin, perhaps you won't be shipping much to them in the future?
Formerly jj, the enemy of the people, aka the bullies who rant and lie here.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Bearguin wrote:I think I can beat that.

Have a customer who just informed us that they've gone to an e-invoicing service and that if we want to get paid, we have to pay their third party supplier to accept invoices on the customers behalf.

So, we ship them product and now have to pay a flat fee plus a per invoice charge for them to pay for the product they received. And the set up fee is about 65% of what they owe us (small customer).

New one to me.
I'm curious as to how you replied to the customer.

Bearguin
Title: Thankless Bastard!

Post by Bearguin »

Rob Lister wrote:

New one to me.
So far just left a voice mail. Talked to the store manager first and he said their purchaser is a pain and he doesn't care about losin the small sales. If they don't have an alternate method to pay invoices, they will be cod.

ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Bearguin wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:

New one to me.
So far just left a voice mail. Talked to the store manager first and he said their purchaser is a pain and he doesn't care about losin the small sales. If they don't have an alternate method to pay invoices, they will be cod.
That should .... seal it :lol: :lol:

god, what a wit. I can hardly :lol: :lol: bear :lol: :lol: it.
About that stereo

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

I've started getting these again.
Greetings dear!
I hope that you will like to read this letter and reply to me very fast.
My name is Olga, but friends call me Olya. I'm serious woman, without pernicious habits,
who looking for serious relations with good man from USA...
I'm 27 years old, blond hairs and green/hazel eyes.. I have "GOLD" heart and open for LOVE.
I have very good chance arrive to your country and if everything is all right I may be there nearest days!
But I don't know anyone who can meet me. I think that one real meeting is much better than thousand letters.
If you wish to get relations with me, I will be very happy to get your reply today!
Your email give me your Friend. please check my photo.
IMPORTANT! I very much wish to receive your photos. Please to send some photos also.
Best regards,
Olga
13.06.201220:24:31
Perfection.jpg
Return address is Olga <lonely5flower@yahoo.com>.
Who would like to reply to Olga?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

I would like to reply to Olga. Do you think she'll like me?

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

DrMatt wrote:I've started getting these again.
Greetings dear!
I hope that you will like to read this letter and reply to me very fast.
My name is Olga, but friends call me Olya. I'm serious woman, without pernicious habits,
who looking for serious relations with good man from USA...
I'm 27 years old, blond hairs and green/hazel eyes.. I have "GOLD" heart and open for LOVE.
I have very good chance arrive to your country and if everything is all right I may be there nearest days!
But I don't know anyone who can meet me. I think that one real meeting is much better than thousand letters.
If you wish to get relations with me, I will be very happy to get your reply today!
Your email give me your Friend. please check my photo.
IMPORTANT! I very much wish to receive your photos. Please to send some photos also.
Best regards,
Olga
13.06.201220:24:31
Perfection.jpg
Return address is Olga <lonely5flower@yahoo.com>.
Who would like to reply to Olga?
I have no desire to speak with her (I have enough FUCKBUDDIES already). But my good friend Joe Kerr might drop her a line. I understand he might offer to show her a magic trick.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

From: Princess <web1p1701@volkssolidaritaet.de>, Reply-to: Princess <email_kates@yahoo.com> wrote:Hello, seriously I am very interested in getting to know you inside and out.... I want to know everything it is to know about you and I in return will tell you all that you want to know about me..... so if you are seriously looking for something real please feel free to email at the address below and please, please send me some pictures when you email me.... and you will surely get some of me in return.... well you have a shot at my heart and the decision is yours so I am here if you want me and I hope to hear from you soon....
30.07.201223:05:32
6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Beanbag

Post by Beanbag »

Why would you want to correspond with her? I mean, LOOK AT HER. She can't even stand up straight, like her spine is twisted or something.

Neck issues, I'd say.

Beanbag
I fear no gods, because they don't exist, but I fear the fool that truly Believes.

I'm voting Romney this time around, because I've never settled for the lesser of two evils.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

Another follow-up.

I'm about ankle-deep in exposing a routine 419 scam. It has taken several months for the scammer to get to the point and actually start begging for bank account numbers--a fact which I immediately reported to police in the country of both the ISP and caller-ID-reported phone number of the scammer (they called my voice mail). We'll see how long I can keep them strung along. At the same time, I'm trying to devote minimal effort to it.

Like the previous two scammers, whom I never even replied to, this one sends pictures of a young woman, and claims to seek romance on the basis of having heard of me from an international romance web site.

I've used straightforward honesty and information already public on my web site to ensure that this person cannot end up with any blackmail leverage.

We'll see.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

Got a reply in English from the Policja in Warsaw. They're looking into it and say that if I feel like I'm being used for a money-laundering scheme, I should also contact my local police.
I'm thinking it's more of a "you give us your account numbers, we'll clean out your acount" scheme, and I'm not giving out any numbers anyhow. But perhaps the Policja needs a complaint from my local police in order to have locus standi to act? I don't know. Seems like too much effort, to me.

Anyhow, the scammer has sent a several pictures--probably more than ten, most of which are of the same model. Maybe early next week I'll post a couple of these.

ETA here's one. Go figure.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

Here's another lad playing the lady by the same formula. Who wants to play back?
Hello, I search interesting communication and possibly more. I'm trying to remember where I found your. Perhaps on dating site? In my view it's good opportunity to talk to someone from other country=) And I am feeling it is a good time to know someone new. Take care. Tatyana
x_0603151a.jpg
This comes in from Earthlink (elasmtp-kukur.atl.sa.earthlink.net [209.86.89.65]) with separate From and Reply-to addresses:
Reply-To: "Tatyana" <tatuska@gmx.com>

The scammer mentions an unspecified dating site, maybe, but no other details on how she met you. If you supply her with those details, make sure they're either innocuous public facts about you... or ludicrous details which an intelligent English speaker would immediately recognize as scamming the scammer. Don't worry about posing as me: the sender has never heard of me.

---------------------------------------------------------

An update on the "Polish lady": I've engaged local police as well as Polish police. Meanwhile, I got a desperate message from the "lady"--evidently it's time for "her" to fish or make bait, and I haven't answered "her" request for
Your account: routing number; account number; account name; branch address; your full address. And the type of Your account
for a supposed party in India to pretend to send me $7000 for me to "forward" on to "her" via MoneyGram because the sender allegedly cannot move money directly to her.
I've decided to string "her" along by sending "her" the URLs for Paypal India and Paypal Poland, explaining that she has no need of me in this transaction (which is, of course, true so long as you suppose the party in India really wants to send money to the party in Poland and isn't just part of the same crime ring trying to dupe an intermediary "trustee").
We'll see how things develop. Maybe this person will keep the same e-mail address long enough to be tracked down.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

Local police took a report. Probably won't do anything with it, but it's a statistic.
Not a word back from the Polish "lady" since I referred "her" to Paypal as solving all her money-moving problems without a "trustee".

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

A couple of specimens this morning.

"Irina" is eihjtlp@empire606.com. with e-mail actually forwarded by d206.x-mailer.de [212.162.52.158] :
'Irina' wrote:Hi there! It's me, Irina :) I hope you still remember me, I'm sorry I
couldn't write you for so long after we've met on the site, it's just
because I didn't have any access to a computer..I hope you're still
single and still hoping to meet your other half, please, let me know
:) I am sending you some of my photos, just in case you'd really
forgotten who I am :) will be waiting for your reply even if it will
be "sorry not interested", hope it won't be so :)
till soon :)
Irina
23.10.20123:20:04
hello.jpg
This next one is from "Tatiana", From and return path=<sergeevna.yut@gmail.com>, actually delivered by 91-223-180-233.thehost.com.ua [91.223.180.233].
'Tatiana' wrote:
Hi there,

My name is Tatiana. And I feel so lonely. I am a single girl from Ukriane seeking a very important man in my life, and I hope that is YOU.

I am very interested to know more about you. Do you consider we have a chance to create a real relationship?

Looking forward to hear from you!!!

PS. I can turn on a webcamera.
t1.jpg
t2.jpg
Not interested in these letters? Click here: unsubscribe
Most of the body of the e-mail is wrapped in a hyperlink to jump4love.info.
The "Click Here" points at 189984.binder.web.hosting-test.net.