Wounded Warrior Project

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Wounded Warrior Project

Post by Rob Lister » Sun May 12, 2013 1:15 pm

I don't know if you're heard the Wounded Warrior Project commercials on TV but there are a lot of them, mostly on the cable channels.

It's a charity that presumably helps former military personal that have been wounded in battle.

As with all 'TV' charities, I take such pleas for a few grains of salt. I know there are some legit charities out there but I assume they're all [something approaching] scams until proven otherwise.

Pretty sure this one is because of this heartfelt dialog:

Tearful mom: We got a call at 4:00 am telling us that our son had been shot.
Tearful dad: My first question to them was, is he alive.

Can you pick out what's wrong with the above?
Spoiler:
The military doesn't call family members at 4:00 am to convey such information. They typically don't 'call' at all.
So, now I know it is a scam at least at some level.

What scamming charities do you know?

Nyarlathotep
Title: God Emperor

Re: Wounded Warrior Project

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sun May 12, 2013 2:50 pm

Just out of curiousity, what do they do? I always see in the movies them sending someone out to tell the family in person, but I've never known if that's what they do or just Hollywood.
“Power bases are very dangerous because they attract people who are truly insane, people who seek power only for the sake of power.”

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Sun May 12, 2013 5:39 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:Just out of curiousity, what do they do? I always see in the movies them sending someone out to tell the family in person, but I've never known if that's what they do or just Hollywood.
Personally visit or send you a letter. Calling is not out of the question, after they've personally visited, but not at 4:00 am.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:16 pm

Wounded Warriors takes vets who are missing limbs on scuba trips and other outdoorsy activities. I have a friend who runs a dive shop who volunteers to help.

I'm not sure how much of their donations go to the program, this is the first I've heard of them running commercials.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:16 am

If he's dead, they would usually send someone in person. Maybe in World War 2 there were too many deaths to do that. If shot, but not dead, I don't know. You would think they would have the sense not to do it at 4 am, but maybe some poor slob half way around the world couldn't compute the time difference correctly.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:24 am

I don't know if this Charity Navigator site is legit, but they apparently exist to vet charities and make sure they're legit. It appears that the Wounded Warrior Project is middling OK:

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.c ... rgid=12842

55% of donations actually go to program spending, 8% to administration and 36.8% to fundraising.

By comparison, for the American Red Cross, 92.2% goes to program expenses, 4% to administration and 3.7% to fundraising.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.c ... orgid=3277
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

hammegk
Title: Curmudgeon

Post by hammegk » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:51 pm

fromthehills

Post by fromthehills » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:49 am

My anecdote from hearsay:

I was at a gun shop filling out background check paperwork when a guy walks in and asks the owner if he knows so and so from the Wounded Warriors thing. Apparently he is a hunting guide that volunteered to take some vets out on a hunting trip. He heard the shop owner was involved as well. The shop owner said, " Yeah, I don't deal with them anymore." The guide said, " Hmm, I'm thinking that is where I'm at, too." Sounded like Wounded Warriors wanted the guide to pay for all transportation from around the state, pay for all meals, and had to have liability insurance in place for them specifically. They don't help with costs for anything, from this story, anyway. I haven't looked into it further, but my guess is that any monetary donations would go to administrative costs, i.e. paying the guy to tell you what you are going to have to pay for when you take these guys out on a trip.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:56 am

There is charity and then there is guilted into poverty.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:04 am

Hannietty was big into this some time back. I recall poking around and coming to the conclusion that "fundraising" consisted of paying off Hanniey, Ollie North and others for their time and that damn little of the money went to the soldiers.

Check out the stories at this search:
https://www.google.com/search?q=wounded ... e&ie=UTF-8

There was some other info that reeked but I can't really recall the details.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
My indifference is boundless :x
[img]/img]