100% True For All Nations!

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Nyarlathotep

100% True For All Nations!

Post by Nyarlathotep »

So today I saw a rather amusing bit of spam on Facebook promising a cell phone recharge from an Internet link. At least I think that's what they were promising because it was obvious English wasn't their first and maybe not even their second language. They did, however, assure me their claims were "100% True In All Nations" so maybe I am just being cynical in my refusal to click the link; but I do have to wonder just how far below room temperature one has to be to think one can recharge one's phone from an Internet link.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: 100% True For All Nations!

Post by Rob Lister »

Nyarlathotep wrote:So today I saw a rather amusing bit of spam on Facebook promising a cell phone recharge from an Internet link. At least I think that's what they were promising because it was obvious English wasn't their first and maybe not even their second language. They did, however, assure me their claims were "100% True In All Nations" so maybe I am just being cynical in my refusal to click the link; but I do have to wonder just how far below room temperature one has to be to think one can recharge one's phone from an Internet link.
I don't want to suggest that you have a chilly thinking unit, but they're talking about recharging the minutes, not the battery.

h tt p:/ /mobilerecharge . com/

OTOH, anyone that would give them their credit card number is pretty chilly indeed.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

So it's not like the old Dilbert gag "Fax me some electricity"?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:So it's not like the old Dilbert gag "Fax me some electricity"?
I was also expecting a some kind of hack wherein the webpage could access data directly from the phone if some sucker plugged his cell phone into the usb port. I'd never heard of such a hack so I found what I think is the likely place Naryl's ad was coming from just to see.

Turned out it was just the run-of-the-mill human hack.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Ah, that makes more sense. Hard to tell with their...idiosyncratic...use of the English language.
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Nyarlathotep wrote:Ah, that makes more sense. Hard to tell with their...idiosyncratic...use of the English language.

the language may have been intentional. meant to weed out the warm intellects. :)
gnome

Post by gnome »

If your not dum click heer for free money$
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2