Money money money!

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Nyarlathotep
Title: God Emperor

Money money money!

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:02 pm

Good news everyone! I just got an email from MoneyGram telling me I "have been received the money". And I wasn't even expecting a wire transfer. All I have to do is open up the file they zipped up and attached. What could possibly go wrong?

Seriously though, I get a lot of e-mails like that, ones purportedly from a legitimate business sending me some sort of file as a zip, only at my work e-mail though. Don't know why, crappy spam filter I guess.
“Power bases are very dangerous because they attract people who are truly insane, people who seek power only for the sake of power.”

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Money money money!

Post by Doctor X » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:34 am

Anti-virus that does not search zipped files.

Of course, that is something I do not have to worry about. . . .

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:02 am

The money is IN the zip file... it's something Bill Gates invented!!
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:20 am

gnome wrote:The money is IN the zip file... it's something Bill Gates invented!!
But then Lister is the only vendor with whom you can spend the money.
Last edited by DrMatt on Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:27 am

:|

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:59 pm

:p
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:41 pm

This morning it was two seperate complaints from Dun & Bradstreet and some documents from Wells Fargo.

The latter might have gotten me if the others weren't so prolific. I actually AM expecting work related documents from Wells Fargo. But the fact I get so many of these makes me look carefully at any email with an attachment, so the spammer shot himself in the foot with his own prolificness.
“Power bases are very dangerous because they attract people who are truly insane, people who seek power only for the sake of power.”

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:45 pm

Evidentially a friend's email client got hacked and "he" sent me this:

//pii.com.pk/your_order.html?bofoqypaqi=54461794&atef=31542 <-------------------------------Don't click!!!

Subject line was "your order"

I'm curious but not that curious. What does it resolve to? Anybody guess?
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
My indifference is boundless :x
[img]/img]

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:04 pm

ed wrote:Evidentially a friend's email client got hacked and "he" sent me this:

//pii.com.pk/your_order.html?bofoqypaqi=54461794&atef=31542 <-------------------------------Don't click!!!

FWIW .pk is Pakistan.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

ed

Post by ed » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:13 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
ed wrote:Evidentially a friend's email client got hacked and "he" sent me this:

FWIW .pk is Pakistan.
It's Obama Osama :x :x
[img]/img]

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:26 pm

gnome wrote:The money is IN the zip file... it's something Bill Gates invented!!
That's good to know.

Likewise the boarding pass for the trip to Las Vegas I didn't know I was taking must be in the email I just got from American Airlines. It seems that despite not knowing I was taking a trip I have been upgraded to first class.

It's doubly funny since I fly American a lot and I know that for the short hop from Reno to Vegas they would fly a dinky plane with no First Class cabin. So I got upgraded to a seat that doesn't exist on a flight I didn't know I was taking. I am a lucky man.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:33 pm

May favorite was the "Nigerian style" offer, with Suha Arafat as the protagonist. What with Yasser's money being tied up in Switzerland.

The return address was a Yahoo freebie, and the headers indicated an origin in Rumania.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

ed

Post by ed » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:06 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
That's good to know.

Likewise the boarding pass for the trip to Las Vegas I didn't know I was taking must be in the email I just got from American Airlines. It seems that despite not knowing I was taking a trip I have been upgraded to first class.

It's doubly funny since I fly American a lot and I know that for the short hop from Reno to Vegas they would fly a dinky plane with no First Class cabin. So I got upgraded to a seat that doesn't exist on a flight I didn't know I was taking. I am a lucky man.
You are just lucky
[img]/img]

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:08 pm

I feel weirdly cheated that I never get Nigerian Prince letters. What I do get a lot of are offers from beautiful yet lonely Russian women who have "seen my profile" and want to get to know me. I get those mostly as PMs on gaming sites. Apparently beautiful Russian women are suckers for gamers. So if I am ever in Moscow and want to get laid, it would seem all I would have to do is find some attractive women and announce that I am a 20th level Paladin. That's good information to have.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:24 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:The latter might have gotten me if the others weren't so prolific. I actually AM expecting work related documents from Wells Fargo. But the fact I get so many of these makes me look carefully at any email with an attachment, so the spammer shot himself in the foot with his own prolificness.
http://www.iptrackeronline.com/email-he ... alysis.php

Wells Fargo does not actually operate out of Russia via China.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:38 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:The latter might have gotten me if the others weren't so prolific. I actually AM expecting work related documents from Wells Fargo. But the fact I get so many of these makes me look carefully at any email with an attachment, so the spammer shot himself in the foot with his own prolificness.
http://www.iptrackeronline.com/email-he ... alysis.php

Wells Fargo does not actually operate out of Russia via China.

--J.D.
Didn't need to track the IP to know it was fake. The fact that the "From" field was "(Somebody)@(Some company that isn't Well's Fargo).Com" was the biggest clue, along with the...idiosyncratic...use of English.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:44 pm

They can "spoof" the "from" field to be "@wellsfargo" or something like that.

--J.D.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:48 pm

Doctor X wrote:They can "spoof" the "from" field to be "@wellsfargo" or something like that.

--J.D.
Yeah, but they didn't this time, so that was as far as I needed to look.

Still, that site may be useful if they ever get smart enough to do that. SO thanks.

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:57 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Doctor X wrote:They can "spoof" the "from" field to be "@wellsfargo" or something like that.

--J.D.

Still, that site may be useful if they ever get smart enough to do that. SO thanks.
The last Received: header in the chain can generally be trusted. Unless your post office has been compromised.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:35 pm

DrMatt wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:

The last Received: header in the chain can generally be trusted. Unless your post office has been compromised.

The Red Coats seized it!

--J.D.