Lack of car targets for Craigslist scammers...

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Tiosylanyl
Title: The Three-eyed Raven

Lack of car targets for Craigslist scammers...

Post by Tiosylanyl »

...Or at least there appears to be.

I'm finally getting around to clearing out all of Tio Jr.'s baby stuff, and posted a couple ads on Craigslist. Within five minutes of posting the ad for his old crib, I get a text message asking if it is still available, so I answer in the affirmative, but with reservations about the California area code. I know we have several transplants in this area that keep their old phone numbers though, so I try to keep an open mind.

Anyhoo, about ten minutes later I get a series of texts:
(1/3) I am Shane,just to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item, am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be by sending

(2/3)you Check via FedEx,it will delivered to your doorstep Within 2 working days.I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in

(3/3)your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to schedule an appropriate time for he pick-up at your location after the check has been
This immediately raises red flags for me, so employing a little google-fu I find a page that discusses common Craigslist scams, and found this to fit the MO of one of the car scams listed.

I am now planning my response. Suggestions welcome.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Lack of car targets for Craigslist scammers...

Post by Rob Lister »

Text him back that there was an error in the price you posted. Apologize and tell him the price is actually twice what was originally posted. Just see how reacts. If he accepts, he probably will, double it again.

or ...

Agree to the terms and then turn away the pick-up guys. They'll come after him.

There's similar reverse scam I read about a guy in the UK buying an expensive laptop and doing the same thing. The guys he thought he was scamming set him such that they actually sent him a brick, but they listed the value on the customs form as $4000 dollars, which meant he had to pay an outrageous tariff to 'bring it in'. Which he did, because he thought it was actually what he 'bought' with a fake cashier's check.
DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

Ignore it.
Who buys a crib off Craigslist from somebody who isn't local?
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.
Tiosylanyl
Title: The Three-eyed Raven

Post by Tiosylanyl »

DrMatt wrote:Ignore it.
Oh, I wasn't taking it seriously by any stretch of the imagination. I was just thinking of fucking with them in the same manner that ed would.
DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt »

Tiosylanyl wrote:
DrMatt wrote:Ignore it.
Oh, I wasn't taking it seriously by any stretch of the imagination. I was just thinking of fucking with them in the same manner that ed would.
Oh, so your address is 600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20580.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

When I use to torment 419 and other scammers I would often use an address near where they claimed. Often, they would pretend to be in the US or London specifically--they would be coming out of Nigeria, Heavens to Betsy!

Lacking the patience for a long torturous counter-scam I would insist on transferring far more funds than Moneygram/Western Union would handle--I also could never find an office. My "Institute" would be in London--suspiciously located where a Building Society exists which handles mail for a retired detective--yet the ones "from London" could never find a local Western Union.

Much better, I would respond after they filled out copious anti-terrorism forms, if they supplied me with a bank account into which I could directly transfer funds. Unfortunately, for my bank to allow it, it be legal, MI-5/FBI agree, the bank account had to be at least a year old and have at least $20,000 in it.

I would wait.

Then I needed specific details which I will not bore people with. With those details and the transcripts of all correspondence, I would send it to a designated gentlemen with some connection with international banking agencies/law enforcement--he would not tell and you were not to ask. Within about 24 hours, the account was seized or frozen by authorities as products of a criminal enterprise.

The bosses who run these scams tend to look down on underlings who "lose" +$20,000 in their hard stolen money. One idiot did it four times in increasing desperation. Seriously. He did not make the connection of "send details of bank account with at least $20,000 in it . . . it disappears!"

Those with more patience have sent these fucktards on "Safaris"--literally traveling the globe to find the promised money. In Victoria, there is a Western-Union office near the police that now knows if someone tries to enter it claiming "this or that" they are to be arrested.

The e-mails a few weeks later--if they get bailed out--are usually quite priceless.

But then I had better things to attend to. . . .

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image